[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on Tom Campbell and his My Big T.O.E. theory? He b

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1474145641976.jpg (61KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
1474145641976.jpg
61KB, 736x736px
Thoughts on Tom Campbell and his My Big T.O.E. theory?

He believes we live in a "virtual" reality in a way that everything in our dimension is information rather than material and our consciousness is physically interacting with our bodies from a separate dimension .

Is he a clown or could he be on to something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV95anuFDQU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_RwcGzGurc
>>
>>8672664
Always interesting stuff, but I feel like whether or not he's onto something is irrelevant at this point.

Quantum science is leaps away from understanding the "fabric of this universe". If we go as small as there is (Not as small as we can) and find everything is 1's and 0's, I'd be interested.

Likewise medical science is still pretty far from understanding consciousness.
>>
>>8672681
Wouldn't quantum science have a better chance at understanding consciousness than medical science?
>>
I took him seriously. I didn't 100% believe him but I took him seriously. I really liked his idea that the universe doesn't even decide what happens unless something is there to observe it, because it doesn't care. Similar to Minecraft, in his own words, because chunks don't actually "exist" unless the player is in it to observe it.

Then he went off and started talking about how we're all part of a greater being of interdimensional consciousness, and that this consciousness splits itself into smaller bits inside mortal bodies in order to mature itself, and when we die we go back into big larger consciousness. I'm 100% serious he actually said that this was the implication of his theory.
>>
This sounds like a theory countless people have had, including everyone who has ever smoked marijuana in their fucking life
There is no way to test whether or not we live in a simulation because if we do, everything we know about reality is based on its rules, there is no differentiation between this and the """"real world"""" that we can make without completely speculating
Tbqh defining our entire universe as a single type of thing (a simulation, a hologram, god's anal bead, etc.) is laughably baseless every single time it is attempted
>>
>>8672664
Reality is "subjective"!
It doesn't matter if there's a physical world or not: merely that we analyze data and interact in a rational and civilized manner (as if it did exist and it does matter how we affect others).
>>
>>8672664
If someone comes up with a working "model" of Reality that defines the earth as flat...Does it matter?
>>
>>8672664
>T.O.E. theory
like PIN number, HIV virus, etcetera
>>
>>8672919
like sci Science & Math
>>
>>8672664
I think it is fucking stupid unless you explain the idea better. We aren't living in a simulation, but higher dimensions we cannot perceive might exist.

Your human brain creates concepts about your environment and your senses are interpreted against those concepts. The little movie that plays in your head is a simplification of reality and it is useful enough for most humans to survive, mate and continue the species.

The holographic universe and its a simulation bro are all cult religious bullshit.
>>
>>8672681
>If we go as small as there is (Not as small as we can) and find everything is 1's and 0's, I'd be interested.
Only that if we were to live in the simulation we wouldn't be seeing ones and zeroes, even if we could model our reality as built on top of such a system, it'd remain a theory. We would be constrained to the rules of what our physical perception (a model) can perceive (within the rules of the model) about the primitive physical elements of the model.

And then, who's to say that the computer in which we are running works like the computers we've created so far, at all? Already we can think of wildly different models of computation than those we use every day. The basic elements of the computation need not be binary, and it need not be a linear array of memory either.
>>
He leaps, leaps, leaps to conclusions based on the paradigm shift from material to information we see when we're dealing with quantum mechanics
>>
>>8672664
The cognitive dissonance here is insane. This is religion, not science.
>>
How you guys make the time to listen to such long talks about consciousness and physics?
I couldn't do any actual research if I listened to things like that.
>>
i want to eat that torus
>>
When adapting a large problem like this it is much more expedient to first consider "This could be good." instead of "How could this thing that would be considered bad be interpreted/protracted as good."
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.