[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a book like pic related for networking? Something highly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Clrs3.jpg (50KB, 420x475px) Image search: [Google]
Clrs3.jpg
50KB, 420x475px
Is there a book like pic related for networking? Something highly respected, clear and comprehensive?

I want to understand the internet and networks from the ground up, how do computers connect? Telnet, ports, protocols, packets etc. I'm familiar with a lot of it, but it's all very disconnected to me.
>>
Check out "Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach" by Kurose and Ross. Very thorough and detailed book.
>>
UNIX Network Programming
>>
>>8678411
I 2nd this.
>>
>>8678411
this

make sure to get the 7th edition as there are real differences between the 6th and 7th.

sadly, I am unable to locate the 7th anywhere online and had to purchase a physical copy. If any anon is able to provide a copy of

amazon com/Computer-Networking-Top-Down-Approach-7th/dp/0133594149

you will be a god among men
>>
>>8678411
>uses java

crap
>>
>>8678683
it uses python you retard
>>
>>8678685
at any rate, there is hardly any programming involved
for the most part the book covers protocols. not implementations
>>
>>8678683
oh look another "hurr java sux. OOP stoopid" parrots
>>
>>8678411
i love this book

it's fun to try to figure out how these things are implemented in your favorite language, and then just giving up and creating your own virtual network simulator
>>
>>8678306
Read the RFCs/play around with sockets (C).
The CCNA/etc cert books are also quite useful, but I have yet to come across a comprehensive guide that covers *everything* for a seasoned network architect/engineer.
>>
>>8678411
>>8678414
>>8678859

Thanks for the advice guys.

For example, I just connected to a state tax department (not my state) to pay some taxes. I had to register an account. But I honestly have no idea how to confirm that I logged into their site, and not a perfect impostor. Between those 3 suggestions, I ought to be able to answer this, I presume?

That's just one example, and I know it's more high-level than nitty-gritty, but I hope it gets my point across. I think it has something to do with DNS and SSL certificates, but I could hardly explain what those are, and how I know it's not being spoofed.
>>
>>8679454
Network security is a different subject, and it's closer to pure math, but it should be at least quoted by kurose book
>>
>>8678411
fuck you shill. shitty book for literal brainlets who need extensive explaination of the simplest issues. Kurose is a huge waste of time, and very superficial too
>>
>>8679466
OP here, what would you suggest?

>>8679463
Okay, maybe that's what I'm looking for then. I always figured the best way to understand security is through an understanding of how the systems operate. What's an appropriate book for network security?
>>
>>8679454
>no idea how to confirm

You can only believe (not think) in 100% (perfection). No one can confirm with certainty. There are lots of scammers, cheats and liars out there (bad people), with not a clue how to be positive, useful members of society. They have lots of time in their worthless lives but cause problems. Everyone, including them, suffers from perverted data (lies).
>>
>>8679466
not everyone was able to pick up little bits of networking knowledge over the years as a result of being a shut-in.

yes, if you don't know shit about networking, or barely anything about it, then a book like a top down approach is appropriate where everything is explained in detail
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.