[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is the job market looking for theoretical physicists? I am

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1486020892188.png (77KB, 372x300px) Image search: [Google]
1486020892188.png
77KB, 372x300px
How is the job market looking for theoretical physicists? I am interested in studying relativity and quantum mechanics but do I need to be Einstein-level to actually get anywhere in life?
>>
>>8655470
Oh, the job market is looking fucking great.
Here, this is a search engine for jobs. For you I picked the key words "physics-theoretical", checked all levels of education from "current undergrad" to "PhD", checked "any location", pick the sectors "academia" and "industry" and VOILA

Just pick which job would you like the most:

http://jobs.physicstoday.org/jobs/?keywords=physics-theoretical&level=entry-level&sector=academic&sector=industry&education=4-year-degree&education=current-undergraduate&education=doctorate&education=masters&name=&email=&explain=&jobid=&jobtitle=&jobURL=&jobEmpName=&jobEmpID=&jobDetailURL=
>>
>>8655470
Depends what you mean by "looking for a theoretical physicist". If you want a job with a job title of "theoretical physicist" then no, there is no job market. However you'll almost certainly be employable in some other position with some other title.
>>
>>8655500
Thanks anon, I'll check it out.
>>8655508
I just wish to study things such as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_time as a job.
>>
>>8655470
>I am interested in studying relativity and quantum mechanics but do I need to be Einstein-level to actually get anywhere in life?
I don't know much about how that works, but I guess if you like relativity you are employable anywhere that deals with GPS.
>>
>>8655529
So you want to be an academic?
>>
>>8655533
As in studying things to increase mankind's knowledge, yes.
>>
>>8655536
that's an entire job field in itself, it's called academia, it would depend on what institution you're at/went to as to whether or not you could find a job but you will if you're smart enough
>>
Just to let you know, you don't necessarily need to hold a faculty/tenured position to do this. Often an already tenured faculty member will hire "research associates"/"research scientists"/some other title, where you will have no teaching responsibilities and conduct research under their supervision. It doesn't pay nearly as well, has almost none of the glory, but since you end up doing most of the work, you will probably end up learning a lot.
>>
>>8655552
>>8655567
Thanks anons
>>
>>8655470
Hey OP, Finance Major here.
My company specializes in industrial and advisory tasks that require a lot of analytical skills. Since we have a lot of locations around the country, we need all the help we can get.
In fact, one of our branches is still looking for a skilled toilet cleaner. If you have interest and the necessary job experience I'm sure we can work something out.
>>
>>8655608
?
I haven't studied Theoretical Physics yet, so I can't qualify for your job.
>>
File: e37.png (24KB, 425x404px) Image search: [Google]
e37.png
24KB, 425x404px
>>8655612
>>
>>8655608
>Finance Major
>My company

lol.
>>
>>8655623
>physics major
>job market
>>
>>8655625
>t. undergrad
>>
>>8655622
I think HIS joke went over your head, you stupid twat
>>
It's not looking good at all. If I were you I would explore alternate possibilities. I'm not saying you should give up on your dream, but you should cultivate the skills necessary to have a solid backup plan.
>>
>>8655470
No you're not. You're probably a high schooler.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.