[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be me >calc ii >one month in >already failing so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

File: index.png (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
index.png
5KB, 225x225px
>be me
>calc ii
>one month in
>already failing so bad i can't possibly pass the course
>indian girl next to me gets 100 every assignment and every test
>go to tutoring, tutors are idiots
>go to office hours
>prof literally gives /sci/ tier advice: "do more problems to you get good"
>try to do practice problems, don't know where to start
>have to change my major because I can't do calculus, going from Chemistry to Anthropology
>tfw finally forced to confront the fact that i am a true brainlet

What course made you realize you were a brainlet?
>>
>>8666294
I'm afraid I don't know that feel, OP, but you have my condolences.
>>
Calc 2
I did it over the summer
It moves fucking fast
Got so pissed off i got drunk and totaled my car
I have a DUI now
Mfw
>>
>>8666294
>failing calc 2
>drop it
>do it again

It's not that hard, OP. If you actually let all of the fools who have no meaning in their lives other than to satisfy their own egos get to you when they call you silly names then you weren't meant to make it anyway.
>>
>>8666312
>failing a high school course in college
>not literally grocery clerk tier retarded
>>
>>8666315
Get back to studying your anthropology you spineless idiot.
>>
>>8666317
>Anthropology
>doesn't use calculus to study population growth/ decline/ migration patterns

You do know anthro isn't some lame sjw major, right? It's human behavioral ecology.
>>
>>8666294
Failed calc I last semester, I feel like shit about it

Too much reading the book, not enough practicing problems. Didn't study for the exams or final mostly... Shit's hard man, idk why everybody makes it out to be so easy, college math classes are hard, all college courses are hard at least any that are worth taking have been in my experience so far
>>
File: 1486274421813.jpg (8KB, 250x236px) Image search: [Google]
1486274421813.jpg
8KB, 250x236px
>>8666315
>tfw I am a grocery clerk and have a hard time with precalc
>>
>>8666325
>Shit's hard man, idk why everybody makes it out to be so easy
for e-peen of course
>>
>>8666322
>implying I was calling you an idiot for studying anthropology
>implying I wasn't calling you an idiot for being a stupid drama queen and changing the direction of your life because you got your feelings hurt by some teenagers on a chinese imageboard and possibly by some professors who are effectively dead inside
>>
>>8666294
>>8666326

Easily solved. Calculus is probably approachable to anyone.

Use free resources like Khan Academy or PatrickJMT. It'll click at some point.
>>
I can't relate anon. I got my ass kicked in precal and from then on, I studied my ass off and got an A in calc 1-3, ODE and Linear.

Now this semester, I'm in computer science, dynamics, materials and circuits, all junior level classes and now its getting hard.

I'm disappointed that you made excuses, compared yourself to others like they should be below you and then quit because a class required more effort than you felt like putting in.

Good luck with anthropology, hopefully you quit that too before the debt piles up too high.
>>
>>8666334
OP here.
I've tried Khan, and I find he moves too quickly through the parts I don't understand and too slowly through the parts I do. I've started watching UCI's online calc 2 course videos, are those any good?

>>8666312
This is what I'm going to do. I'm going to drop and try retaking it in the summer when I don't have other courses and can concentrate fully on it. In the meantime I'm going to memorize the derivative and integrals of every trig function since the trig is the hardest part for me and I know I need a mastery of that now.
>>
>>8666325
You have to memorize like 40 identities and know how to do some stuff like find the critical point, limits, min/max, squeeze theorem, mean value theorem and intermediate value theorem.

Its fucking easy if you do 10 or 20 problems a day.
>>
>>8666341

I don't know anything about UCI. Look up Patrick JMT
>>
>Thermo 1
>first exam
>73
>fuck
>second exam
>60
>fuckfuckfuckfuck
>get my shit together
>project
>80
>final exam
>86

with the final curve I got a B-

Get your shit together
>>
>>8666351
MV and IV are common sense.
min/max is just take the derivative, set equal to 0, and solve then plot on number line and test numbers between
critical points same thing as min/max except 2nd derivative
limits are basically look and graph/ plug in number and durrr

Calc 1 is just new ways of applying algebra. Calc II you have to develop a new kind of intuition when looking at a function.
>>
>>8666361
You don't need this "new kind of intuition."

