[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>your major >do you regret picking it, if so why >what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 29

File: Thinking-man.jpg (71KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Thinking-man.jpg
71KB, 640x480px
>your major

>do you regret picking it, if so why

>what would you choose if starting again and why
>>
>>8631880
SE

Yes, only redeeming about it is the formal semantics and verification aspect.

I would choose mathematics or CE if I could start again because like electrical circuits, programming and mathematics.
>>
>>8631880
Programming/database dev and a solid, basic understanding of computers. I wouldn't change it. Computer skill is needed in almost all disciplines and programming is good practice in communicating precisely to get the correct answer.
>>
CS

Yes, I don't really like programming. I went to a CC and we did light programming so I didn't care. Transferred to UC Irvine and being forced with more programming but the assignments are wayyyy harder.

If I could change it I would probably
Choose stats
>>
>>8631880
Graduate computer science at high ranked university (for graduate computer science).

No regrets, because I have an genuine interest in my field unlike you pathetic hanger-ons.

If I could start again I would only add a mathematics double major for undergrad (although I already had a double degree in undergrad I wasn't allowed to triple major for reasons which may have been a lie).
>>
>>8631880

>Computer science, focus in theoretical computer science
>no
>Computer science; I enjoy it.
>>
>>8631982

What is your research area?
>>
>>8631880
>Physics
The only thing I regret is not waiting a year before I enroll so I wouldn't have to suffer an absolute asshole of a teacher for our analysis classes, which last throughout the whole undergrad. His requirements are absolutely fucking impossible. Only like 5% people pass the classes and we're in the fifth semester.
>>
>>8631987
I may master out of my PhD program for the free masters since it may simply be a better investment.

If not, my main interests are in machine learning and logic. So AI if you will, from both the symbolic AI camp and the optimization camp.
>>
>>8631880
Mathematics

Not the major but the university is shit, passed everything so far but feel like I'm learning nothing.

Mathematics at some other uni
>>
>>8631995

Any specific topics/questions you've been thinking about in these areas?
>>
>>8631880
History

No, I have become a literal G-D

I would double take archaeology too to make myself a demi-g-d/g-d combo
>>
>>8631880
Pure Mathematics

No

If I was given the chance to start all over again then I would pick pure mathematics babyyyyyyy. Studying mathematics is like being perpetually high. Professors don't give out homework, they give challenges and articles. Professors don't come with gay ass powerpoints, they show a list of topics to get through and start narrating the story of how real men do real mathematics from their head. Sometimes I find problems here that I then to take to uni and show my professors to see if they can assist. I and every other student are on a semi-friend level relationship with professors as all classes are very small and contained because the math classes given to us are completely separated from the ones they give to the subhumans in other majors, probably for our safety. They say low IQ is contagious. Etc. From what I hear from my friends I can deduce that other majors are jobs that don't pay you anything. And if you go to a private university or live in a third world country you even have to PAY to have that job. topkek..
>>
Environmental science
Yes. Started with biology, fucked up a bit and switched to environmental science so I could graduate faster. Turns out the department here sucks compared to the school I transferred from. I'm going to graduate knowing barely anything about environmental science.

I guess even though it's not a serious science, "the cause" of taking care of the environment drew me to it, and makes it a worthwhile field. I like how practical it is. But I loved biology, and I was so disappointed about fucking it up that I hated/wanted to kill myself for a bit. I wish I had started taking stimulants a year or two earlier.
>>
>>8632008
don't worry my mom had like 30 years experience and makes 6 figs you'll be fine. she can't even do science shit it's just legal bullshit
>>
>>8631998
There has been some success in incorporating both approaches in modern expert systems like IBM Watson. Also Question Answering systems in NLP have benefited from logical specifications.

Generally I think that logics for modelling agents beliefs are very interesting (such as modal logic) and in general logic is a fun subject for me.

I'm still learning about machine learning honestly, although I have implemented methods in the past and have a general understanding of the various popular algorithms I don't have a "graduate" level depth yet, but I will after this semester.
>>
>>8631880
Political Science

No, I'm already employed by the Federal Government.

Probably Economics, that way I can focus on economic theory and apply for cool economic thinktanks.
>>
>>8632000
Kek, what kind of Mickey Mouse school is this ?
>>
>>8632015
I am so sorry your professors still see you as a little kid so much to the point that they still need to give you homework and give you nice pretty animated powerpoints so that you can learn because your professors wouldn't even trust you to learn even the simplest thing on your own.

