[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Plan on double majoring in accounting and finance. What things

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 22007702209353.jpg (410KB, 720x1080px) Image search: [Google]
22007702209353.jpg
410KB, 720x1080px
Plan on double majoring in accounting and finance. What things should I specifically be able to code? The only things i know is CS is a meme and cant be trusted and a bunch of business analysts program. algorithms. I also am aware a bunch of people from wall street majored in physics and mathematics.
>>
>>8663275
Honestly, as a finance major and software engineering minor, all I use is VB, and Visio. There are so many CS and SE majors that are much better at programming than I am, so if I understand a system that I need, I'll outsource the programming to another department.
>>
>>8663286
I see. Do you rec I do any coding in my free time on my own at all? Or just take a few coding classes with my majors? Should I minor in Software Engineering too instead of taking CS classes?
>>
>>8663297
Since I don't think programming skills will be obsolete anytime soon, I would recommend it.

I don't know how strong your uni SE program is, but SE is traditionally more applied knowledge than CS theoretical knowledge. Anyways, my school's SE program is ranked in the top 15 nationally, so I knew my extra time and money was being well utilized.
>>
>>8663323
crap. mine is ranked in top 25. Hope that would suffice.
>brainlet here
>>
>>8663348
It's more of a personal choice bud
>>
>>8663275
>What things should I specifically be able to code?

VB. Maybe some SQL to understand how databases work and how to extract, insert, update, delete data when necessary.
If you're into research and want delve deeper into financial data, maybe learn some Python, there are some useful data frameworks such as "Anaconda" that are pretty easy to use.

Other than that, send it to Vikram from IT.
>>
File: superthumb.gif (45KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
superthumb.gif
45KB, 300x250px
>>8663356
software engineering sounds cool. I did some coding classes in the past and was told software engineers are more of the people in charge of development and economics of the coding process rather than being the coding monkey. So it would make sense to take it with my business major.
>>
>>8663364
Ive built things in Python a few years ago and studied a little SQL. What specifically should I be able to do with python? Ive made a GUI interface and rock paper scissors game. But thats probably ppretty pointless.
>>
>>8663377
>>8663377

I don't know what field within finance you're trying to develop yourself but from the top of my head: financial risk modeling, statistical analysis,... on large datasets. Excel and VB tend to freeze after a certain amount of gigabytes of daya, Python is less likely to freeze up.

Here's an interesting library within Python that you can use to toy around with all sorts of data: http://pandas.pydata.org/. See the bottom of the page to get a glimpse of what this library can do.

Good luck!
>>
thanks anons!
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.