[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I teach at a university. Broadly speaking there are three sorts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 20

File: diploma.jpg (744KB, 2197x1463px) Image search: [Google]
diploma.jpg
744KB, 2197x1463px
I teach at a university.

Broadly speaking there are three sorts of people who tend to come to my office for help in their assignments. The majority don't do it at all and at most ask one or two questions over e-mail so I'm not counting those.

The first type is the diligent student who just wants some tips, often in doing something more advanced than what the assignment asked for. Sometimes it's clear they just want a pat on the back or want to show off, but that's okay. Very rarely they have some exotic problem (often caused by their unorthodox approach) that they need proper help with.

The second type is the lazy but smart person who started working on their assignment very late (and probably missed some classes too). Their problems are usually a combination of being far behind schedule and having some serious holes in their knowledge of the material (probably covered in the classes they missed). They're usually intelligent enough for an explanation and some pointers to put them right on track to a passing grade.

Type three is the genuine thicko who usually works VERY hard but is just too thick to get it. Instruction rolls off them like water off a duck's back. They're usually very respectful as they continue bugging you about even the most obvious things. They rarely ever "get" anything; they can be instructed to reach a goal but will then be stumped anew the next time they encounter the very same problem.

Even though their reasons are the most innocent and admirable, I fucking hate type three. They're so annoying to deal with. I don't mind the other two types at all.

Am I a bad person? How do I learn to deal with type three properly?
>>
What do you teach?
>>
File: 1431952895333.jpg (17KB, 385x387px) Image search: [Google]
1431952895333.jpg
17KB, 385x387px
>tfw you're not sure if you're type 2 or 3
FeelsBadMan
>>
>>8651304
There is only 1 type:
Type retardo: Wastes his time going to office hours instead of downloading another book to keep advancing at an accelerated pace.
>>
>>8651318
t. expert in the quotient rule
>>
>>8651304
You aren't a bad person, but you are a bad teacher.

>>8651318
>I got 74% in analysis 1. And all I need was a couple of textbooks, the internet and my peers.
>>
>>8651322
I took calc I like 3 years ago so you better believe I am the master at the quotient rule.
>>
>>8651327
I passed analysis with an A. All I needed was the internet.

I don't have friends in my major so there are no peers I could cheat off of. Friends are for brainlets.
>>
>>8651329
Couple weeks into calculus 1 now, doing well, already past the chain rule and beyond. Quotient rule was a joke. Product rule remains my specialty.

I ask my professor his thoughts on quantum mechanics and partial derivatives. He's impressed i know about the subject. We converse after class for some time, sharing mathematical insights; i can keep up. He tells me of great things ahead like series and laplacians. I tell him i already read about series on wikipedia. He is yet again impressed at my enthusiasm. What a joy it is to have your professor visibly brighten when he learns of your talents.

And now I sit here wondering what it must be like to be a brainlet, unable to engage your professor as an intellectual peer.
All of the deep conversations you people must miss out on because you aren't able to overcome the intellectual IQ barrier that stands in the way of your academic success... it's so sad.

My professor and I know each other on first name basis now, but i call him Dr. out of respect.

And yet here you brainlets sit, probably havent even made eye contact with yours out of fear that they will gauge your brainlet IQ levels.
A true shame, but just know it is because i was born special that i am special. I can't help being a genius, nor can my professor.

Two of a kind is two flocks in a bush.
>>
>>8651304
>Am I a bad person? How do I learn to deal with type three properly?
Don't. You're a TA, not a pedagogue, you're expected to be a supplement to the lecture and the book, not a guide for their life. You're NOT expected to drag every retard along, some people deserve to fail and some people deserve to be hated for being stupid. They'll drop out, or if they get a degree they will just cause damage to whoever hires them. Spend as little time as possible on them, your time is to valueable to learn "how to deal with people who shouldn't be here in the first place". You're at a university, not a school, they need to learn that they are stupid and you must learn to not give away your time for free. Be polite and so on, but a straight "you will never make it, look for a degree that matches your ability" will be of bigger help to them then whatever you can do to make them pass your class.
>>
>>8651307
Mostly exploratory data analysis, stats, and a bit of programming mostly in molecular biology related areas (metabolomics, interactomics, that sort of thing).

>>8651318
Many things we cover (with one exception I teach only postgraduates) haven't filtered down to textbooks yet. Though the literature (review articles etc.) is out there so they could read that. It's still sensible for them to ask me to point out some of those for them instead of looking blindly on their own.

>>8651327
>You aren't a bad person, but you are a bad teacher.
Yeah I sort of feel like that.

I do remain civil and helpful with type three, but it's very tiring and frustrating. I was looking for tips on how to adjust my mindset for that to be less of a problem.
>>
>>8651334
>quantum mechanics

True math majors like me know physics is a trivial application of mathematics, meant to be left as an exercise for the reader.
>>
Explain it a different way every time, making it clear that the conclusion is the same. If it's an abstraction, use an example. If it's a proof of a new concept, assume it's true and work backwards.
One error in either the instructions or the student's method can result in them forming an infinite variety of ad hoc misunderstandings (falsehood implying everything), and they'll need to unlearn those misunderstandings in order to use that approach effectively.
There's no way to predict exactly where they're getting hung up, so it's best to try a new approach entirely to get to the desired conclusion. Ideally, being able to work backward will assist them in later undoing their misunderstanding about the other approach.
That obviously isn't always possible, but hopefully there's some value for the professor in reaquainting themselves with alternative approaches to the material.
>>
>>8651339
>Yeah I sort of feel like that.
I don't think it's anything to feel ashamed of, you can't be expected to like everyone. But yeah it does make you a lesser teacher, at least imo.