Some people are on the big leagues, you are still in adult pre-school, which is what I call undergrad at bad universities.
>>
Golf management
Nah, shit was cash. Paid this dude to write all of my papers, and he always scored us good weed.
But if I could do it all over again I would minor in math so I could bang the grad assistant for the abstract algebra course. Stellar ass.
>>
>>8632021
Lol wtf? I go to a top 10 national public university. Not sure how exactly it is for math majors, but here, professor may or may not use PowerPoint, if they do, it has less than 15-20 words per slide. Professors here introduce the material. Assign homework graded on correct answers, that you have to learn on your own. If you're stuck, you go to office hours or TAs office hours or discussion.

I'm sure you can talk a lot about math topics, but I doubt you can actually solve a problem.
>>
>>8632038
>professor may or may not use PowerPoint, if they do, it has less than 15-20 words per slide

The only professors who even use any kind of visual aid are the geometry/topology guys who do it only to show us their top shapes.

>Assign homework graded on correct answers

Here professors assign problems but do not grade them. That is why I called them more like challenges. I also call them challenges because sometimes they assign a proof to every student and then the next day they ask them show their proof to the rest of the class. Sometimes people don't do it and they are just like "okay, see you in the finals ;^)".

>but I doubt you can actually solve a problem.

Give me a problem baby, I'll solve it. And if I can't then I will admit I can't.
>>
File: Claymore - Claymore 096 - 17.jpg (301KB, 840x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Claymore - Claymore 096 - 17.jpg
301KB, 840x1200px
Bioengineering

No

Bioengineering
>>
>>8631880
>your major
Physics
>Do you regret picking it? If so, why?
I don't
>What would you choose if starting again and why
I wouldn't change it.
>>
>>8632052
What do bioengineers do? Is it mostly prosthetics, or do you make other stuff too?
>>
Mathematics, concentrated in information theory, and computer science.

It's been great so far, except that my university tailors the CS program to people who want to develop software, rather than developing a theoretical background.

I could have graduated a year earlier if I just went for the math degree, but I probably still would have gone for the double. Maybe a different CS program than the base path.
>>
>>8632049
You obviously go to a shit school. Stop pretending otherwise there's no shame in it.
>>
geology

no. I enjoyed the classes in undergrad and got a job as soon as i graduated.

I'd probably go with math if I could start again.
>>
>>8632092
What do geophysicists do exactly? Been interested in geology since I took a few courses to fill up the credits.
>>
>>8632091
It's probably not. I mean, just because my professors don't do it doesn't mean other faggots do it anyways. I mean, the only reason I know that other majors are like bad jobs is because unfortunately I have gen-ed requirements. And those motherfucking humanities classes are nothing but retarded homework. Every class we get new homework assigned for the next class. It is the gayest shit ever. Not only that but every class is literally
>Check out this weeks powerpoint presentation!

Holy shit who cares. I could do a power point presentation. I am sitting in your shitty lecture to get knowledge right from your head. Knowledge no one else could conjure up in the way you are. Knowledge no one in any course past or future will be able to get in this form. But NOPE. Here you get this dated as fuck powerpoint presentation. Did any of you bring your USB? You can take the presentation if you like!

Gay. as. fuck. Professors of other departments don't have an ounze of shame.
>>
>>8631880

>your major

CS

Yes. Hard time starting a stable, consistent career.

MBA. I could be more social and have higher income potential. I could avoid competing against so many international geniuses because I would have the unfair advantage of being native born.
>>
>>8631880
Mechanical Engineering.
No. I enjoyed my education, I love what I do (FEM) and I have met many wonderful people.
Mechanical Engineering.
>>
File: IMG_20170126_175206.jpg (95KB, 1280x1212px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170126_175206.jpg
95KB, 1280x1212px
>>8632082

Biomedical engineers design instruments, devices, and software used in healthcare; bring together knowledge from many technical sources to develop new procedures; or conduct research needed to solve clinical problems.

They often serve a coordinating function, using their background in both engineering and medicine. For example, they may create products for which an indepth understanding of living systems and technology is essential. They frequently work in research and development or in quality assurance.

Biomedical engineers design electrical circuits, software to run medical equipment, or computer simulations to test new drug therapies. In addition, they design and build artificial body parts, such as hip and knee joints. In some cases, they develop the materials needed to make the replacement body parts. They also design rehabilitative exercise equipment.

