[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /sci/. I'm a math major currently in my first semester

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: calculus.jpg (252KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
calculus.jpg
252KB, 2560x1440px
Hey, /sci/. I'm a math major currently in my first semester of calculus (Yes, yes I know, kek and all that - I fucked up in highschool and I had to start in Algebra in college). Every time I talk to my professors about what's after calc 3 and differential equations, they always put me on the ruse cruise and refuse to tell me what's after it.

I hear from people in my current class it's just ton of proofs. What sort of ruse cruise am I in for?
>>
>>8640334
Analysis, abstract algebra, topology, and possibly others depending on the branches you study. Look up Cauchy sequences. That's a first step in your first real analysis course.
>>
>>8640359
Likewise, look up groups. That's a first step in Abstract Algebra.
>>
>>8640363
>>8640359
Thanks man
>>
>>8640334
math major?

prolly matrix theory, linear alg, advanced theory, prolly some wave analysis, and some MATLAB classes obv
>>
>>8640334
>greens theorem
>stokes theorem

Can someone explain to me the practical applications of these?
I remember taking calc 3 (it's been almost 8 years ago) and failing to see why it's necessary. I think the only benefit I received was being able to conceptualize abstract problems
>>
>>8640334
I never went to college. I knew a dude that had a degree in mathematics and somehow he graduated without even know that groups,rings,fields even existed. I'm not even sure what they are but at least I know they exist. I guess their basically the stuff the rest of arithmetic and algebra is build on top of and where things like commutative, associative, etc properties come from.
>>
>>8641478

Dont know much. But Aerodynamicist use (now you have all fancy types of software) them for flows and what not.

So fluid dynamics.
>>
>>8641478
Just because *you* don't use something doesn't mean it's useless it may mean you're a monkey
>>
>>8641572
That's not what he's implying, brainlet. He's asking people who do know the amswer for information
>>
>>8641478
Are you serious? Aside from being key theoretical building blocks for pretty much all of Physics and Engineering they're used directly to solve problems (analytically and numerically) in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, materials science, atomic and nuclear dynamics.

Indirectly they're used in the study of partial differential equations and finite element methods which are used by all branches of engineering.
>>
>>8641577
You can google applications of any area of math you want yet this ape hasn't been able to find an application of Stokes in 8 years.
>>
>>8641478
Analytic solution methods for any flux based problem. Also used in numerical methods for BEM conceptualization and other related methods
>>
yo better solve those shreky line integrals really fast before big ogre finds out and get ur little tight anus into a sore green one
>>
>>8640334
Analysis, topology, group theory, PDEs, differential geometry, optimization, etc
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.