>>8651331
Pretty much what I expected you to say.
>>
>>8651339
>with one exception I teach only postgraduate
>Though the literature (review articles etc.) is out there so they could read that. It's still sensible for them to ask me to point out some of those for them instead of looking blindly on their own.
Literature research is something that can be expected of postgrads, you're just pampering your students.
>>
>>8651339

Just throw one hundred repetitive relatively simple exercises at type 3 until they get an intuition of the concept.
>>
>>8651380
This guy has it. I was an instructor in the military. Taught some very watered down EE concepts and generator maintenance .

had kids with bare minimum ASVAB scores coming through my schoolhouse, and you basically just got to grind that shit into them.

the hands teach the mind with type 3.
>>
The simple truth is that type 3 does not belong in postgraduate education.
>>
>>8651334
This made me lel.
>>
>>8651304
>Even though their reasons are the most innocent and admirable, I fucking hate type three. They're so annoying to deal with. I don't mind the other two types at all.

In other words, "Wah, I don't want to actually help anyone and just want to get my paycheck". You want to know why you prefer the other two types? Because they honestly don't need you and you don't have to put any real effort with them.
>>
>>8651432
brainlet detected
>>
>>8651444
trips confirmed brainlet
>>
>>8651304
University should be limited to men with an IQ above 110.

Every single woman I know starts with a real major and drops out and takes management or some stupid shit 2 years in.
>>
>>8651304
I'm the emailer who sends you an urgent question with a tone of panic, then five minutes later sends a follow up saying "disregard my last, I found the answer written plainly in the handout you gave us two weeks ago and I only just read". Usually multiple times per term.

How much do you hate me, Dr. Anon?
>>
>>8651507
>only five minutes later
You need to step up your game, he probably didn't have the time to hate you yet as you caused no work
>>
>>8651404
Would you suggest using the military as a path to getting a degree? I scored reasonably well on my ASVAB but decided to attend university. I ran out of funds quickly and am now working a full time job on 2nd shift while trying to take a few classes. What are job prospects like following service? How fit should i be before enlisting?
>>
I always feel bad for type 3 people, mostly because I know how it feels, I am fairly good at chemistry but when I tried to study programming it was like everything made sense but stopped being right as soon as it went in my brain.
>>
>>8651343

t. someone who has never touched a quantum problem
>>
>>8651592
literally tiny problems
>>
>>8651596
t. someone who has never touched a quantum problem
>>
>>8651339
Keep in mind that some of the type 3 people aren't necessarily unintelligent, they just seem that way because they learn differently.
Maybe you're teaching using some kind of visual aids that for most people are totally intuitive, but for some people could be very hard to translate into something they understand.
>>
>>8651481
110 for social sciences probably. 130 for STEM, excluding biology ofcourse.

Although the standard deviation of IQ is smaller for women, resulting in less gifted ones, women can be seriously smart too. More importantly, they tend to be less autistic.
>>
>>8651608
t. someone who has never touched a girl
>>
>>8651623
>women can be seriously smart too
Yeah. Too bad those women end up crying about sexism all day instead of doing actual intellectual work.
>>
>>8651625
t. someone who never touched a girl without worrying she'd tell her parents.
>>
>>8651629
Fuck.
>>
>>8651629
Fucking lol.
>[math] ANON WINS [/math]
>[math] FATALITY [/math]
>>
>>8651629
someone who never touched a girl without worrying he'd tell his parents.
>>
>>8651334
>product rule
>quantum mechanics
>partial derivatives
>series
>laplacians
>thinking he's smart for knowing this brainlet math
Fucking kek. You don't anything about real math until you learn triple integrals. I mean, if you're intelligent enough to learn it. Your professor probably never mentioned the topic because he noticed you are a brainlet.
>>
>>8651444
>>8651457

Whatever you say, OP.
>>
>>8651658

t. someone who never touched a girl without checking his privilege
>>
>>8651662
> that's the joke. It's okay, we know your autism makes it hard to pick up on social cues
>>
>>8651349

There should be a branch of psychology that deals with identifying "cognitive maps" that lead to misunderstandings in such-and-such fields and developing presentations that minimize these risks. Then maybe we can have 21st century pedagogy that's interesting and illuminating, and maybe we wouldn't have so many brainlets walking around.
>>
>>8651304
Not that I'm saying you're not a bad person--to some degree--but so far you seem reasonable.