The work of these engineers spans many professional fields. For example, although their expertise is based in engineering and biology, they often design computer software to run complicated instruments, such as three-dimensional x-ray machines. Alternatively, many of these engineers use their knowledge of chemistry and biology to develop new drug therapies. Others draw heavily on mathematics and statistics to build models to understand the signals transmitted by the brain or heart.
>>
>>8631880
mechanical engineering

yes, too many retards attracted to it because DUDE CARS LMAO. a lot of the classes are too far removed from reality. even in latter classes too much time is spent on idiotic approximations and semi-empirical approaches that rely heavily on charts and graphs that haven't been widely used for decades. it would make much more sense to develop a more rigorous physical model, which is what i was interested in, the mechanics portion of physics. either that, or use modern solution methods and software.

chemical or electrical engineering. i believe both have far less retards, and the classes should be more interesting and based in reality.
>>
> MSCE
Graduated 2011

>I regret not pursuing a career with variability. I'd rather go into medicine, nursing, something that would bring different situations on the daily as opposed to the same

>would pursue Medical
>>
>>8632129
So why not just join us in the physics department? You only have to take maybe 4 or 5 electives to be more focused on engineering physics. 3 thermodynamics classes, mechanical design and I suppose whatever elective would have a better focus.
>>
>>8632103
>other faggots do it
>gayest shit ever
>literally
>motherfucking humanities classes are nothing but retarded
>dated as fuck powerpoint
>Gay. as. fuck

I would recommend learning how to express yourself better than a 14 year old. Does your community college offer English courses?
>>
>>8632129

My friend from Japan got a Mechanical Engineering degree.

He is in sales now. At first he was really bitter, but I think he has saved up money and made lots of friends now.
>>
Should have done physics instead of math
>>
>>8632132
if i knew then what i know now i would have obviously done things differently. unfortunately, it's far too late for that now as i'm in my fourth year of mechanical engineering phd.

if i had to do it again and didn't go into chemical/electrical engineering, then i would do statistics, physics, or applied math and computer science.
>>
>>8631880
I legit fucked up and got a poly sci and gender studies degree (i was pretty high at the time)

Parents have money so grad school in food science and chemistry (i know its not the hardest but easy to get into, fair job prospects)
>>
>>8632146
Rekt
But I do know the frustrated of being inundated with too many humanities classes...
>>
>>8632166
a lot of my peers went into positions not related to mechanical engineering. there is a shortage of entry level jobs, and the few entry level jobs that exist (which you likely won't get without referral anyway) revolve around drafting (i already learned CAD in high school, no need for a ME degree to do this) or technician level work, again you don't need a degree to do this.

that's not to say that there aren't interesting jobs, but there isn't many of them and they are highly competitive plus nepotism reigns supreme. my cousin is going to graduate with his chemical engineering degree this year so we'll see how things go for him, but i'm certainly not happy with how things turned out for me.
>>
>>8632175
Gotcha, that sucks man. I hope you find what you look for though.It's never too too late, I mean you have enough experience to do co-ops and internships, you can use that to pay for a few more semesters if you switch to phyics. I'm going to assume you've already taken Uni phy I & II, at least a computer science class or 2, gen chem I & II, Calc I-III and DiffE. So that just leaves 3-4 semesters of core and electives in physics. It's what I did after 2 semesters in MechE, but I only did 1 co-op and just saved the stipend and pay I got from it, used it for the extra semesters I'm in now.
>>
>>8631880
Environmental science, learned a lot from many different fields because it's so multidisciplinary and it really lets you get your foot in the door for any science you're interested in. However it also makes me want to fucking die because I know just how much things are going to shit over the upcoming years. Ignorance is bliss but knowledge is power so it's hard to tell if I actually regret it or not.
>>
>>8632332
why do people consider environmental science a meme?
>>
>>8632175
>fourth year of mechanical engineering phd
How do you get that far with something you don't like?
>>
>>8632347
My guess is that when someone thinks of the word environmental they immediately picture a hippy learning about some liberal art bullshit and adding science at the end as a buzzword. Not the case at all and they should really look at the cirriculum, I guess it can change from school to school as any field can.
>>
>>8632355
it paid, albeit not much, and i couldn't find a job after undergrad. my academic performance/experience made me competitive in terms of gaining entry into a phd program, but i guess not in terms of getting a job in the industry. the grad courses were actually far better than undergrad, but they were more math intensive and i also took a couple of quantum courses.

the research i can't say i care much for. i just want to half ass a thesis and get the fuck out in 5 years total, although i am a bit worried if i'll manage to finish in that time frame.

tl;dr a product of circumstance.
>>
>>8632347
idk my friend landed a legit job with environmental science for Verizon.
impact reports and such.
>>
>Biomedical Science

>about the graduate, seems like you're doomed to be a lab tech unless you go postgrad so I guess the job opportunities suck

>still have enjoyed it at least, maybe i'd just be an engineer if i started again (lul)
>>
File: 1484551055723.jpg (23KB, 750x514px) Image search: [Google]
1484551055723.jpg
23KB, 750x514px
>>8631880
Software developing

Highly regretting , but i'm doing it for the money anyways

Definitely something more physical, petroleum engineering maybe?
>>
>>8631880
>>8632014
American Politics as well.
Totally worth it, and even if it doesn't work out I'll have statistics to fall back on, so why not have fun, studying something interesting in the meanwhile.
>>
>PhD student in Computational Science and Engineering

It's pretty cool to get to work with supercomputers and before Trump took office I was pretty certain I'd land a nice DOE job someday. Now everyone's uncertain. (That's actual researchers that are worried, not just redditors.)

