[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi sci I'm a guy that doesn't know maths beyond basic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1485325309327.gif (257KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1485325309327.gif
257KB, 480x360px
Hi sci

I'm a guy that doesn't know maths beyond basic operations like adding and dividing.

What textbook should I get that could teach me high school maths so I understand functions and the like?
>>
>>8677489
who told you about functions!!!???

where did you get this information!!!
>>
>>8677495
The news
>>
>>8677489
Elements of Algebra by Euler (https://archive.org/details/ElementsOfAlgebraLeonhardEuler2015)

Algebra by Gelfand and Shen
Functions and Graphs by Gelfand, Glagoleva, and Shnol
The Method of Coordinates by Gelfand, Glagoleva, and Kirillov
Trigonometry by Gelfand and Saul

Basic Mathematics by Lang

A Transition to Advanced Mathematics by Smith, Eggen, and St. Andre

Introduction to Calculus and Analysis, Volumes I&II by Richard Courant and Fritz John
>>
>>8677529
Thanks for this, are they posted in order, should I start with the first one there?
>>
Khan Acadamy, friend.

I did the Algebra Basics -> Algebra I -> Trigonometry -> Algebra II -> Precalc missions and it gave me a solid foundation in math
>>
>>8678729
ignore 99% of what that guy just said

all you need from his list is Lang's Basic Mathematics and then when you finish then Lang has more books that build off eachother

Gelfand and Euler are overkill, unless you're trying to train for math competitions or some shit it'll take a month just to do one problem

supplement the parts of the books you dont understand with youtube/khan academy
>>
>>8678729
so basically the order of his books go

Basic Mathematics
First Course in Calculus
Calculus of Several Variables
Intro to Linear Algebra/Linear Algebra
etc
>>
>>8678729
Or, you actually can choose between Serge Lang and Morris Kline

Another option, which provides more of a historical understanding of math which is probably more entertaining

Morris Kline's Mathematics for the Nonmathematician

and then

Morris Kline's Calculus: Intuitive Approach
>>
>>8678777
What about basic mathematics and later single variable calculus by stewart and multivariable calculus?
After single variable i would start witg linear algebra, dont know what books to reccomend tho
>>
>>8678788
he can probably figure that out if he actually finishes those two morris kline books

ive admittedly never read stewart and everyone loves it here, so i can't recommend it but morris kline was everything i hoped for
in terms of intuitionally understanding maths and the context behind its development
>>
Good posts lads, I'm taking everything into consideration.

To note I'm not going to train for any competition, I just want a high school level math knowledge for now, that's my medium term goal, maybe until summer I'll achieve this.
>>
>>8678774
>Gelfand and Euler are overkill, unless you're trying to train for math competitions or some shit it'll take a month just to do one problem

Wut? Euler is incredibly readable. Sure Euler covers more material than what is typical in an Algebra I class but that's just more practice which is good. Gelfand is harder but nothing impossible.

>all you need from his list is Lang's Basic Mathematics

Jumping into Precalculus without doing Algebra is going to be too fast paced for most people.
>>
>>8680134
Still haven't decided and I keep lurking the thread every now and then, I'm thinking of starting with the Lang book and do Khan academy courses in parallel, what do you think, would that be a good way to start?
>>
>>8677489
basic mathematics by serge lang is the only book you need before calculus.
>>
>>8680134
it's not simply precalculus he covers the simple stuff

also i was talking about gelfand when talking about the math competition thing, euler is just plain overkill -- it's like suggesting euclid's elements to learn geometry .. like sure it would maybe be fun, or interesting, but it's overkill and unnecessary

>>8680751
anon i was already here (>>8678774)
(>>8678777 )
>>
We really need to switch the sticky image to a copy of Lang's Basic Mathematics with READ THIS IF YOU DON'T KNOW BASIC MATH stamped on it

would save so many threads
>>
>>8680769
this

i mean there's other good books but that's the one with the least bullshit (that i've read)
>>
File: 1485695822316.jpg (60KB, 640x464px) Image search: [Google]
1485695822316.jpg
60KB, 640x464px
>>8680769
OP here, I've read the sticky but it's like recommending to read eight books just to understand a couple of things, I think that's too much so I asked here in hopes there were other like me that didn't learn math in school and wanted to learn it now on their own.

After all, I'll go with Lang's book and Khan academy courses, thanks for the answers.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.