[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey-o. Do we know if specific amino acids code specific proteins?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: BbSmciUIMAAepzJ.jpg (19KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
BbSmciUIMAAepzJ.jpg
19KB, 600x450px
Hey-o. Do we know if specific amino acids code specific proteins? Im wondering how you could use codons to build an organism.
>>
>>8655563
yes we do. a simple wiki search would have told you that
>>
>>8655566
so like do all are all eye proteins similarly coded?
>>
>>8655661
What do you mean with eye proteins?
There are a LOT of different proteins, a LOT of them exist in the eyes. Do you mean proteins specifically existing in the eyes?
>>
>>8655713
Idk I have never come across a good database for all or some discovered genes and proteins. If there was a source that showed nucleotide bases, amino acids, and then proteins thatd be awesome
>>
>>8655722
It's called ensembl you tiny fart. And now gb2redit
>>
>>8655755
some say his pp grew 3 sizes that day
>>
>>8655563

most amino acid sequences are predetermined to fold into a certain protein as soon as they leave the ribosome and enter the cytoplasm, thanks to a complex set of intermolecular forces

the "cramped" nature of the cytoplasm will exert pressure on the amino acid sequence, forcing it to fold into a #D shape, and the shape that this amino acid will take is determined by its unique chemical properties

read "the machinery of life" by David Goodsell if you want some pop science but good quality writing on just how fucking cool cells are

>>8655661

no because there are thousands of different kinds of cells in the eye, and each cell needs to accomplish different functions. proteins are the cell's most common workhorses

what, a retinal ganglion cell is going to be similar to a muscle cell? they're all gonna share the same proteins? are you crazy? maybe they'll share basic proteins for common processes like respiration, but no muscle cell is going to express light receptors without frankenstein engineering
>>
>>8656222
>not knowing what a post-translational modification is
Pleb
>>
>>8655563
Condoms are used to prevent building organisms.
>>
>>8656611
>post-translational modification

If I wanted to mention every single form of gene expression, I'd be writing a dissertation. But generally specific amino acids will result in specific proteins automatically because physical/chemical/stochastic forces from the crowded cytoplasm will push them into those confirmations. Whether there's additional modifications after translation is a moot point.
>>
>>8655563
some guys have talked about the overall biochemistry of this, but the developmental cell signaling systems are important too. you gotta be able to have special cells capable of doing tons of different stuff and then pick which one of them does what down the line. shit's pretty complex.
>>
>>8656664
>pretty complex?
Stuff is INFINITELY complex.

But it blew my mind reading about dna/rna/replication, lucy. For a week or so I felt a deep connection with everyone...and then I came down and again saw the masses as ignorant and clueless (no light on inside, no crayons and no box); almost as animals but for law (EspĂ­rito Santo, Brazil).
>>
File: 1485840855078.png (602KB, 400x490px) Image search: [Google]
1485840855078.png
602KB, 400x490px
Gene regulation makes this a lot more complicated. The human genome is like 10000 times larger than the E. Coli genome (or something like that) but only has 5 times the number of genes. Genes are regulated in different ways for novel uses.

Also post-translational modification and post-transcriptional modifications and more stuff.

I always did wonder what would happen if you isolated some DNA then mixed it with amino acids and uracil and ribosomes, RNA polymerase and activation proteins and other proteins.

Sorry I feel like this post is autistic.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.