Some people cannot learn. They do not have feelings to understand good from bad, yes from no. Not only do I gravitate towards positive people, but I avoid (not ignore) the ignorant people. The are negative so there's no positive outcome from such encounters. You chose and this is one of the negatives in your profession. All professions have negatives. All you can do is be glad when they go away, finally, as all must one day do.
>>
>>8651679
>not recognizing the joke within the joke
>>
>>8651749
>not recognizing the joke within the joke within the joke
>>
>>8651752
These high order jokes are getting out of hand.
>>
>>8651304
>lazy but smart
lmao
>>
Dont beat yourself up. Its just human nature. You can fight it but you wont win.
>>
>>8651357
He's a bad teacher because he has little patience for extreme brainlets? BTFO
>>
>>8651411
This
>>
>>8651318
>not going to office hours with well thought out questions that go beyond the scope of class
>not making sure the professor remembers who you are and what your capabilites are
>not having a large variety of professors to call on for letters of reference
>>
>>8651304
You have to remember that some people are not meant to be academics. Your brain has to be rigged in a certain way to fully understand STEM field programs. From my experience, all the type 3 persons I've met were not interested by the courses and the jobs afterwards. They were more focused on partying, having fun, sports. I'm not saying that these are bad, but not having any interest or curiosity for the subject of a course can surely create type 3 easily
>>
File: 1465396512273.png (129KB, 724x611px) Image search: [Google]
1465396512273.png
129KB, 724x611px
>>8651842
>going to graduate school and become a poor depressed faggot for the rest of your life

>"a-at least I a ton of pointless knowledge in an extremely specific subtopic of a subfield of my field!"
>>
>>8651927
>in PhD program
>CS
>Will transcend the bullshit codemonkey life as a corporate researcher

get btfo brainlet
>>
>>8651304
Kek those types ate dead on
>>
>>8652002
>will earn one third of what the codemonkey does
>>
>>8652257
Only true due to opportunity cost.

In actuality I will be doing a job I like and making more money as well. Think, Google or Yahoo research labs.

And before you say this isn't going to happen, my advisor has super high placements for phd graduates in research labs or academia
>>
>>8651803
It is a thing. If you aren't smart enough to coast by while being a lazy ass you either put your shit together and drop the laziness or drop out. By survivor bias alone once you get past some level most lazy people are smart because the lazy dumb ones were culled.

Mind you the bar for "smart" in this definition isn't that high though it depends and institutions, fields, etc.
>>
>>8651481
lol fuck off.
>tfw I do a harder degree than you at a better university + I have a vagina
>>
File: ICantSeemToUnderstand.jpg (32KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
ICantSeemToUnderstand.jpg
32KB, 450x450px
>>8651343
>tfw calculus was literally invented to solve physics problems
>tfw physics needs have dictated the development of math for the last 300 years
>>
>>8652319
>yfw physics and calculus is for brainlets
>>
>>8651304

This is sad to read. You sound like an awful teacher.
>>
>>8651334

Oh, you're one of those
>>
>>8652319
yeah dawg

the entirety of math came from looking at the universe so it's only natural math comes from physics
>>
File: 1465372011851.jpg (6KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
1465372011851.jpg
6KB, 259x194px
>>8652290
Why do women always let their emotions get the better of them?

It's difficult to think rationally when you always succumb to your rapidly changing emotions.
>>
>>8652460
The true redpill is when you realize that math and physics are one and the same.
>>
>>8651527
Former military here; if your ASVAB score is exceptional (90+) along with AFQT, I would recommend either cryptolinguistics or Nuke Tech with the Navy or Air Force. When I signed up, I was a nutted up 17 year old with a death wish, and in spite of my outstanding AFQT/ASVAB, I became an infantry Marine. I met a few other men with minds like mine during my time in, but the majority were all balls, no brains. Don't be like me. Learn valuable skills, gain discipline, and understand fully what you're signing up for. Good luck with your decision, Anon.
>>
>>8652489
>>8651527
>>8651404

>military

GET OUT CHADS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>8652481
Why do men always complain about women being distracting because they're unable to control their hormones around them?
>>
>>8651318
some things can't be gotten from books, at least not properly, and require hands-on guidance.
ask any micropaleontologist.
>>
>>8652507
Because it's a bullshit excuse that people come up with because they're afraid to say "don't dress like a slut because it looks bad for the school" or "most women just aren't as physically or emotionally prepared for war and the presence of a few fucks with male instincts".
>>
>>8651304
Good instructors don't leave questions. That's why admins made the survey.
>>
>>8651304
There's also type 4
>the one that goes to his professors office hours every week to suck his dick and get recommendations

That's me. I literally don't need to go to the office hours and have no questions most of the time.
>>
>>8652685
sounds like type 1 to me
>>
there's also the ubermensch type 5 who just goes to his prof's office to talk to them and know them personally since he hates the rest of his class.
>>
I'm type three and wish someone would have told me I should go do something else.

Now I'm in my third year of a PhD program and it's too late to quit.
>>
what type am I? I only see professors if they assign group assignments and there is some problem relating to a group member not pulling their weight or if I'm unable to meet with my group so I go to the professor to discuss the topic with them.
>>
I'm pretty sure I'm not type 2, feeling like type 3 lately.

Taking an analysis class (actually two) and for some reason everything being talked about does not chain together for me. I mean sure I understand the words but that's it. It may just be that it's early in the semester but I don't recall having this much trouble even BEGINNING to understand how things work in the course. It all looks like when they're solving something it's just random jumps from one thing to another and I just can't make those connections, whether I read and re-read examples and definitions and all.