The most difficult part of calc 2 is finding the area between 2 curves. That's it. The rest is just new shit that can't fit into calc 1 and testing to see if a series converges or diverges.

calc 1 and 2 are just rehashing everything from precal and applying calculus identities to it with a little work in between to set up your integrals or derivatives. Then theres series which I can't imagine how thats hard. Series was a relief for me.
>>
File: 1448159166922.jpg (10KB, 250x297px) Image search: [Google]
1448159166922.jpg
10KB, 250x297px
>took calc 2
>put in no more effort than doing the graded hw
>kind of interesting, slightly complicated
>take the final without studying and get a B
>find out later the class has like a 50% fail rate

Yes, you are a brainlet. You shouldnt post on this board if taylor series are too complex for you, theyre literally engineer-tier.
>>
>>8666378
>tfw shit at math but write English and Lit papers a couple hours before they are due and get A+ for first unedited draft, and get A+'s in Spanish without studying

Must suck being a linguistic brainlet.
>>
File: 1427625093714.jpg (32KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
1427625093714.jpg
32KB, 500x373px
>>8666391
>implying because im not shit at math i must be a linguistic brainlet
>implying being good at languages is anywhere close to as desirable as being good at math.

Enjoy writing your pretty prose while i advance humanity's knowledge, kid.
>>
>>8666371
In my opinion that shits easy, hardest part for me was finding out the integral of a particular weird ass volumetric object and then converting it to polar/cylindric coordinates and then solve it. Oh also fuck series in Calc 2, never understood them completely and I don't care to learn them now that I'm so far away from it.
>>
>>8666341
Check out Professor Leonard. He's slow and repeats himself often, so the easy parts are tough to get through, but there's no way you could get through the video without understanding what he taught.
>>
>>8666359
>B-
>having your shit together
Pick one and only one
>>
Calc 2 really isn't that hard. I had an utterly terrible professor that spent most of the class talking about going to gay bars and kidnapping celebrities. I passed with an A and have a good understanding of calculus. There really isn't a good excuse, you're either not trying or not utilizing assets.

Look up Professor Leonard on youtube and watch all of his lectures. It will help you.

>>8666391
I'm a dual major in Spanish and Chemistry.
The skill sets aren't mutually exclusive, and insect-like specialization isn't a sign of intelligence.
>>
I'm only up to taking calc 2, but every math class I've had is literally

1. Introduce thing.
2. Show how to do thing.
3. Do thing

Does it ever change? From my limited experience, math is the most straight forward, easy to learn subject you can take. You put enough time into it, make sure there aren't too many gaps in your knowledge, and it's easy.
>>
>>8666512
Anything Pre Calc-III (inclusive) is just (((engineering)))-tier math and is easy as fuck. Real math requires actual thought and logic, it isn't easy after you complete the brainlet shit.
>>
>>8666496
taco
>>
>>8666294
>tutors are dumb
>my prof is an idiot
>I'm not the problem here

what a fucking child you are, the only way you get better at integrals is practicing them
>>
>>8666636

I think the OP finally admitted that he was the problem in the last line.
>>
>>8666294
lmao fucking brainlet
>>
>>8666378
>>8666391
>tfw both of these.

Homework was never graded in Calc II. I didn't do a single assignment. Showed up to lectures, took notes. Reviewed notes in car on way to school before exams. Ended up with a B in the class.

I would have had an A, but I'm a distractable dumbass and scatterbrained and always do shit on exams like drop out a constant when I'm rewriting lines to show work or some obvious stupid mistake.

Write single draft research papers the night before (or morning of) English lit class. Get A+ and prof keeps my paper as s student model to use in future classes. End up with a B+ class in that class because I didn't read the syllabus like a tard and didn't realize attendance was graded so I skipped 4-5 classes over the semester. Our time spent in class was wasted and I hated driving all the way out to school (it was my only class on those days) to have my time wasted.

