[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Calc 2 babby here. Can someone explain what does this mean?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Advanced Mathematics.jpg (80KB, 631x377px) Image search: [Google]
Advanced Mathematics.jpg
80KB, 631x377px
Calc 2 babby here. Can someone explain what does this mean?

[eqn]\oint_C \frac{z^2}{2-z} \,dz [/eqn] where [math]C[/math] is the circumference [math] | z - 1 | = 2 [/math]

Now, this is not a homework thread. I don't care about how to solve it. Actually, I know enough about Cauchy's integral formula to solve this. I want to know what this means. I know this type of integral has to do with a generalization of Riemann sums which I can perfectly understand for real spaces but what does this mean when you are defining an integral over a circle? What is the Riemann sum actually summing? An intuitive explanation would be enough but if someone could draw the rectangles being summed then that would be amazing.
>>
>>8635534
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_integral
>>
The thing about complex analysis, is that you're integrating over a 4-dimensional space, or basically, something that resembles R^4.

This means there is no intuitive way of imagining complex integration, other than thinking of how line integrals work in R^3.

Imagine you're in 3D space, and draw a curve on it. Then when you integrate, you're finding the area of the lets say, Riemann rectangles under the curve. Now imagine this curve is a closed loop. You're still finding the area under the curve.

You can draw a curve in any dimensional space with 2<=n, so you can define line integrals for any such dimensional space, and in particular, n=4 (with n=2 being your normal babby integral)
>>
>>8635586
Not really. You're integrating over a 2D space with a 2D vector field defined on it. It's really just like Green's theorem.

When you do a closed loop integral that evaluates to 0 what it means is that you're just doing a line integral in a conservative field.

Complex analysis is mostly just 2D vector calculus.
>>
>>8635586
I think I kinda understand. The analogy with 3D space makes it a bit understandable but I am still lacking intuition. I mean, when I set up integrals for normal calculus problems I rely a lot on intuition. For example, If I want to find the volume of revolution of a curve I do a rough sketch and do a lot of labelings on my graph to know how to set up the integral in a way that it will give me the actual volume I want. How can I bring this intuition for complex integrals.

A simpler example I was reading is how if you define the function
[eqn] f(z) = \frac{1}{z} [/eqn] and integrate it over the circle [math] |z| = 1 [/math] the answer you get is [math] 2 \pi i [/math].

What is the intuition behind that? From what I see is that if I grab that function over that circle, what I get is the same circle. The function just shuffles the points around.

Then I also noticed that the result of the integral of that function over that circle is the circumference of that circle, multiplied by i.

Does this mean anything? Is it just a coincidence? What is the intuition behind this result?
>>
>>8635592
Pi can never be a perfect circle

Phi on the other hand..
>>
>>8635591
you're taking a function of two variables, which has an output of two variables. To be able to graph the function, you must have 4 axes.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.