[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If we have evolved to throw things far and accurately (more or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Catch.jpg (26KB, 580x539px) Image search: [Google]
Catch.jpg
26KB, 580x539px
If we have evolved to throw things far and accurately (more or less) for hunting purposes, what purpose does catching things serve? Pure self-defense? We can do it rather well to say the least.
>>
What is the biological advantage of having evolved to shitpost on the internet?

checkmate athiests
>>
>>8672261
I thought of self-defense: as in avoiding being punctured by an arrow from a "slow" fellow hunter. Catching is the complement of "moving the hell out of the way to avoid that arrow." It also helped dealing with all the uncivilized people who could not hand things to other people politely.

> We can do it rather well
In fact, most people are severely uncoordinated: their posture and gate is deformed as if by malnutrition (lacking one or more vital amino acids in childhood) and immaturity (senselessness, again can be caused by malnutrition).
>>
>>8672261
>Still falling for the evolution lie
>>
>climbs tree
>throws bananas from tree
>someone else catches the bananas

if you just throw them to the ground without someone catching them somebody else could steal them while you're on the tree or they could break
>>
maybe catching rabits or birds
> throw a stone at a bird
>bird falls from the tree
>you catch the bird

if you dont catch it it could recover and fly away
>>
Catching is more a consequence of pretty advanced proprioceptive skills humans have.

We're good at throwing, there's the hand-eye stuff that comes in, and catching is combining hand-eye and proprioception, works out real good.
>>
>>8672261
Might just be that catching involves the sames sort of coordination (judging distance, speed, arc, etc) that throwing does?

Or that following and predicting movement are useful in hunting smaller animals and or fighting.
>>
>>8672261
We didn't really evolve to catch though. Try catching a rock or spear that's thrown at you, you'll become horribly injured or die.
>>
Catching seems to be more of a learned skill than throwing. Try playing catch with a 3 year old and they will completely fail to catch shit even if you throw it as lightly as possible, but that same kid will be able to throw something relatively accurately.

That's just my anecdotal experience, though.
>>
>>8672269
/Thread
>>
>>8672261
catching small animals, running after a rat and grabbing it is basically the same as catching a ball.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.