Taking Calc3 and DiffEq this semester. Calc3 is difficult because the instructor is pretty shit. Super thick Chinese accent, incredibly disorganized, constantly writes her own examples wrong so we waste time in class trying to solve an impossible problem and trying to figure out where she messed up. It's really frustrating.
>>
So many people told me Calc II would be incredibly hard. When exactly is it supposed to get difficult? I am still waiting.
>>
>>8666636
Read his post until the end, Timmy.
>>
>>8666334
Seconded. PatrickJMT did in ten minutes what my professor couldn't do in two hours. He's why I passed Calc III.
>>
>>8666294
I realized I was a brainlet a long time ago. I could always do math, but I never really tried, and although I survived my calc courses they were never the best grades. But, doing poorly wasn't why I was a brainlet; it was that I convinced myself that hard work didn't pay off, and that I'd never find a successful method of proceeding. I didn't do well because I gave up. That's the brainlet-est thing to do.

Have you always struggled with Math? This is something you build on over time. The Indian Girl probably has a solid foundation, yours might be weaker and thereby increasing the difficulty of the course. I bet if you went full-on Rocky Mode, you'd have a shot. Success starts with the realization that nothing should come between you and your goals, not shitty professors or tutors or anything.
>>
>>8666406
You're getting into calc 3 and setting up triple integrals can be tough for sure.
>>
>>8666378
Engineer here

this
>>
>>8667158
I found it hard, but not incredibly hard
>>
>>8666294
>indian girl next to me gets 100 every assignment and every test

gee wiz anon, maybe ask the fucking girl to help you or tell her how you're feeling about the class, or are you too autistic to talk to a girl? fuck off.
>>
Professor Leonard or PatrickJMT. Pau'ls math notes, work ethic.
>>
>>8668776
Lmao only brainlets talk to girls faggot.
>>
>>8666496
Rofl, do you take calc 2 at csn?
>>
OP, no one here has said yet, so I will - if you're struggling in the first few weeks of calc 2, which are usually dedicated to integration, it's probably because your trig/algebra/derivative skills are lacking. This is the part where "just doing problems" helps. You don't need to be able to do all the problems, or even any of them, to start, but DO start. Over time you'll start to remember tricks, identities, etc. Maks flash cards with trig identifies, trig and inverse trig derivatives. If this doesn't help go back to calculus 1 because you don't understand limits or derivatives. Not the end of the world.
>>
File: 1486777183343.jpg (90KB, 847x944px) Image search: [Google]
1486777183343.jpg
90KB, 847x944px
>>8666294
>Take calc 2 at 7am with Professor Leonard
>Fail with a 68% because fuck 7am classes
>Retake calc 2 with a shit tier professor
>Pass with an 89%
I could've gotten a better grade if I turned in the last homework assignment.
>>
>>8666294
pay for a private tutor
>>
>>8666322
>You do know anthro isn't some lame sjw major, right?
it is now, good luck publishing anything even remotely close to actual science.
>>
I don't get people that say they can't do math. If you can understand why 1+1=2 then you can go all the way. It's just a series of logical leaps. Some people may be able to take larger leaps, but everyone can leap. If you don't understand something, then you just need someone to break it down into smaller leaps for you.
>>
>tfw can't afford this semester
>tfw see all my friends advancing in their careers and getting internships
>tfw neet because cant find any job or labs
i need help guys
im also incredibly lonely
>>
>currently in precalc after not taking any math classes in 3 years and already starting to struggle
>shooting the shit with a guy in my chemistry class
>he mentions he was worried because he only had a 96% in Honor's Linear Algebra & Analytic Geometry II
y-you too
>>
>>8668976
>can't afford this semester