My only regret is that is that I didn't pursue my first passion, cryptography. If things don't work out with my current advisor, I may try to make a switch to Computational cryptanalysis, since I'd be able to apply some of my current skills, and then I could land a cushy NSA job.
>>
File: 1353800048690.jpg (191KB, 600x488px) Image search: [Google]
1353800048690.jpg
191KB, 600x488px
>>8631880

computer engineer

no, I'm working with safety critical embedded automotive shit at a good salary after 3 months of job hunting. I've never been huge on cars but I love safety critical work and microcontrollers are a hobby. Love my coworkers too

Maybe computer science. Computer engineering was way more credit hours and I think if I had done an electronic technologist diploma first I'd be exactly where I am now except with better grades.

I also like the idea of research but I think I need to get my shit together before going back to school. I drink too much and I smoke weed everyday.

I also romanticize about becoming a professional nature photography. I do it as a hobby now but I'd love to work for the BBC. The drone stuff they did for planet earth 2 was really neato
>>
>>8632146
this thread was a good thread
>>
File: Leek spin.gif (159KB, 520x355px) Image search: [Google]
Leek spin.gif
159KB, 520x355px
Anyone with a chem degree here?

Is chem really a saturated with graduates as I hear, or is it a fair pick for jobs?
>>
EE

I don't regret it yet, but I'm only just finishing up my second year prerequisites. Fucking hope I don't hate my engineering classes though, since I found a burning passion for math and a love of programming and chemistry along the way. Would be pissed if I passed up those fields for nothing.
>>
EE

Already dropped out because I don't want to work with autistic spergs and neckbears in my whole career.

Already doing eletrician. Same shit but I don't have to walk on eggshells around people.
>>
File: brainletsBTFO.png (366KB, 890x343px) Image search: [Google]
brainletsBTFO.png
366KB, 890x343px
>>8632049
>Give me a problem baby, I'll solve it. And if I can't then I will admit I can't.
Okay Captain autism. Prove 3.8 in pic related. Try not to sperg out too much.
>>
>your major
Computational Science
>Do you regret picking it? If so, why?
I don't. The academic work is fulfilling and I enjoy to fuck around with the simulation methods in my free time
>>
>>8631999
>g-d
Why do people do this? Why not just use another word in place of god so your post isnt as awful to read.
>>
File: 1485107137173.png (156KB, 542x433px) Image search: [Google]
1485107137173.png
156KB, 542x433px
>>8633113
It's a Jewish convention.
>>
>>8633114
I know, but if you are going to say "I'm a g-d at something." Why not just swap out god for another word with similar meaning to avoid the word god completely.
>>
File: 0505bionicEye_729[1].jpg (104KB, 729x465px) Image search: [Google]
0505bionicEye_729[1].jpg
104KB, 729x465px
>>8632128
>>8632082
PhD in biomed engineering. Studying blood flow trying to link fluid mechanics with vascular disease onset. Much more really interesting future of medicine type shit goes on in biomed engy not medicine itself
>>
>>8633123
It's to meme
>>
>Business Management
In a way I dont actually regret it, because its multi-disciplinary, and at the time I think I secretly wanted to make video games and didnt really have an aim in life, so I picked business as a better of three options (Biology, English Literature and Business Studies) playing it safe so I could always get menial work if things go south in life for me.

I think if I had to choose differently I might have chose Psychology and Sociology, because in a way Business management is a specialised applied version of it. The management and manipulation of people into doing what you want, but also in doing whats best for them for collective benefit.

I've always been a highly neurotic loner, for better or worse, stubborn and constantly wanting to improve by myself, though can work with others reluctantly. Not the best kind of person for actually operating and running a business day to day since I dont make a good impression on the average person because until I am comfortable around them I can be pretty cold.
I prefered to subtly manipulate my team mates in group activities to do things my way without taking a direct leadership role, acting like a plant but secretly shaping the outcome.

Dont confuse me for being cold and unfeeling though. My motivations might be internally cold and calculative but my intentions are caring. I do want to make life better for everyone in my own way. Especially my family.