Tried going to office hours too but all that did was make me angry. Don't usually go to office hours so I was looking forward to finally being helped into understanding the concepts. Professor stopped me at the door and had me explain my problem but when I finished explaining myself he would stare at me trying to understand so I'd just keep trying to explain more the fact that I'm an idiot and don't know what I'm doing without saying it like that.
There was also someone else in his office at the time, which I would have been fine for him to finish what they were doing, but he called me in as soon as he saw me and I felt like I was interrupting.
He did try to answer *a* question, but it definitely was not the question I asked and I just sort of lied about how I understood and left angry.

Now I don't want to go back again because I feel like maybe he expects that his students should either
a) have some previous knowledge (that I must not have) that allows them to understand what's going on or
b) be able to understand what's going on in the course as it all seems to make sense to everyone else

If I go again I know I'll just end up nearly stuttering out my 'question', which doesn't make sense because I don't have a specific question I just sort of want to know if I'm too stupid to be taking the course or if there is salvation.
>>
>>8651304
I tutor a lot of high school students, so I may be able to relate. Type 3 students I find (and I assume there is some continuity into university) are usually students who have a lack of good grounding and familiarity with the topics at hand, they have sort of holes in their understanding of a topic, that makes it difficult for them to make logical moves when trying to solve a problem, or trying to understand a new topic.

As such, I don't think it is your fault, nor necessarily theirs, they just had the misfortune of having a shitty education
>>
>>8651304
>i dont like my job or parts of it
no you're not a bad person

do your job ass hole, and dont think too much about it
>>
>>8651334
This is pasta you fools.
>>
>>8653194
Type three is most commonly people who were pushed hard to succeed by their parents/social pressure even though they were not very smart, so they had to make up for their lack of intelligence with more work.

Asians are overrepresented in type three even though they're very intelligent on average, simply because even the less intelligent ones were pushed to succeed.
>>
>>8653212
Im hungry :'(
>>
>>8651768
there was no joke within a joke within a joke, he was backpedalling and I cant believe you didnt notice
>>
>>8651304
I would give you piece of my mind as a student that went through hell in ex-communist hell hole but I have a bad headache.
Idiots like you allowing bullshit is what makes the standards as they are today.
>>
>>8653007
stop being such a beta
you know that you dont understand what you are doing
so man up and accept that you dont know what you are doing and go get help

the alternative is death
>>
I'm too insecure about my intelligence to ask for help so I'll just google or get a book.
>>
>>8653270
>he
That's sexist.
>>
>>8653314
>That's sexist
>implying two sexes

That is transphobic.
>>
File: brainletsBTFO.png (366KB, 890x343px) Image search: [Google]
brainletsBTFO.png
366KB, 890x343px
>>8651331
>I passed analysis with an A. All I needed was the internet.
Cool story man
>>
>>8653335
>transphobic
>implying 4 sexes
That's interdimensional being hate speech.
>>
>>8653349
I am so sorry
>>
>>8651310

I know I'm not type 3 because I don't work hard at all
>>
>>8651304

type 3 people often are lazy asses as well

They are also complete normies because they seek to ask someone for help instead of using the internet. The truth is this type of thing goes way smoother when you do it on your own. Who the fuck are they to ask for your help?
>>
>>8651304
I personally hate type 2 the most. I don't mind type 3 or type 1 because they both genuinely put effort, which is all I want.
>>
>>8653547
>normies because they seek to ask someone for help instead of using the internet.
So much this.
I love whey they dont ask if you have time for it they just go "do this for me ok" and get mad as all hell if one says no.
>>
>>8653270
I know he was backpedalling, but these jokes within jokes give room for claiming everything is deeper layer of the matryoshka of jokes.
>>
>>8652709
If you got that far then you aren't type 3, you just got cold feet and you are trying to justify going the easy way out.
>>
>>8651304
>I teach at a university.
Okay. Do you want to talk about science and/or math?

Really fucking sucks that this kind of thread gets 100+ replies.
>>
>>8653753
Shut the fuck up loser
>>
File: DFTCARAT.jpg (13KB, 274x184px) Image search: [Google]
DFTCARAT.jpg
13KB, 274x184px
>>8651527
>Would you suggest using the military as a path to getting a degree?

i was pretty much in your exact same situation when i joined the military. its worth it, but you have to be smart about it to really maximize the benefit. apply for scholarships even though you are getting the GI bill. milk the Pell Grant. knock out as many classes you can while you are still in the military, come out of pocket if you have to. the GI bill will carry you through a masters (maybe a PhD?) if you can do that.

>What are job prospects like following service?

depends. believe it or not, some employers see vets as "damaged goods". thats why they are protected under affirmative action and other equal opportunity laws. the veterans advocate at my school literally told me to make my resume read like i was never in the military at all, and when asked i should say " i worked for the government" . at best employers are going to treat your military time like a 4 year super internship and not as any kind of real experience. you are still "Entry Level" no matter what you did during your tour.

federal/DoD related jobs are a snap, but if you are going to be an engineer or other STEM professional expect to be underpaid and overworked, at least for the first few years.

