[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am considered above average in height and I would want to carry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: image.gif (1000KB, 500x387px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1000KB, 500x387px
I am considered above average in height and I would want to carry that on to my future children. However I'm curious as to how genes would work with the choosing of a partner. If I were to have children with a short women, would the offspring be below average height or unaffected by the mother genes and carry above average height? A bit complicated but very curious as to how it works
>>
>>8676008
Height is one of those traits that has several genes controlling it, so the height will be somewhere in between that of the mother and father, adjusting for sex.
>>
>>8676008
You're not gonna have kids.
>>
>>8676008
>Implying you will ever have children.
>>
Do you know what punnett squares are?
>>
>>8676057
>Height is one of those traits that has several genes controlling it,

And is also profoundly influenced by environment -- proper nutrition in the growing child is vital.
>>
>>8676008
Not really an issue you have to grapple with unless you have two women willing to marry you.

And remember, it is better to have loved a short woman than to never have loved a tall.
>>
>>8676008
>I am considered above average in height
prob abov aberage in weight too if you cathc my drift sucker
>>
>>8676008

You 'can' have tall children even with a short wife, but you'll be much more likely to have taller ids if you pick a tall wife.
>>
File: stupid.png (133KB, 313x382px) Image search: [Google]
stupid.png
133KB, 313x382px
>>8676843
>dat pun

I don't say this lightly, but please, for the love of God, consider suicide.
>>
>5 posts in and nobody even mentions the breeder equation

fucking plebs

R = Sh^2

R is response to selection -- expected value of the difference of the kid's height from average
S is selection differential -- average of parent height differences from the respective sex averages
h^2 is additive heritability. For height this is about 0.8-0.9, i.e. highly genetic

We'll work in standard deviations (sigmas) to make things easier. Suppose you're 2 sigma taller than the average height for men, and your wife is 1.5 sigma taller than the average height for women. The average of these is 1.75, and that's the value we use for S.

Take 0.8 for the heritability: R = 0.8*1.75 = 1.4, so the average height of your kids will be 1.4 standard deviations taller than the average of the population once they grow up to adulthood.

This isn't a guarantee. Your kid might get lots of short genes and grow up much shorter, or might get lots of tall genes and overshoot both of you. If you have lots of kids though, the average of their heights will hover around this value.

Of course this is all assuming you feed them right, they're getting enough exercise and all the other environmental things aren't outside normal bounds. This also doesn't take into account any rare non-additive syndromes that make them freakish dwarves or giants, and it also doesn't take into account de novo mutations (so don't stand around radiation sources or anything).
>>
>>8676861
tldr they'll probably be taller than their classmates but not as tall as you. imperfect heritability means regression to the mean.
>>
It would be more of a roll of the dice with a short woman. You could luck out and get only your height genes and not hers and a tall baby, a mix of both and an avg height baby, or her height genes and not yours and a short baby
>>
>>8676057
If that were true no one would be taller than their parents, and the human race would slowly shrink every generation, which is the opposite of whats happening..
>>
>>8677401
read adjusting for sex tard
>>
>>8676834
you're retarded if you think you can use punnett squares to determine a trait such as height.
>>
>>8676008
In the end, in the practical world, it's a crap shoot.
I'd be more worried about their health and, especially, if they were born emotionally and mentally slow. Horrible burden on them; and you. Then there are all the kids suiciding and overdosing. You'd have to cowardly blame the drug dealers or courageously face your own mistakes and want to kill yourself.
And things are getting exponentially worse in our world, so I wouldn't suffer a child here to fill my empty life, to amuse myself at their expense.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.