[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's true that science has been seen as a men's field

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: rosie-tech[1].jpg (671KB, 1137x757px) Image search: [Google]
rosie-tech[1].jpg
671KB, 1137x757px
It's true that science has been seen as a men's field solely because of the gender roles placed on women, and that it women would be just as represented as men if it wasn't for their gender roles.

You might think this is a non-issue, but the effect is that the masculinity of the sciences has neglected women's issues due to their under-representation on the board.

Does /sci/ agree that companies should seek more women in tech, as it would better humanity as a whole?
>>
Got any evidence to back up what you're saying?
>>
>>8661717
How are questions in science biased by gender?

P = NP says nothing about gender imo
>>
File: damn_getty.jpg (419KB, 873x1024px) Image search: [Google]
damn_getty.jpg
419KB, 873x1024px
>>8661717

You ain't from 'round these parts? Talkin' 'bout women gets you a shitstorm.
>>
>>8661717
no, literally why?
If there are competent enough women to get into that field, then they'll get there.
>>
>>8661722
Agreed, need sauce.

>>8661717
Beyond that though, I couldn't give less of a shit who my coworkers are so long as they do their damn job.

If you're talking about affirmative action fuck that shit. I lost out on a free ride to college because I didn't have a vagina.
>>
File: trends.jpg (36KB, 675x379px) Image search: [Google]
trends.jpg
36KB, 675x379px
Not OP, but I want to know how anons interpret the graph.
>>
Man and woman both started off as naked tribes of hunter gatherers roaming the Earth

from this equal starting point, Man asserted his superiority in all domains, which we can see from most of observable history

The idea of women as equal in this regard is a fantasy that lacks precedent

They may be essential, but they are not equal, and they never will be
>>
ye
>>
>>8661757

The nature of CS changed

It went from something more along the lines of being a secretary: data entry and routine writing, to something more dynamic and business/research critical

The introduction of the personal computer also created a new culture surrounding the field that women did not find appealing
>>
File: dominance.jpg (1MB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
dominance.jpg
1MB, 1600x1067px
>>8661758
>Man asserted his superiority
> Year is 1920

Get me a god damn sandwich and brewsky women! Don't worry your pretty little head about mathematics. That's a man's field!

*force feeds femanon more opiates
>>
>>8661757
Due to the portrayal in media and popular culture that women who enter STEM fields are "nerdy" or "dorks", it discourages them from even trying. When culture places so much emphasis on how women should look or act, it's difficult to enter a field that defies all social norms.
>>
>>8661764
>The introduction of the personal computer also created a new culture surrounding the field that women did not find appealing

I very much agree with this insightful statement.
>>
>>8661769

u wot m8
>>
>>8661717
Men and women are interested in and good at different things.

Why is it that in eSports (video games played competitively as sports) there are so few top female players? Could it possibly have anything to do with men having (on average) better reaction time, hand-eye coordination, spatial awareness, and perception of 3-D objects? Could it be a result of men possessing testosterone and being more aggressive and competitive?

How about traditional sports, where the level of female competition is nowhere near that of male athletes? Could it have anything to do with men having twice the upper-body strength of women, or the thousands of years of physically-demanding heritage?

Or is it just a patriarchal conspiracy by sexist men to keep women from certain activities?
>>
>>8661717
>It's a Tumblrina gets in /sci/ chapter number (n+1)
OP, you know that we are living in the 21th century and women STILL aren't doing big shit like men do, right?

There's a clear reason for this and it's not opression.

I will let you think of this one, if you can think for once.
>>
>>8661770
It's a common argument, but if you aren't competitive/driven enough to withstand the most mild discouragement, you are not cut out for STEM work. Women are not weak, fragile little creatures who can't possibly deal with slight negativity towards them. Not only is your statement about women being represented poorly in the media blatantly false, but it begs the question, "Why does this not apply to men as well?" Stereotyping CS workers (or even just computer enthusiasts) has existed for so long, yet men have continued to enter the field.

Thus, it's either that women are emotionally and intellectually weak (what your argument suggests) or that women just aren't as interested in STEM work (what reality indicates).
>>
>>8661772

Don't get made at me. Get mad at the 1920s. 2-3 generations isn't that much time compared to the history of mankind.

For most of mankind's history, "man asserted his superiority" meant physical assertion, not mental assertion.
>>
>>8661717
Just look all memes about STEMlord, almost say any smart people will goes to Law,medicine o Business.
>>
>>8661757
I'd say a really important part of people who get into computer sciences are those who've had a lot of exposure to technology when they were growing up (video games, internet etc)
Since video games and the like are mostly male activities it makes sense that most CS majors are men, and women go towards other fields
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.