Funnily enough, I also dont like how most organisations operate either. Bad work culture is often rampant and heavily reinforced by an organisational elite that isnt critically self-aware and stuck in their ways.

People who call social sciences a meme havent truly dived into the deep end of studying them.

Just remember, even nobel prize winning autistic super scientists can be manipulated by average intelligence'd amoral dickholes into giving their fortunes away to them by pretending to be their friend. We are still bound by our basic habitual needs.
>>
>>8631880
Physics.
Duh, it's difficult. And I was not employable. Went to pretty great school too.

CS or EE seems interesting.
>>
>physics math joint major

> yeah a little. not really stoked to try to sell it to consulting firms and stuff

>applied math major and comp minor
>>
>>8632887

I graduated with a bachelor's in chemistry last month and I've head about 4 call backs so far. It's not bad but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Chemi if you really like chemistry. If I could do it all over again I would probably to business or ChemE
>>
>>8633333

Disregard typos. Was typed on a phone
>>
>>8631880
Biochemistry

I don't, it's lit

I did start again. previously was humanities and I hated it
>>
>>8631880
Psychology

Actually no

Neuroscience so I can learn more on what causes the brain to function a particular way and so I can see where psychiatric disorders like autism, bipolar, and schizophrenia come from.
>>
Software Engineering.

Yes and no. Yes, because I will probably end up making a decent living, job security is high, and there are development jobs everywhere. No, because we are looked at (especially on /sci/) as being barely one step above retail workers.
>>
People with less than 125 IQ shouldn't be accepted into university. They are a waste of resources.
>>
>CompSci
Yes, my uni achually put me with the Software Engineer faggots for the first year. Muh Vidya games. I hate them sooo much.
Would choose applied mathematics or physics instead and move to machine learning later.
>>
>>8633415
Nice meme, faggot.

>inb4 projection

They should let sub par humans in to fund higher beings
>>
>>8631880
Mathematical finance(quantitative finance)
yes
Pure math because of topology :(
>>
>>8631880
Biology.

Yes. It's a stamp-collecting major. I am chocked full of useless facts. I can't even share anything interesting because nobody asks because nobody cares. Did you know there are fish that can live in -2 degree water because they produce antifreeze proteins?

Now I'm taking chemistry courses so I actually do something useful like medicine or pharmacy.
>>
>Geology and applied math

I love my subjects. Almost chose geophysics, but I'm glad I didn't. More versatile in my opinion, I don't think it will lock me into a specific career path.

If I could change anything, I would have started earlier. I was military bound for most of high school, didn't care about school and college until my last two years. In the end, I took a full ride at a mediocre school.

Wish I would have busted ass sooner and applied to Caltech. Love that place so much.
>>
>>8631880
>Philosophy

>Regret, because everybody is flying in the clouds here and nobody respects science

>Physics, specializing in string theory, because it's the closest to "the foundation science of the world" if we take aside philosophy.
>>
>>8634011
LOL string theory is made-up garbage
mathematics is the true foundation of all truth in the world, brainlet
>>
>>8634017
>He is a mathematical Platonist

>Thinks he has the right to call anyone a brainlet

Mathematics is just a bunch of logically consistent instruments, social constructions, that prove their usefulness by being applied by scientists, engineers and lay people. Studying instruments of discovery will not tell anything about actual structure of the world, you idiot.

>LOL string theory is made-up garbage

And they call /sci/ at least somewhat smart when people here don't know of what "theoretical" means, huh.
>>
ChemE
Not really, there's a lot of room for career growth and some areas in water purification, nanomaterials and biomaterials are interesting desu.
I still don't know if I want to do MechE or ChemE
>>
>Physics
>idk
>bullet to the head
>>
>your major
ChemE
Not really regret, I quite like it, but the job perspectives make me kinda uneasy about my future. I also wonder what my life would be like if I had picked EE instead.
As I said above, EE. Actually EE was my second option when I was choosing my major. And currently my biggest interest is process control, and since EE take a lost of control systems courses, I think I could still work on process control while having better employability.
Recently I also have picked interest in applications of control theory in systems biology, so I wonder if biomedical engineering would be a good choice too, but I don't know how much of a meme BME as an undergrad major is. Besides, I feel like this is too much of an academic topic, and I wouldn't have much opportunities in industry.
>>
File: 1440907493518.jpg (7KB, 252x240px) Image search: [Google]
1440907493518.jpg
7KB, 252x240px
>>8633935
>Did you know there are fish that can live in -2 degree water because they produce antifreeze proteins?
>>
File: prosthetics1.jpg (279KB, 1200x797px) Image search: [Google]
prosthetics1.jpg
279KB, 1200x797px
>>8633211
Yes, Biomedical Engineering is helping achieve the goals of Transhumanism and Extropianism.
>>
>>8631880
- Industrial Engineer IT&Electronics
- No, it gets me well payed jobs
- In a non-fucked up world: experimental physicist (astrophysics or quantum physics), but currently the scientific world is so biased towards positive results and budgets that the a physicist job produces more stress than excitement. I'm happy just learning by going through books and courses on the topics.
>>
>>8633410
you do understand, i hope, that once neurology gets into more mature stadium, psychology would be rendered worthless (due to superior experimental results).
>>
>Major
Physics, Math, Astro

