[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Taking physics for the first time and this bugs me even though

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: fig05_18.gif (13KB, 314x384px) Image search: [Google]
fig05_18.gif
13KB, 314x384px
Taking physics for the first time and this bugs me even though it's correct. Normally sin corresponds to the y-axis and cos corresponds to the x-axis. But why is it that in some cases it's the opposite like in pic related?
>>
>>8685768
Because θ is oriented differently
>>
>>8685773
Could you explain further? I get that it's oriented differently but I'm not finding it to be an intuitive reason.. Would it make sense to say that the direction the object is "falling" is the direction of the y-axis? At least I could feel at ease with that.
>>
>>8685795
One angle is measured from the vertical and one is measured from the horizontal, so the components of each are flipped. Just look at the picture and remember soh cah toa. There's nothing intrinsically "vertical" about the function sin(x)
>>
>>8685795
the sin of the angle multiplied by the magnitude of the hypotenuse of the right triangle is equal to the magnitude of the side of the right triangle opposite the angle.

stop being retarded its basic shit.
>>
how do you make a grill like you
>>
File: 1481868685792.jpg (65KB, 411x412px) Image search: [Google]
1481868685792.jpg
65KB, 411x412px
>>8685768
Can't tell if troll or freshman comp-sci major
>>
>>8685768
Oh hi, you must be using Larson, too. Sin is parallel to the x axis because it was found using Pythagoreans identity.
>>
>>8686515
To clarify, the Fg=my is the hypotenuse and mgsin=x. To find x we used sin =opposite/hypotenuse

Sin = x/mg
X =mgsin
>>
>>8685768
trigonometric functions do not 'correspond' to X or Y axis.
the rule of thumb use cosine for shit that's big the smaller the angle is (like normal force depending on angle of slope)
and sine for shit that bigger the bigger the angle is (like the force which makes the mass slide down the slope)
>>
is this a joke
>>
Think about it as going through the angle to get to an axis -> cos, and going away from ab angle to reach an axis -> sin
also cos(90-x) = cos(x-90) = sin(x)
>>
>>8688983
>>8686122
>>8686475
Can't you just shut up?
This is a science board, and a guy, genuinly interested in his science related question needs help. Who cares if this is 'elementary school' stuff.
Why aren't you happy that that guy is interested in science at all?

For fuck sake, people like you should kill yourselves.
>>
>>8689853
Lol OP, you are mad af. This board is for the discussion of science and math, not to solve a problem that every mechanics book contains.
>>
>>8689853
>not kys yourself
kek
>>
>>8685768
> gets confused by transcendental trigonometry
> doesn't know of the glory of the coming of rational trig
>>
>>8685768
an easy way to check yourself is when you set it up, what does the situation look like physically when theta is some obvious choice, like 0?

Of course the sideways force will be 0 when the angle is 0 by just looking at the picture.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.