[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /sci/ Im a beginner at c programming language and theres

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: i_have_a_question.jpg (58KB, 620x451px) Image search: [Google]
i_have_a_question.jpg
58KB, 620x451px
Hey /sci/

Im a beginner at c programming language and theres a lot of learning resources out tgere but i was thinking of something that would be really helpful, and im hoping that it exists.

So the idea is that its basically like coding but in chunks at a time so like instead of typing out all the code character by character, you have bits and pieces already put together and you just need to sort of fit them together properly.

If anybodys played human resource machine, its like that but with the actual syntax.

Anyways the point is i figure something like this must exist. Just curious if anybofy knows. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>8671516
Lots of things like that exist, and they're generally seen by programmers as a waste of time.
Once you have experience with programming you don't write programs "a character at a time" anyway, you create the bits and pieces and string them together mentally as you work.
>>
Hey OP, check out hackerrank challenges, I think you'll like it.

Basically you're given input(s), and your task is to make a program that produces a certain output.

You don't have to do it in C, you can also try other programming languages to do the task. There's support for a lot of languages.

It's very much like Human Resource Machine.
>>
>>8671516

I liked "Learn C the Hard Way" back when I first started learning because it basically would start you off with a concept, and then send you off to try to break shit.

It was free back then. I think he charges for it now. It's too bad. You can probably find it for free online somewhere.
>>
Thanks for all the replies

>>8671542
>>8671530
Ill def look into these

>>8671522
I see what you mean here anon but my issue as of now is that i dont understand the basic rules behind syntax. I get that ; ends a statement and = is an assignment while == is a check. But i want to get used to seeing syntax work because its my weakness while the logic part of coding seems to always be easy for me, although im aware that my current projects are all very basic for the purpose of learning.
>>
My advice is to get a physical book, some post it notes (best bookmarks ever), and a highlighter pen.
>>
>>8671516

that's retarded because that's what a programming language already is

if you have trouble remembering syntax and such then you just need to try harder
>>
>>8671516
Are you using notepad?
Doesn't your developer environment provide code snippets, auto-complete and a whole whack of tools? So you "rarely have to type all that shit." Visual Studio is ok, though it's too much faerie bill to be good.
Even database management systems have point and click query building and templates.
>>
The problem is OP that what your describing is essentially what coding is, but another step up.

What you describing is to coding as coding is to whats called machine language.

The main issue for someone so new to coding is that its never introduced properly. The history of the language and the structure are never covered before getting into the guts of writing it.

Its unfortunate, but its what the competitive market of industry dictated colleges teach cuz most people are plug and chug brainlets.

IMO, just from reading your post, it sounds like you haven't done much coding, because working with simple short programs doesn't make this kind of thinking.

This kind of thinking only evolves after exhaustion.

So you are either a brainlet, or taking too big a bite, which likely means underage, foreigner, or educationally malnourished.

Either way, just do a shit ton more lurking here and /g/, browsing wikipedia, google, etc.
>>
>>8673698
Thanks for the advice. I was working on some code today. Ita fruatrating at times because the solutions to my problems are always so simple yet getting there tends to take some time. I mean, for example, if i had a tutor or friend who was available and knowledgeable i feel like i could learn a lot more in the same amount of time.

Anyways yeah what you said aounda about right, just gotta power through it and try things till i figure it out.
>>
Are there anyone good introductory textbooks on algorithms and data structures?
>>
>>8673833
The good news is there's a shit-ton of resources.

I'd personally start with /g/ wiki, but be careful not to spend too much time ricing your phone OS.

Then check out their textbook recommendations.

Then read them.

All the while you should be learning a language. Don't be a brainlet, learn Haskell first, or at least C.

Save object oriented or python till later unless you're bound and determined to compete with the 'jeet.

Read shit like the ACM magazine, and other journals. Be reading in depth wikipedia articles till you don't feel like a dumbass anymore.

>I'll say it once if you aren't subscribed to computerphile on YouTube you won't go anywhere fast

Use reddit, and don't let fuckheads let you feel bad about it, some shit there is useful, just don't bring their content style here. Use other accessory shit like codecademy and khan academy if you must absolutely be spoonfed and are bent on sucking dick.
>>
>>8674008
>>8674008
Check the catalog for /sci/ and /g/ for textbook threads.

One I do know is considered a bible is MIT's intro to algorithms
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.