>Regret picking
Only math

>What would I change if I started again
Start working in a lab and doing research immediately upon arriving on campus.
>>
>BA chem, BS phys

I definitely regret chem, it's just a drag on my GPA because I still haven't gotten the hang of how to pick out patterns in chemical reactions so that it's not just straight up memorizing (mind you, I'm finishing up my last semester of chem classes now, still have a year of physics left).

If I could do it over, I would keep the BS in physics, and change out the BA in chem for a BA in math, since math is the only class where I consistently get As with a minimal amount of effort.
>>
>your major
physics and math

yes, too much appeal to intuition instead of mathematical logic and rigour, and too many bullshit classes that rely on material that isn't taught or proved (in my condensed matter physics, and in my modern optics class, for example)

math, because not only does it satisfy the autism requirements stated above, but also because the physics classes offered by the math department are a hundredfold superior for that reason
>>
>>8633399
what do you plan on doing or are doing after your bs?
>>
>>8634092
Wow I got a (you). Somebody does care!

It's true, they're called crocodile icefish.
>>
>>8633333
nice quints
>>
File: the_wanderer.jpg (377KB, 1634x2076px) Image search: [Google]
the_wanderer.jpg
377KB, 1634x2076px
>Graduated with a B.S. in Biology

>Fun to study but career paths at the bachelor's level are comparable to walmart

>After a few years of makeup classes, I will be starting grad school for computer engineering in the spring

It sounds like there might at least be biomedical opportunities for me so studying biology wasn't a complete waste.... hopefully.
>>
>>8634347
What kind of biological advantage does this provide for them?
>>
>>8634434
Not OP. But it's pretty obvious...
>>
>>8634454
Then tell me :(
>>
>>8634462
They can survive in cold waters.
>>
>>8631880
Math and Physics
Regret because I didn't go to an elite college, only a top-50 one, so both are worthless degrees
Would have done physics with CS instead and taken only upper level math courses
>>
some advice from a recruiter

if you don't go to a top 20, don't major in anything that isn't technical. your degree will be worthless in comparison to the top 20 guys. CS degrees allow you to give huge portfolios to show your work which is all we care about, and engineering degrees are extremely rigorous in themselves, these qualities rendering the reputation of a university negligible in the eyes of any recruiter for software devs/engineers. we literally don't care as long as the universities programs are properly accredited, which we know before we even arrive to any job fairs etc...
>>
>>8634788

So if I went to a top 5 school, could you hook me up with some interviews?

I have been wondering if there was some sort of service where I could pay someone a percent of my salary for helping me get on boarded somewhere. Maybe not quite recruiting. Maybe like career coaching or something.
>>
>>8631880
CS
No, I'm too stupid for anything harder but I'm smart enough to do well in CS classes.

>>8631970
I would have gone to UCI but I'm not Asian nor do I have an Adderall addiction so I didn't get in.
>>
English.

No, autodidact and a published author. I'm trying to incorporate some math in my works.

Got a lot of hate from the STEM fags at my uni at first but we ended up being friends.
>>
>>8631880
>information management (not american, don't know what would be an equilavent graduation in US)

>no. this is my second year and its pretty nice

>already 'started again'. this is my my 3rd 'start again' but i'm feelin' it, this is what I want

>tfw yesterday went to an internship interview and it went very well
>tfw its an actual interesting job (basically database for business intelligence) that fits 100% my graduation field and not fucking formating computers and help stupid users access their emails like 90% of IT internships at least here in my country

I REALLY hope I land this job
>>
>>8634805
no dumb fuck. i'm just saying that if you aren't at a good school, don't do anything extremely competitive that relies mostly on reputation like business or science. do technical, almost vocational things like engineering and computer science and nobody will care where you went as long as it's accredited.
>>
File: gfddfghhfg.jpg (185KB, 1652x833px) Image search: [Google]
gfddfghhfg.jpg
185KB, 1652x833px
daily reminder /sci/ finished this in the battle almost two years ago
>>
>>8634825

Oh, that's not as exciting as I was hoping.

