[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain relativistic time dilation to me? My former

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1398138160608.jpg (8KB, 169x216px) Image search: [Google]
1398138160608.jpg
8KB, 169x216px
Can someone explain relativistic time dilation to me?

My former understanding was that the faster you moved the longer it took for photons of an instant to reach you, but what if you're moving towards the photon source. Wouldn't that seem to accelerate?
>>
In layman's terms, you have a set velocity through spacetime. If you start moving too fast through space you start losing speed in time.

That's a really shitty, boiled-down explanation of it, but it's the basic idea.
>>
>>8657353
just realized I said velocity in the first sentence then speed in the second, time to kill myself
>>
>>8657354
lol'd desu

Could I get an explanation of why you then start losing speed in time? Is there some kind of image simulating four dimensions available that can show this happening and make it visual?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2VMO7pcWhg
>>
>>8657359
Velocity = distance / time

If you swim across a river. According to you, you swim in a straight line. According to me watching you, you get carried by the current.

So we agree on the time it takes for you to get across but I see you travel further than what you measure, so we get different velocities.

Einstein said light moves at c for everyone. So I measure a different distance than you but since c is fixed, time has to change.

The time difference is real and has been measured. Not only that, but space also contracts when you move fast. So there's a 2nd component that causes time difference. It's literally all simple algebra.

See:
Einstein postulates
Lorenz transformation
Twin paradox
Car and barn paradox
>>
>>8657346
It is merely speculation since no one has yet tested the theory. It could easily be bullshit stupid.

(captcha sure has some pathetic excuses for clear pictures...think they must be autistic retards there)
>>
I saw a video that explained it like when you approach light speed, then because light moved at a constant speed regardless (i.e. you don't add the speed of the thing emitting the light) this means that information itself takes longer to propagate, so it's not time slowing down, but all events at the atomic level which makes stuff happen slowing down, therefore the laws of physics simply take longer to act.

But I thought wouldn't that only be the case along the axis of travel?
>>
>>8657346
http://www.space.com/25732-redshift-blueshift.html
>>
>>8657481
that's some pungy b8
>>
Its a lot like watching cars pass from the side of the road. Relative to you, the cars are roaring past at 60 mph, but relative to the driver the car isn't moving.
Now imagine the driver of the car is has his headlights on and is moving at 20% the speed of light (c) relative to the driver; at what speed are the photons from the headlight moving? c is constant, there isn't anything that can move faster than c, therefor it is impossible for someone on the side of the road to see the headlights moving at 120% of c, so relativity states that time will be dilated. From the observer on the side of the road, the time experienced by the driver will be slowed 20%, relative to the driver the time experienced by the person on the side of the road is 20% faster.
>>
>>8658044
And you're the only one who fellidified for it
>>
>>8657656
I'm not sure what this is supposed to explain to me, I get the concept of redshifts and blueshifts. And I get the mathematical ideas behind relativity and why it is and /must/ be true, but I'm looking for an answers more in line with >>8657626
Something literal and easily explainable, unless that's impossible
>>
>>8657346
Your 4-velocity have a fixed length, c. At rest the x,y,z coordinates are 0, and the time coordinate is c. Now if you increase velocity in the x,y or z direction, the time component has to shrink to compensate, because the length of the 4-velocity must be c.
>>
>>8657346

what's the source on that image, anon?
>>
>>8658345

never mind I found it, it's from princess trainer
>>
>>8658345
akabur princess trainer
>>
>>8658263
There is no physical mechanism.

Einstein postulates are:
1. Physics are the same for all non inertial reference frames.
2. Light moves at c for all non inertial reference frames.

You're looking for an explanation of these.

If physics were different in different frames, contradictions could arise

Light moves the same for everyone because there's no medium it needs to propagate. In other words, there's no preferred frame. Compare this to something like a river where there is a preferred frame.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.