[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vertical farming could be beneficial to humanity in several ways,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: vertical farms.jpg (59KB, 360x476px) Image search: [Google]
vertical farms.jpg
59KB, 360x476px
Vertical farming could be beneficial to humanity in several ways, from making better use of the land to decreasing costs of food transportation from country to city.

What does /sci/ think of this concept in general and, more precisely, why isn't it done en mass?

I believe that if this is done right, the entirety of the planet could be covered with cities and skyscrapers because there would be no more need for conventional agriculture.
>>
>>8642838

I was very skeptical, but the more I see it progressing over time, the more excited I become.

The catch is I think it only works really well for certain types of crops, and I doubt it would be practical to serve as a complete replacement
>>
Building a skyscraper is way more expensive in ft square than buying a field.
>>
>>8642844
>being a poorfag
>>
>>8642846
> literally buying some dirt
>>
>>8642838

This is so fucking retarded. The cost of keeping this thing working and maintained, not to mention the cost of wasting prime real estate on vegetables, would be massively higher than just shipping the vegetables in from outside the city. This is almost as stupid as that "solar power cells as a road surface" scam.
>>
>>8642838
One of the benefits is to use one floor to feed another - crops -> waste to bugs -> bugs to chickens. There's a setup in the netherlands with pigs.
>>
>>8642844
Depends on the country. And shipping from a distant field may be more expensive.
>>
>>8642883
It'll be badass in the Judge Dredd future tho.
>>
They won't use skyscrapers obviously, it is done in abandoned factories with no other use right now.

>>8642841
It's an intermediary step before we just produce "food" directly.
>>
>>8643015
lol no
>>
>>8642838
if you can convince our land-owning farmers that they should give up their country life and live in the city to work in a skyscraper AG lab then I will gladly donate to your kickstarter
>>
>>8642838

Even if vertical farming were to became a thing, if you could put hundreds of those towers on cheap farmland why would you install only a few on an expensive metropolis for the same price?

And increasing production isn't the direction of agriculture, the world population will stabilize in a few decades, the focus will be on raising quality and appealing to "organic" fags who are willing to pay more for the same amount of food.
>>
>>8643055
automation
>>
File: 1479109980106.jpg (43KB, 570x587px) Image search: [Google]
1479109980106.jpg
43KB, 570x587px
>>8642838
enjoy paying 50 bucks for an apple
>>
>>8642838
Energy and scale are the problem with this to some extent. It might make more sense to just have some modular form of vertical farming where you can replace a home garden with it than a whole skyscraper. Cuts out the delivery and processing middleman out completely at that.
>>
What land costs in a city, and what makes "sense" in terms of land use there is not at all sensible in the large open areas of the country

The idea that you can replace ground farms with fucking multi-level buildings is insane
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.