>How fit should i be before enlisting?

assuming you are about that POG life, if you can do 60 situps, 60 pushups, and run 2 miles in less than 20 minutes you are good to go.

last bit of advice. pick a MOS/Rate you will enjoy and try to have fun.
>>
>>8651304
hey can be instructed to reach a goal but will then be stumped anew the next time they encounter the very same problem.
Are you sure it is the same problem? And not just the same problem stated a different way? It is the latter then take an afternoon with type 3 students and help them to see how the problems are the same. If the former, it could be that they are forgetting the material as you cover it. Maybe provide them with an easy neumonic (sp.?) for recalling which problem they are in with a ref guide to help them find the answers formula somewhere in the text book or online. Chances are your field is needlessly boring and limiting for monkey brained idiots like yourself.
>>
>>8655664
mneumonics are for inferior degrees that cant just derive everything
>>
File: taxidermy_cheetah_5.jpg (135KB, 600x829px) Image search: [Google]
taxidermy_cheetah_5.jpg
135KB, 600x829px
>>8655664
>neumonic
>>
>>8653734
Then you should have realised I was joking too
>>
File: 2008-10-23-Detour.jpg (318KB, 525x1216px) Image search: [Google]
2008-10-23-Detour.jpg
318KB, 525x1216px
>>8652709
How did you manage to do that as a type 3???
>>
>>8652508
I bet you get pounds of pussy with that degree
>>
File: genius.jpg (11KB, 268x326px) Image search: [Google]
genius.jpg
11KB, 268x326px
>>8651334
Delish
>>
>>8651304
>tfw your type two and all you want is an intellectual ego wank and runs when the becomes difficult
>>
>>8651304
>and some pointers to put them right on track to a passing grade

I'VE BEEN ASKING FOR THIS FROM MY TEACHERS FOR FUCKING 5 YEARS AND STILL LOST IN STRANGLE
NOW READING THIS DEFINITOIN WHICH FITS MY SITUATION A LOT I UNDERSTOOD THAT IT'S NOT MY FAULT
FUCK THIS WORLD
>>
>>8656018

Cool your jets man. Caps lock is not necessary.

Okay, say you have a bad teacher. What are you going to do about it?

That's the thing about life, man. Everyone gets a hand of cards. You just have to play the game, even when you have a shit hand.

Otherwise, you will end up curled up in a ball of anger and depression.

And, honestly, think about it. If you are in college, your hand is not that bad. Did you know that it is estimated that 60% of people in this world have at least 1 parasite? At least you don't have worms crawling out of your a-hole.
>>
Type 2 reporting in.
(except I don't ask, I figure things out myself, which puts my anxiety (but also ego) through the roof)
>>
>>8656032

Thanks, that was an interesting angle of view
>>
type 2 master race
>>
> Needing "instruction" and "tips" to learn things.

Just read pubs losers.
>>
File: solution manual.png (17KB, 505x653px) Image search: [Google]
solution manual.png
17KB, 505x653px
>>8656089
pretty sure type 1 is the master race

> tfw the most useful thing about a textbook is when they say a problem is too hard for the course
>>
>>8651304
All this fucking greentext gets a little old, don'tcha think?
>>
>>8656107

What book is that, anon?
>>
>>8652489
"Nuke Tech"

maybe for the airforce.

The best piece of advice is to choose a job with a clearance (the higher the better). Cryptolinguists get a TS/SCI, which is (for the most part) the highest clearance an enlisted will get. There's other jobs that give you said clearance.

But. But. But.

Never. Ever. Ever. Ever

Go to the sub force. It's like working 3x harder and being treated and paid like shit in comparison to other groups.

Never go into submarines. You're in a metal tube with 100+ faggots who complain and moan and yet still reenlist because they have bad life strategy.

Do your 4 years and get cozy with a contractor with your fucking "give me a job" clearance.
>>
>>8651318

Asking the teacher is way too overrated.
>>
>>8652489
>in spite of my outstanding AFQT/ASVAB, I became an infantry Marine.

You should've told the recruiter to fuck off until a billet with a clearance is available. Nothing against infrantry but you can set yourself up more with an actual clearance.
>>
Type 4: They guy who spends some more time trying to understand it and googles the fucking problem and/or asks someone online.

t. me
>>
>>8651304
>Type three is the genuine thicko who usually works VERY hard but is just too thick to get it. Instruction rolls off them like water off a duck's back. They're usually very respectful as they continue bugging you about even the most obvious things. They rarely ever "get" anything; they can be instructed to reach a goal but will then be stumped anew the next time they encounter the very same problem.
>Even though their reasons are the most innocent and admirable, I fucking hate type three. They're so annoying to deal with. I don't mind the other two types at all.

>tfw I am type 3

you remind me of a professor I once had who used to get visibly annoyed every time I asked for help.
>>
Type 3 is my nightmare, I constantly think I am type 3 because I ALWAYS overestimate people.
>>
>>8651304
>Type three is the genuine thicko who usually works VERY hard but is just too thick to get it
>They're usually very respectful as they continue bugging you about even the most obvious things.
>Even though their reasons are the most innocent and admirable, I fucking hate type three.

You're a fucking patronizing piece of shit, you know that? Atleast have the fucking balls to tell them to quit the course or outright tell them they'll still fail despite their hard work instead of pretending to help them and wasting both their time and yours.

