[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I would like to make or see a Ulam Spiral made with a heptagaon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: Ulam_1.png (3KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Ulam_1.png
3KB, 400x400px
I would like to make or see a Ulam Spiral made with a heptagaon instead of a square. What is the easiest way to make or find one?
>>
Come on nerds I don't want to have to draw one. :(
>>
Can it be done? Heptagons don't tesselate. It can be done square or hexagonal because those tesselate.
>>
>>8680542

2d opengl, with a geometry shader that converts single vertices into squares
>>
>>8680568
good point
>>
What if you did it on concentric polygons of sides n where n was the prime numbers increasing from the center
>>
>>8680568
That's a very pedantic way of saying tiling. Do you feel superior for using hard words when they aren't needed? They do tile in the hyperbolic plane anyway, and that combined with the primes would make a nice picture
>>
>>8680618
>Do you feel superior for using hard words when they aren't needed?
I remember seeing a TV show about tesselation (using that word) in school when I was about 8. I'm sorry I didn't say "tiling" but the word "tesselate" was simply more immediate to me. Should I not expect people on /sci/ not to be familiar with this word?

Of course, the main irony is that you chide me for that, then go on to use a term like "hyperbolic plane".
>>
>>8680622
And, yes, I am aware of the double negative I just used here.
>>
>>8680618
Do you feel superior for calling people out on anonymous discussion boards for the way they choose to word sentences?
>>
>>8680618
you learn tesselation in fucking 7th grade geometry you dolt
>>
>>8680618
tesselate is a far better word than tile in this sentence, and I think more than half the people I ask would be able to tell me what it means anyway.

>>8680542
I'd start at a point and shift along the angle of the side you're on, and draw a point if you're on a prime. Then increment integer and side, and once you finish a heptagon you increase the step length.
>>
>>8680641
wow you sure are smart, knowing hard words, yet you didn't understand a word because your useless suggestion doesn't take int account that the heptagon doesn't fucking T-E-S-S-E-L-A-T-E
You're not making spirals you're making rings.
>>
I dunno
>>
>>8680618
>I don't know this word, so it must be one a them big fancy ones
>>
>>8680661
Exactly. Tesselation means you can make an infinitely repeating, regular grid of that shape (essential for making a spiral surely).

Ulam used a square grid but I'm sure it could be done with a hexagonal (or more accurately equilateral triangle) grid.
>>
>>8680661
You might want to look at the definition of an ulam spiral before you call my suggestion useless. OP is obviously asking if the entire shape can be a heptagon, not if each individual point can be.
>>
>>8680687
Is that a Poincare disc?
>>
File: test.png (2KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
test.png
2KB, 640x640px
Here's an attempt, OP.
>>8680542
>>
>>8680737
How are nodes between corners defined?
>>
File: test.png (4KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
test.png
4KB, 640x640px
>>8680755
Each side contains one more integer than the previous, and the distance between each integer is roughly one pixel in the direction of the side.
>>
>>8680737
>>8680775
Thanks mate!
>>
File: test.png (9KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
test.png
9KB, 640x640px
>>8680780
No worries. If only I understood that heptagons don't tesselate :p
>>
>>8680792
>If only I understood that heptagons don't tesselate :p
That's probably why no real patterns present themselves in this view.
>>
>>8681667
I see some lines tho
>>
>>8681673
Still though a spiral is probably more intuitive on a regular grid.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.