[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /sci/. I'm a mathematics middle school/high school

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20170121_232357.jpg (90KB, 749x735px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170121_232357.jpg
90KB, 749x735px
Hello /sci/. I'm a mathematics middle school/high school teacher (not US) and I'm trying to come up with some sort of competition where my students have to solve problems relating to the material. I need help finding such problems.

Here's what I'm looking for: I would like the problems to be easy so that you could do several of them during one class (so no tough book problems) but not so straight-forward as to be blatantly obvious either. For example questions like those from the math section from the SAT would be perfect.

The problem is I would like access to a lot of questions for free (whereas the SAT apparently you have to buy their books and there are only ten tests). I would also like questions that instead of calculating an answer the stundents are given some reasoning and they have to say if it's correct/incorrect and justify it (idk if that makes sense).

So my question is: are there any free resources with a ton of questions somewhat like the SAT for free? Obviously I would like the questions to be in the middle/high school math range (no advanced topics).
>>
>>8647665
what the fuck is that?
>>
http://www.analyzemath.com/middle_school_math.html

45 seconds using Google.
>>
>>8647689
Spider cigar.
>>
>>8647665
have a cryptography competition
>>
>>8647689
about an ounce of weed, my nigga.
>>
>>8647665

there are free SAT tests on the college board website

also why not think of them yourself? what are they paying you for?
>>
>>8647665
Yes. Your brain can be used to come up with these problems and because you're the fucking teacher you should do that.
>>
>>8648063
>>8648772

First of all I would like a ton of problems. Like 1000 or so.

Second I assume that problems that are thought and tested by people who make a living out of this would be better than problems I thought myself.

Third I'm a lazy fuck. That's why I became a middle/high school teacher in the first place.
>>
>>8648902
you are a disgrace in the name of education

do it yourself or stop teaching math
>>
>>8648990
It's middle school math in probably some public school district. OP is actually doing easily twice the work most teachers of his caliber do.
>>
>>8649027
Thank you! Yes that's true. Yes I'm a public school teacher. The students have no math books and the teacher is expected to make their own Power Point slides (which is what I use) or give their entire lecture on the blackboard out of memory. Also we have to make/find homework questions for the students as well as making and grading the tests. There are only two standardized tests in all of the students education (at 12 years old and 16 years old; and one at 18, but that's for the bright ones that can go to college and that decides the college they get into, kinda like the SAT. But I don't teach 18. I teach 13-16) but they have no effect on the school whatsoever, and the regional "curriculum" is rather vague to put it mildly. So the teachers are expected to use their "expertise" to teach the students however and whatever they deem necessary at that particular age. It is very old-fashioned in the sense that you are treated with the utmost respect from the students as well as the middle/high school community; almost like a demigod. Teachers also have the power (legally and morally) to increase or decrease the grade of students regardless of their academic performance. If they deem the student to be "unruly" or too "cocky" they can fail him even if he though got a good grade in the class. Good times haha. (Jk I'm completely against it, I never do it, but it's standard procedure in all the other teachers).
>>
fuck the education system
>>
>>8649361
So to summarize, yes I work much more than my peers. They are very unprofessional and lazy, and I wonder what do they do in class.

In fact I talked with the Physics and Chemistry teacher the other day while he was grading his exams, telling me what he thinks about each of his students. He showed me the exam of a "really cocky" student (according to him; I have him too. I mean he is cocky, but he's a teenager for god's sake) and I was horrified. The exam was literally a blank sheet of paper and he made the students hand write the questions to the test in the time allotted for taking the exam. On top of that the questions were things he thought about at that particular moment "Explain why a boat doesn't sink in the sea". And the students were expected to write a full paragraph instead of just "Archimedes force". I read Cocky's answer and I thought it was fine, but he took points off of it. He then proceeded to grade the test almost without reading it. Cocky ended up with a bad grade. So yeah just a really unprofessional and lazy group of old fucks.

And if you're wondering what happened to Cocky. He ended up with a 9/10 in my class (highest grade of the class) and passed most of his classes with flying colors. He passed Physics and Chemistry academically, but the old fuck failed him anyway. He had some problems passing Philosophy too because of the teacher.
>>
>>8649361

Teach them trig. It's honestly the most useful math they can learn.
>>
here you go, bank of anything you want, i'd select ciphering(individual speed math) or team

http://famat.org/PublicPages/TestArchive.aspx
>>
>>8649361
One time I increased the grade of a girl who was failing because she was putting in a lot of effort (or that's what I perceived) and she was really poor. And she was very sweet too. I thought it would be cold-hearted of me to fail her so I bumped her grade to a pass. But I would never decrease a grade.
>>
>>8649438
This is fantastic! Thank you!
>>
>>8647665
Just make up your own questions retard
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.