I am so sorry that you live in a third world country where higher education isn't free.
>>
>>8668981
higher education isn't free in the US
>>
>>8668986
>that'sthejoke.jpg
>itsnotajoke.gif
>>
>>8668986
yeah that's why he said third world country

it's free in France, most powerful country in the world

gonna get my masters in physics with no debt, don't be mad faggots
>>
You can just brute force your way through math and dont be afraid to retake shit. I really struggle with math but so far I've done
>up through calc III
>Linear Algebra
>Discrete math
In Diff Eq now
>>
>>8666294
>>prof literally gives /sci/ tier advice: "do more problems to you get good"

either this or somebody here has a magic pill that raises IQ

you are supposed to train/repeat until the appropriate brain cells grow.
>>
>>8666341
Watching someone drone on about math is not going to help you in the slightest. This is why so many undergrads fail classes and complain about how their professors can't teach. You need to be an active participant in math, and that means actually doing things you don't know how to do yourself.
>>
>>8666294
>be a dedicated /pol/ poster
>redpilled on the superiority of my brain to those of the filthy pooinloos
>go to calculus ready to understand it with ease much like my ancestors who invented the subject
>pajeet aces test after test with ease while i'm already a dead man walking with 8 weeks left in the course
>come to /sci/ demanding an explanation
Don't give up anon

"I can't possibly pass" is rarely true, say you start turning in every assignment, attend every class, and get 100 on the final, the professor will find some lost points for you every time
>>
Can't believe that people have a hard time in calc 2.

Where I am from, calc 3 tier shit is taught during the sophomore year in secondary school.
>>
>>8666294
I had to take waves and oscillations as a physics major freshman year. The co-req was calc ii and during the course the professor have us work that required calc iii (wtf?!). If I had taken my time I probably could have gotten through calc ii, but my gpa was so fucked I was forced to switch to policy instead. :'(

It's a miracle I don't have a chip on my shoulder because at least I like what I'm studying now.
>>
File: 1427365208909.png (422KB, 665x662px) Image search: [Google]
1427365208909.png
422KB, 665x662px
>fought tooth and nail through ordinary diff eq
>turns out it wasn't necessary for my degree
>registered for it accidentally

I'm so fucking mad

I got an A in the class, but still
>>
>>8670982
I did the same thing, it was a good refresher though. There's plenty of DEs in any science so you should be fine. Just means you'll have more knowledge.
>>
>>8670990
I'm majoring in computer science

Not sure why I even thought diffeq was needed
>>
>people ITT bragging about acing Calculus

It's literally the EASIEST math course you can take in university. Come back when you've taken a complex variables class.
>>
>>8668776
>>8668778
>>8668808

This.

>>8668781
Not this. This is the kind of
> muh IQ
attitude that has ruined /sci/

>>8671035
You are so right. Plus, in order to truly understand calculus and analysis, you really need to know complex numbers and their properties.
>>
isnt calc 2 just application of calc 1 ?

how did you pass calc 1 but are completely lost in calc 2
>>
>>8666300
Calc 2 not even 1s
>>
>>8671035
>>8671202
kill yourselves, fucking engineers trying to feel better than freshment because they took the idiot tier watered down we-cant-call-this-analysis-so-we-call-it-complex-variable
>>
>>8666294
>prof gives him the only good advice
>he's such a brainlet that instead of following it he switches major to a brainlet field

brainlets, will they ever learn?
>>
>>8671566
Why are you so angry friend?
>>
>>8671588
answer me, in how many threads have I told you to kill yourself?
>>
Always a confidence boost to see a bigger brainlet then yourself on /sci/.

Thanks OP.
>>
>chemistry
>calc ii
>chemistry
>calc ii

can you give me an example of the material? how advanced does your math knowledge have to be to do chemistry
>>
File: 88XtWHT.jpg (90KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
88XtWHT.jpg
90KB, 960x540px
>>8666294
>Runs from calc
>Changes to Chemistry
>>
>>8666294
>couldn't pass calculus

get the hell off /sci/ you fucking brainlet
>>
lol, youre not gonna get far in chemistry if you cant get past calc unfortunately. Thermo and QM are going to destroy you. I have a pretty strong math background and even I struggled with some of the math in QM.
>>
>>8671625
at least calc 2
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.