[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw born in the wrong generation I've always wanted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 7584375.jpg (60KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
7584375.jpg
60KB, 700x700px
>tfw born in the wrong generation
I've always wanted to study extraterrestial organisms, but no space program seems to be serious about drilling inside Europa or Enceladus to try and find life in other worlds in the near future
I'm 18 but I feel like the opportunity to study the insides of moons like Europe and Enceladus will not happen in my lifetime
>>
There's no life beyond earth, so you aren't missing anything.
>>
>>8690146
Here comes the bait.
>>
>>8690146
The chance that Earth is the only place in the universe where life exists is unlikely
>>
>>8690153
Well what's the chance?
>>
>>8690159
We don't know, but since there are hundreds of billions of stars in the Milky Way alone, and those hundreds of billions of star have planets and moons, the chance that only Earth has life is likely to be low
>>
>>8690129
If you're interested in studying unknown organisms you can always turn to the deep ocean. We still don't have any clue how they work most of the time.
>>
>>8690129
You gotta think business guy.
What is on those places that we can burn?
>>
>>8690153
>The chance that Earth is the only place in the universe where life exists is unlikely

In the complete absence of meaningful data, even a rough probability cannot be calculated.
>>
>>8690180
This.
However, we know life has evolved at least once, so what's stopping it evolving more than once throughout the huge expanse of the cosmos?
>>
>>8690129
go in the artificial life field then.
>>
>>8690166
>We don't know, but since there are hundreds of billions of stars in the Milky Way alone, and those hundreds of billions of star have planets and moons, the chance that only Earth has life is likely to be low

Your reasoning is flawed. We ahve no idea how likely life is to arise on a given suitable planet.

So whatever the number of suitable planets is, if life is sufficiently unlikely to arise, we may be it.

Look at it this way: The number of likely planets is X. It is a huge number. we don;t know exactly how huge. But we have no idea how likely life is to arise on a planet. Say the odds are 1 in a million -- then the huge number of planets means there is likely life all through the universe.

But say it is 1 in X. Then there may be a few more here or there, or we may be it.

Say it is 1 in a million time X, Suddenly it is likely we are the only one. 1 in a billion times X -- it becomes almost certain we're alone.

So what are the actual odds life shows up on a planet where it CAN show up? We have no fucking clue. All we know for sure is that it happened one time -- and as far as we can tell, only one time -- on Earth.
>>
>>8690191
>so what's stopping it evolving more than once throughout the huge expanse of the cosmos?

Nothing is stopping it -- but it may be really, really unlikely. See: >>8690194
>>
>>8690194
Should have proofread that -- sorry for the typos, hopefully they are not creating confusion.
>>
>>8690180
>meaningful data

Well there's life here. And the imbecile's philosophy of "we r speshul," as it applies to most religions and notions of spirituality, is clearly a product of the human brain that has been chipped away at by all forms of discovery?
>>
>>8690194
Yeah, thanks for shattering any hope I had
Where the fuck can I find new creatures then?
The earth has been explored
>>
>>8690206
>Well there's life here.

Yep. No idea what the odds are of that happening, other than there is a greater than a zero chance.

>And the imbecile's philosophy of "we r speshul," as it applies to most religions and notions of spirituality, is clearly a product of the human brain that has been chipped away at by all forms of discovery?

Your strawman is not data.

>>8690208
Don't consider your hopes shattered -- since we have no idea about the likelihood of life developing on a suitable planet, it MAY be very, very likely -- life MAY be so likely to arise that it crops up even on planets or in places where we'd guess conditions were not very suitable.

My point is not that life is in fact unlikely to exist elsewhere -- it is just that we don;t have data about likelihood, so people claiming "it is a sure thing because look how many planets there are" are leaving out a step.
>>
>>8690197
>>8690194

>but it may be really, really unlikely

And it probably isn't that unlikely. Whenever you think you're a special snowflake in a general sense, you're wrong. Consider it from the universe's perspective if such a perspective existed; you are just another arrangement of subatomic particles with emergent properties. Given the uniformity of matter, given what we do know about the universe, it's nothing short of absurd to suppose that self-replicating molecules are unique to Earth.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.