[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does light have a speed limit? c = ~3x10^8 m/s I know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0005.jpg (114KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0005.jpg
114KB, 640x360px
Why does light have a speed limit?

c = ~3x10^8 m/s

I know that when an object gains velocity, it gains mass and it keeps gaining more mass until you approach an assymptote at c. This doesn't answer the question though.

Why is there a speed limit at that speed? Why is there a limit at all? Does science have any hypotheses?
>>
The statement is wrong. Light has a variable speed. Light is energy. And us humans call that kind of energy light because we can see it. But energy can not be constant. First it has to start, and then it WILL fade.
>>
>>8672903
>Why is there a speed limit at that speed?

That's more a question for philosophy than science.
>>
>>8672981
Did you know that if you click the first link of a Wikipedia article's text and keep repeating that, you almost always end up on the philosophy page? At the end of the day, everything is philosophy, isn't it?
>>
>>8673036
>didyaknow
>didyaknow

F
>>
>>8672981

Not really. If you suppose the space is isotropic and that physical laws still the same in every galilean referential you can prove there is a limit speed.

Although the proof is not really rigorous.
>>
>>8672903
What accommodating photons: All of them traveling at the same speed, exact to infinity!
That's incredible: as in incredibly stupid to believe.
>>
>>8672903
>Why
The universe don’t owe you shit. Accept it or not, it changes nothing.
>>
File: 1486865736604.jpg (55KB, 563x548px) Image search: [Google]
1486865736604.jpg
55KB, 563x548px
>>8672903
because light is a wave that travels through a medium
Of course, you might say that there's no medium because a tiny interferometer built by some fuckwits 100 years ago couldn't detect it
LIGO disproves that, however
>>
>>8672903
It has nothing to do with light. Light speed is just the maximum oscillation speed for an EM wave.

C should really be called the the speed of causality.
>>
>>8672903
>Why does light have a speed limit?

It doesn't. It has a maximum rate of induction.
>>
>>8675320

Waves are not things.

Waves are what things do.

You go to the beach and see waves? No, you go to the beach and see water. The water is there whether it is forming waves or not.

Where is light when it is not waving?
>>
>>8675306

brb, dumping the extra photons out of my glasses. They tend to get all clogged up.

>>8675363
Or the maximum rate of induction.
>>
>>8675370
Light is always waving. Waves are not nothing, they're a transference of energy.
>>
Only the Bogdanoff know.
>>
>>8675370
what you're thinking of is "the electromagnetic field"

or maybe "the photon field", if u wanna get all quantum
>>
>>8672903
Waves can have a phase velocity greater than the speed of light. However, information can only travel at the speed of light, i.e the group velocity of a superposition of waves must always be less than or equal to c. Why c? I guess because it's the fastest thing we've be able to measure
>>
>>8675320
I love this.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.