[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why won't this work, /sci/? >Submerge air-filled vessel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: US20100107627A1-20100506-D00000.png (47KB, 2175x1876px) Image search: [Google]
US20100107627A1-20100506-D00000.png
47KB, 2175x1876px
Why won't this work, /sci/?
>Submerge air-filled vessel attached to tether
>allow it to ascend towards the surface of the water
>after breaching the surface, fill with water and let sink
>Use siphon to drain water inside
>let it ascend again
>tether generates power as vessel ascends
>>
Draining the water when its at the bottom will use more energy than it would generate floating to the top.
>>
>>8661149
You mean refilling it with air at the bottom will cost more energy.
>>
>>8661149
So a siphon wouldn't work?
>>
>>8661402
You could drain the water with a siphon but how do you get air back in it?
>>
>>8661413
Different anon, but have a powerfull pump replace the air.

It would be wasteful the first time, but honestly, I can imagine it would be useful for building structures that were meant tone maintained at that depth.

Imagine a bunch of these tethers strapped over a thickly walled polymer dome. You could place the dome down filled with water, then calculate the amount of tethers(which would be more expensive to put in place) then keep the dome strapped to the sea floor securely while you easily pumped air into it.

Its very over engineered, but I imagine at those depths it'd be a safety measure well worth the expense.
>>
>>8661402
Nope.
>>
>>8661629
Sure. But you can show it takes more energy to pump the air than you get from siphoning, and probably more than the ascending / descending balloon
>>
>>8661629
>powerful pump
That would use more energy than is created, making the whole device useless
>>
>>8661413
>>8661641
>>8661728
If you could figure out a way to refill the vessel with air in a way that uses less energy than the vessel generates would it then be possible?
>>
>>8661777
>If you could figure out a way to refill the vessel with air in a way that uses less energy than the vessel generates would it then be possible?

>violate the conservation of energy

Yes if you can figure out a way to break the conservation of energy, then you can just get energy from thin air at all times. You wouldnt need a device to do it.
>>
>>8661787
If the vessel is in a suspended tank it could have a drain hole and air hole that, using hoses, would empty the vessel while it naturally refills with the surrounding air. Only trouble would be getting the water back into the tank...
>>
>>8661787
What if there were two or three vessels with different starting positions that exchanged air and water as they moved up and down? Or would they all reach equilibrium
>>
File: IMG_1148.jpg (95KB, 824x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1148.jpg
95KB, 824x1024px
>spend $1000 on a flotation board, hoist, balloon, light weight cable, and a pulley
>swim down to the bottom of the lake, install pulley cable at the bottom
>thread cable through and attach to balloon
>through a series of filling the balloon with water, allowing the balloon to sink, siphoning the water and using an air pump that pumps air back into the ballon......
>able to harness enough power to spin the blades of a fan onto my sweaty face for 10 seconds
Mfw
>>
>>8661777
>but if the impossible were possible would it then be possible?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.