Kill yourself, fucking asswipe.
>>
>>8657702
>You're a fucking patronizing piece of shit
I was about to say this.
What an arrogant montherfucker.
>>
File: 12.1.jpg (32KB, 453x500px) Image search: [Google]
12.1.jpg
32KB, 453x500px
>>8651304
tfw you're type 2

>don't even go to lectures
>make my own notes
>pass everything I show up for

feels amazing desu
>>
File: 1356041646949.gif (960KB, 400x167px) Image search: [Google]
1356041646949.gif
960KB, 400x167px
>>8656107
Hehehe
>>
>>8657702
>>8657714
>actually expecting people to tell them that they're brainlets

brainlets.

when will they ever learn?
>>
>>8651304
TA here, in my third year of my MSc in Immunology. I typically TA undergrad Biochemistry labs (intro/advanced). Before that (during my undergrad) I was a tutor for highschool students and I taught swimming to children aged 3-14 for six years.

I have to deal with a lot of type 3 students on the spot, typically ones that can't understand their lab manuals despite it's simplicity.

I also run a low maintenance Orgochem tutoring group for undergrads and get similar behavior.

Most of the time I swallow my pride and try to explain to the best of my ability. I'm employed by the university to provide an academic service. It's my job to not be a fuckhead and do my part as an employee, simple as that. Once I do that, my hands are clean, I've done my part. What happens after is the fault of the student. Though, I usually opt for third-party resources. I recommend sites, videos, books, etc.

In my opinion, you have to show the students some tough-love and be straight up with them.
Tell them they need to cut-the-shit and pull up their pants because, most of the time, they just use you as a crutch for their spoiled asses. Maybe their repeating "misunderstandings" is a symptom of maturity and they should drop the course.
>>
>>8656149
Spivak
>>
>>8651304
as a type 2 I am glad that you don't think me missing class is disrespectful and I thank you for having the patience to give me pointers to put me back on track.
I realize I am an idiot. I keep hoping I will shape up in time.
>>
>>8651304
>Am I a bad person?
No you're not.

I feel the same way. Like type 3 is just an utter waste of my time and even if they graduate and on the off chance they get a job I feel like they will be a weak cog in the machine and never make real contributions to society never mind being a potential liability to profit and human life. Luckily they're more likely to end up in finance/IT/labtech etc.

Simply put they don't belong in the programme and any time they take away from types 1/2 or time I could spend on my research is just pissing away resources.

Type 1 is the best to deal with I usually end up making friends with many of them. Type 2 pisses me off a bit, but it's my job to help them and at least they might eventually catch up.

>How do I learn to deal with type three properly?
Become visibly impatient and irked at their lack of progress and they'll get the hint. Some faculty here get outright angry at 2/3 when they ask particularly retarded questions and chase them out of their office. I don't go that far though.
>>
>>8651318
Senior level doesn't have textbooks or it could be a project requiring creative problem solving.
>>
>>8651304
Isn't it better to ask why you have to deal with them at all?
>>
>>8657702
>>8657714
He's an educator, not their mom. So long as he marks them fairly (i.e. fails them if they merit it) there is no issue.

They're all adults, it's their choice if they want to stay in a field despite needing to put in more effort than more talented colleagues.
>>
>>8652481

The chances that's actually a girl, or that they attend some prestigious school are pretty low, but you're the one having a hissy fit because a blue rectangle said fuck off to your vision of how 'things ought to be'. Sounds less than emotionally stable to me.
>>
File: smug1.jpg (8KB, 250x201px) Image search: [Google]
smug1.jpg
8KB, 250x201px
>>8651304
>number 2
>dont waste prof's time and instead just learn the material I should've learnt.

Asking for help hurts my ego.
>>
>>8651596
kek I see what you did there
>>
>>8658487
>Asking for help hurts my ego.

i know this feel desu
>>
>>8651318
>>8651411
I came to this thread expecting to make a post along this line of thinking

I'm not gonna mock them or say they're dumb or anything but at a certain point in education path, some people will hit a wall where any and every crack or weaknesses in their foundation will rear its ugly head and they have to play catch up to compensate for it.

In almost every case I've seen that, I always tell them that they have to go in overdrive and research beyond what they need to, and in every case where they did, they end up doing well, which is why I believe it has something to do with their early education that leads them to have these gaps of understanding, rather than being slow or dull.

The slow and dull folks just fail, not even relevant to this talk.
>>
>tfw type 2.
>Decided academia wasn't for me because of laziness and crippling anxiety.

>Sold out and got a shitty job at a startup.

>Type 1 classmates are studying phds at the top institutions and destined for greatness.

>Type 3 classmates are in better jobs than me because they work much harder than me and have better social skills.
>A couple are even on phds somehow. Mainly in very experimental disciplines where they can just retire to the lab or telescope and do their monkeywork stamp collecting without being exposed as brainlets.

I'm studying to get back in the ring so I guess I got that going for me. But >tfw will never be studying for my phd at 22 at Cambridge ready to enter post-doc fray as an up and coming star in my mid 20s.
>>
>>8658685
The main problem of types two is in early upbringing, lack of good habits and self-discipline.

