[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok, /sci/ this might be a stupid question I'm an amateur

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 240px-GPB_circling_earth.jpg (14KB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
240px-GPB_circling_earth.jpg
14KB, 240x180px
Ok, /sci/ this might be a stupid question
I'm an amateur at space physics, most likely even less than an amateur
so I was reading up on space time continuum and something made me wonder
so does that make empires that span through different stars(interstellar empires) improbable due to the time differences? Even if we could travel at lightspeed assuming that would be possible.
I'm sorry if there are any grammar mistakes, english is not my native language.
Also please correct me if I think wrong
>>
Yes there would be time differences, but only during travel. Unless one of the planets is orbiting a blackhole, a clock on every planet would tick at roughly the same rate as the other clocks.
>>
>>8657917
How big would the difference be during travel
lets say from the sun's earth to proxima b exoplanet?
>>
File: time dilation equation.png (6KB, 273x201px) Image search: [Google]
time dilation equation.png
6KB, 273x201px
>>8657919
How fast are they capable of travelling? And how far or how long are they travelling for? Figure that out and plug them into this formula.
>>
>>8657928
I did say speed of light in OP
>>
>>8657917
Is decay of matter the same everywhere in space? How do we measure time with an atom clock if it is not?
>>
>>8657934
What's the point of using simultaneously both correct and broken physics? We don't have equations to represent physics-defying physics. You can tell by trying to plug in c for velocity that everything stops working.
>>
>>8657934
You can't go the speed of light, you can only approach infinitely close to it.

This page might help you understand the math: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Relativ/tdil.html
>>
>>8657949
I guess if you take the limit of that equation you can deduce that you time you would experience would be instant. You would be literally time travelling into the future.
>>
>>8657952
Thank you
>>
>>8657955
No you wouldn't.

The future 5 years from now involves me doing something somewhere.

If I travel at relativistic speeds so everything around me ages 5 years, then wherever I am isn't the future because it doesn't include me being somewhere and doing all the things I would have done had I not traveled to the future.
>>
File: the smirky bloke.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
the smirky bloke.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
>>8657913

>Relativity
>>
>>8657998
Not that guy but the universe doesn't "revolve" around you.

If you travelled from now to a datum point five years in the future you would still be at a certain point within that universe whether it be future, present or past.
>>
>>8658071
I'm just saying that our usual definition of the future includes ourselves. If you travel to the future, you don't get to see your future self. Therefore, it isn't really the future as defined above, it's just another when.
>>
>>8658077
Why wouldn't you see yourself?
>>
>>8657913
So you just mean a communication problem at places greater than a light day away? If so yeah it would be a major problem as we wouldn't be able to send data at a communicative rate.
>>
>>8658185
Because you haven't aged 5 years.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.