So you just mean go all in or all out.

There is not really a big reason to put in alot of work at a school that is not ranked in the top 20's?

Another reason why capitalism blows. Grow up rich or gtfo.
>>
>>8634838
Implying US has better education than Germany
>>
>>8634850
>Implying US has better education than Germany

Every time man. Every time this is brought up it hits me in the feels. Sacrificed so much just to be able to afford going to school.
>>
>>8634825
Are Berkeley, Carnegie Mellon, UCLA, or USC decent? none are top 20
>>
>>8631963
Tbh
>>
>>8631880
Pure Mathematics

Yes, but not for the reason you may expect.

If I had to start again, I'd do Pure Math again. My grades are fine now but I'm in my final year and I partied a lot and did next to 0 assignments and straight up didn't do several midterms so all of my grades were mid 60s. Now I realize I won't be able to get a job with a pure math degree unless I get at least a master's degree and go into academia. I love the topics but in order to get into grad school with my ~2.8GPA I'd have to probably do an extra year of schooling in grad courses or publish a paper or ask a fuckload of professors to do research.
>>
>>8634854
wat

>>8634856
i'm talking top 20 in your major
>>
>>8634856

Whatever you are thinking about majoring in, I have a hard time believing Berkeley is not in the top 20 list.
>>
>>8634867

Germany has nice education and it is free.

As an American, I kind of wish I was born in Germany.
>>
>>8634867
>>8634872
Chemistry. UCLA and Berkeley are both powerhouses for that, but I know the job market for it is shit
>>
>>8634884

Yeah, my friend graduated from Berkeley with a chemistry degree. He worked for a large company for a couple years and then got his masters degree with me in a field unrelated to chemistry.
>>
File: images__3_.jpg (10KB, 251x201px) Image search: [Google]
images__3_.jpg
10KB, 251x201px
>CS
>No I'm loving it. So glad I switched from EE to Cs. Much faster and easier degree to get through with minimal stress and a social life that's finally picking up. I'm the happiest I've been in a long time

>If I had to I'd switch to something I'd do math with cs minor. Maybe CE if I really wanted that engineering "prestige"
>>
>>8634874
have fun getting blown up or run over
>>
>>8634900

Sounds like something an American would say. You are American, right?
>>
>>8634904
i'm german. don't come here.
>>
>>8634918

I still might come because Germany is awesome, but I will tell my friends that it is a shit hole.
>>
>Major
Chemical Engineering

>Do you regret picking it
Yes, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT GO FOR THIS MAJOR IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR JOB SECURITY. All relevant ChemEng industries are on the decline right now, and it is becoming increasingly common for ChemEng grads to find jobs, even with good GPAs and multiple internships. In particular, I wanted to move into Materials or Pharma research and work on synthesizing drugs, but the market is so fucking impacted and saturated that I'd likely spend at least a year being unemployed. I'm at the point where I'm considering spending 3 more years at my uni to switch to EE or MechE, both of which are much more secure. To add to that, if you like chemistry, YOU WILL NOT LIKE ChemEng. It's literally just fluid dynamics and being a glorified plumber. This major is a bigger meme than Bioengineering, which is actually rather decent. Sure, ChemEng has more jobs at the moment, but its growth is RIDICULOUS. Now compare that with:

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm

I've been cucked, hard. Unless you are incredibly passionate about ChemEng, you will regret this, forever.

>What would you choose if starting again and why
Man, tons of things. Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Bioengineering, Civil Engineering, Math, Accounting, Econ, Computer Science.
>>
>>8634934
so much for chemical engineering master race lol

don't sweat it anon. at least your major was hard and you get brownie points in interviews
>>
File: 1359934883278.jpg (96KB, 646x404px) Image search: [Google]
1359934883278.jpg
96KB, 646x404px
>>8634934
>tfw I'm transferring into colleges under Chemical Engineering
>read this post

I know that switching into an engineering major is hard, but please, please tell me it's relatively easy to switch to another engineering major once you arrive at a school and are in an engineering major.

Holy hell, I've heard about these ChemEng problems from actual profs but I didn't listen. Why did /sci/ suck off this major so much?. I might even switch to math or CS.
>>
>>8634943
in our school there was no questions asked. i gave a paper to some lady, wrote ''mech E'' in shitty handwriting two days later i got the switch. eng classes especially in the first year are practically the same.
>>
>>8634226
Graduate School, thinking Biochemistry and Cell Biology PhD. Just a year left on the BS, hoping to jump into the next step as soon as possible.