Much harder to fix than mere gaps in knowledge, and type two has those too.
>>
File: 1465507102033.png (304KB, 654x672px) Image search: [Google]
1465507102033.png
304KB, 654x672px
>>8651304
>lazy but smart
stopped here

also, you are a beta
>>
>>8659650
this

>>8658685
it is fixable if you take on a type 3 approach in discipline
>>
>>8659657
See >>8652279
>>
>>8651334
t. j cole fan
>>
>>8659657
>>lazy but smart
>stopped here

INTJ detected.
>>
>>8651304
>Lazy but smart
OP formulation "lazy" has a connotation of Moral judgement, you should consider some of those Kids are simply procrastinators.
Which is not necessarily the same as Lazyness afaik.

"

Traditionally, procrastination has been associated with perfectionism: a tendency to negatively evaluate outcomes and one's own performance, intense fear and avoidance of evaluation of one's abilities by others, heightened social self-consciousness and anxiety, recurrent low mood, and "workaholism." "

"The Stoic philosopher Epictetus held that "Men are not moved by events but by their interpretations" [11] Negative coping responses of procrastinating individuals tend to be avoidant or emotional rather than task-oriented or focused on problem-solving. Emotional and avoidant coping is employed to reduce stress (and cognitive dissonance) associated with putting off intended and important personal goals. This option provides immediate pleasure and is consequently very attractive to impulsive procrastinators at their first knowledge of achievable goals.[12][13] There are several emotion-oriented strategies, similar to Freudian defense mechanisms, coping styles and self-handicapping."

OP if you want to do your part to make Society better... tell those Kids they should look into what procrastination is, and that there may be People that can help them.

In German universities sometimes and in increasing numbers there is a free of charge "procrastination ambulance", where psychologists are ready every day to help Kids that notice they struggle with procrastination.

This is taken seriously to an increasing level, as 20% of the German population are affected by this illness.
It only fairly recently came into Focus, it has lots of negative effects on the lifes of those affected.

It doesn't seem to be correlated with IQ, so yeah, you will find the same Distribution of intelligence amongst procrastinators as amongst those who aren't procrastinators..
>>
>>8660941
You have literally summed me up. How do I fix it? Quickly, before i drift off in thoughts again.
>>
>>8661000

If you are German, healthcare System will cover the cost of you seeing a psychotherapist.
Otherwise you'll have to Google "Procrastination" and find only Support shit.
>>
>>8661000

Also now you have an excuse you can tell others :^)
"I'm not lazy, I'm a procrastinator!"
>>
>>8661022
Fuck, kinda close. I'm Belgian. Is that from wikipedia, btw? I'll google it in a second.
>>
>>8661039

Yeah from Wikipedia, you'll find lots on shit on this elsewhere as well though.
>>
>>8661026
Honestly, the last thing I need is excuses.
>>
>>8661044
Fair enough, though "being lazy" is one of the few things in Society that are still associated with lots of shame.

Procrastinators though even feel terrible about it WHILE they procrastinate.
The General perception is that These "Lazy People" simple don't care enough, are indifferent etc.

So yeah knowing whats your issue may help you to find help, it is most likely you won't be able to help yourself, try to be honest with your Close Peers, friends and Family about this issue, and tell them that you Need help.
>>
>>8661044

Possibly you have Elaborate excuses for your failures and delays, alternatively you may even avoid other People, because there is a Chance that they may ask you about your life and you'd tell them how you aren't up to your Goals.

Also for curiousity: do an mbti-personality test and tell us your result: https://www.16personalities.com/
>>
All the type of students discussed on this thread does not exist in amazing universities. If you have issues with them, it means you are a brainlet in a shitty university so blame yourself boohoo.
>>
>tfw type 3
>>
>>8651334
9/10, made me mek
>>
>>8651304
>>8651339
I will always remember the professors who at least pretended like they believed in me
>>
>>8651304
i was a type 3, now i'd consider myself an A- type 2.

the best teacher i've ever had used to explain every single thing, he'd humble down so much i even felt bad asking such obvious questions.

then i realized i was only asking the "obvious" questions because not only I had missed some classes (hence my type 2-ish feeling) but also i wasn't confident enough to realize that my "obvious questions" were actually just me doubting things i had barely learned because of reason one.

best you can do is be patient and explain every single thing for some 5-10 minutes in a row, let him build confidence in himself. if he's still not getting it, leave him to his faith, that's what i would do.
>>
File: 5231251234.jpg (15KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
5231251234.jpg
15KB, 250x250px
>>8651334
whoah!!!!
quantum mechanics, you're so bad ass.
>>
>>8651304
What uni do you teach at OP?
>>
>>8661467
>were actually just me doubting things i had barely learned because of reason one
>tfw

>tfw get questions wrong because I answer them and think "well I'm probably wrong" and go back and re do it and get a wrong answer and put the wrong answer down

;_;
>>
>>8651623
>130 for STEM
And now you no longer have the branch of mechanical engineering.
>>
>>8651334

He's gonna make you his paperwork bitch.
>>
>>8651304
The only reason I went to office hours, is because the TA would fuck your shit up do to formatting/etc otherwise so I wanted to make sure my shit was right before turning it in on projects and assignments
>>
>>8656154
This. Everytime I've asked a teacher or professor anything I've rarely received a better and more understandable explanation than one I can get in an online video or textbook.
>>
>>8661069
Well, I've done better in the past 3 days, by attaining daily goals and tracking them on a website.
>>
>>8662118
every engineering major is filled with retards in it only for the money, and they graduate because there is so many of them that they succeed in bringing down the class average and riding the curve.
>>
>>8652271
Research labs don't pay well, even private ones. They know that most of the people who slug through a PhD and then apply for pure research jobs are usually obsessed with their field.

If you wanted money and a job that mystifies normies you could've just stopped at a BS and become a systems admin. Lifetime earnings are much higher for that field because you can start at 22 and make insane money within 4 years.
>>
>>8651304
Do your fucking job
>>
>>8666531
What to teach?
No way instead you get 3 type of people all lazy.
>>
>>8652504

Some of the most beta fucks join the military. Far from just chads
>>
Why do academic types always refuse to entertain the idea that stupid people exist?

Is it because they're uncomfortable acknowledging their superior intelligence and ability is often the result of the genetic lottery, and not merely a result of hard work?
>>
>>8658358

The educator should tell the student if they aren't cut out for a certain study. Humans are notorious for their inability to see their own faults, and no one is in a better position to tell the student so they don't waste time and money.

Of course, there is the possibility that the professor is simply bad at teaching as well.
>>
>>8666599

Huh? I've never met someone who didn't believe lower intelligence people existed. In fact, many of the smart people I know bemoaned them often.
>>
OP, I wanna teach at university? Wat do?
>>
>>8651304
>Sometimes it's clear they just want a pat on the back or want to show off, but that's okay
thanks for saying that's okay.

i don't have anyone in my life who appreciates what i do, but i need to outgrow needing to be appreciated all the time as well. i'm just growing up. I'm sorry for being annoying.
>>
>>8651335
>a straight "you will never make it, look for a degree that matches your ability" will be of bigger help to them then whatever you can do to make them pass your class.

this. universities need to start doing this again. make university great again.
>>
>>8651596
(you)r kek, sir
>>
>>8652319
>tfw calculus is a tool, and you dont need to be a genius to use it
>>
>>8652685
your smile never reaches your eyes though
>>
>>8653007
so, you have social anxiety and an inferiority complex? me too.
>>
>>8653346
>wew i can chain elementary logic and i memorized a table of symbols and their meanings
>i am smart :^D
>>
>>8656018
>THAT IT'S NOT MY FAULT
the problem is that it actually is your fault. you were just too dumb to realize it.
>>
File: tfw too smart.jpg (174KB, 1000x929px) Image search: [Google]
tfw too smart.jpg
174KB, 1000x929px
TFW type 1.
>>
>>8661069
>Possibly you have Elaborate excuses for your failures and delays, alternatively you may even avoid other People, because there is a Chance that they may ask you about your life and you'd tell them how you aren't up to your Goals

reporting in
>>
>this thread
>all of this insecurity
Why are STEMfags so neurotic?
>>
>>8651334
perhaps some of us don't engage them because we are beyond them. have fun with your pleb "intellectual" conversations.
>>
>>8651623
feynman was 125. perhaps you should sit your chump ass down and know your goddamn place.
>>
>>8661069
>mfw INTJ masterrace

I've done my best when I was actually interested in the subject matter instead of trying to half-ass it like a complete brainlet, but to each student his own.
>>
>>8657702
Found a type three
>>
>>8667273

INTJ is a curse and relegation to a lifetime of loneliness and dissatisfaction

I don't want it anymore
>>
INTP masterrace, but i feel lonely like an INTJ

>Inferior
Fe seeks social connections and creates harmonious interactions through polite, considerate, and appropriate behavior. Fe responds to the explicit (and implicit) wants of others, and may even create an internal conflict between the subject’s own needs and the desire to meet the needs of others.[22] Fe drives the INTP to desire harmony in community. At their most relaxed, INTPs can be charming and outgoing among friends, or when they have a clearly defined role in the group. When under stress, however, INTPs can feel disconnected from the people around them, unable to use their extraverted Feeling to reach out to others. As their inferior function, Feeling can be a weak point; when threatened they will hide behind a wall of stoic logic. This can lead them to bottle up their emotions to preserve reason and harmony; but a failure to deal with these concealed emotions can lead to inappropriate outbursts.
>>
>>8651304
op is type 3
>>
>>8667436
oh just stfu
>>
>>8666333
Also, I don't believe the MBTI is meaningful, but I scored INTP when my girlfriend asked me to do the test.

It's a self fulfilling prophecy. "Oh, I am an introvert. Alright, then I won't bother trying to become more social, because that's just not who I am". And as a result, you don't practice.
>>
File: kill urself u fool.jpg (22KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
kill urself u fool.jpg
22KB, 400x400px
>>8667436
>>
>>8659657
What's up with the article? Isn't that exactly how you would want the world to work? Is the writer claiming this is wrong somehow?
>>
>>8669016
The "sigh" bit is a bit triggering. Like how dare they hire writers on the merits of their writings.
>>
>>8651339
>biology

as a type 1, I'm genuinely wondering how some smart guy could stoop so low as to try and impress some random biology brainlet

most of the types 1 are friends with pure math teachers, not some failed biologist who has to TA instead of doing research.
>>
>>8651927
If you do grad school in an applied subject you almost always learn lots of useful stuff. But you will need good luck trying to explain it to everyone else.
Thread posts: 205
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.