I got into this wanting to be like Aubrey de Grey. Would dig working on aging but more likely going to focus on Cancer. I figure I'm still contributing to the dream at any rate.
>>
>>8634347
I've heard of those guys. They're pretty swag.

Is it true the antifreeze proteins are coded from DNA derived from digestive enzymes that went through some rearrangements or whatever?
>>
File: 1447384639353.png (643KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1447384639353.png
643KB, 633x758px
>BA in history (plz no bully)
>sort of, I got a really good white collar office job just from having a degree but there is so much fucking reading/writing required for history classes and the reading is mostly boring academic stuff
>had I known my eventual employer only wanted any degree I would have gone with political science, I took a few upper level poli sci classes and they were a fucking cakewalk plus more interesting than most of my history classes

If I wasn't a total brainlet at math I would have majored in astronomy. I have an autistically obsessive interest in everything to do with space. Astronomer is the only job that would give me a sense of fulfillment and purpose but that's impossible when you can't do math, so instead I just feel myself to sleep every night over the fact that I can never do what I really want. Guess I won't treat math as a dump stat on my next reroll.
>>
>Computer Engineering

No, I am enjoying this major

If I had money, I'd do a history major desu

>Tfw waiting to hear back from professor about working in his lab
>>
>>8634993
what kind of job do you have where your employer actually gives no fucks what you majored in?
>>
>>8634979
Aubrey de Grey always seemed like a hack to me, but I too am interested in aging etc.
I'll be finishing my bsc in biochem this summer, and I can't decide whether to go directly for cell biology or something more bioinformatics related.

>>8631880
>your major
biochem
Not really. My only complaint is that it lacks math.
Either biochem again or physics, specifically biophysics.
>>
File: WomensGlassesdropdown.jpg (18KB, 379x156px) Image search: [Google]
WomensGlassesdropdown.jpg
18KB, 379x156px
ITT:Psycholigical effects of wearing glasses

does it worsen anxiety?

does vision indeed get poorer the more you wear your specs?

Im Myopic but wearing glasses all the time makes me mentally fatigued,depressed and anxious but I cant watch tv properlyor browse the internet or read books or see distant stuff without it?

Any Anons prescribed glasses but never wear them?
has vision improved?

also,glasses general
>>
>>8635002

Underwriter with a big health insurance company. They were hiring a dozen or so entry level underwriters a few months after I graduated and those positions were specifically for recent grads. There isn't really a college major relevant to what I do which is why they didn't care so long as I had a degree.

Cherry on top: I graduated with a sub-3.0 GPA, though my history-only GPA was 3.7. I just couldn't be fucked to put in much effort for most of my gen eds.
>>
Comp Eng

Yeah I should have went into math. I don't care about engineering, i just like math.

I'd probably end up doing something related to comp eng in masters' to get the sweet job security.
>>
>>8635008
Yeah, believe me, I don't take the guy too seriously. I just like the idea of doing crazy shit. I'm hoping to balance running wild and being generally helpful.

I can see the draw of bioinformatics, although I don't really know much beyond being able to run a tblastn on ncbi. I'm kind of intrigued by the thought of work relating to protein structure databases, have you given that any thought?
>>
Clinical biochem.
Will slave in a lab or work selling for pharma industry
Would rather do the first one, more time to lift and read.
>>
>CS
>Yes. I only enjoy low-level work.
>Probably should have studied Geology.
>>
>>8635031
>I just like the idea of doing crazy shit.
I like the idea of not dying. I'm already balding so I feel the spectre of aging hanging over me.
>have you given that any thought?
Not really. My reasoning for going into bioinformatics is that I would be able to contribute better to these biological problems if I knew more about data analysis than if I were a lab-rat. I've never been the fastest in the lab and it seems cell bio labs can be very taxing.
>>
>>8635054
go make cash shilling for big pharma, youll be jacking off on escort tits in penthouses all across our great land in no time
>>
>>8634943
>>8634934
>>8634938

ChemE isn't that bad, I don't know how it's perceived on here but I wouldn't call it a meme discipline. I graduated last year and had a few offers, keep in mind you aren't guaranteed to find a job just because you did engineering no matter the discipline. I know guys in every engineering field that struggled to find work.

I can answers questions if you have any, I work at a copper mine in the met/ore processing team
>>
Mechanical Engineering and Mathematics
No ragrets
Mechanical Engineering and Mathematics
>>
>>8635113
aren't you basically a CAD monkey though
>>
>>8635163
maybe if you did shitty in school
>>
>>8634788
Would math count as technical? I'm considering to switch to it from Economics. I do go to a top 25 target university
>>
>>8635405
no
>>
>>8634822
How much debt are you in from restarting 3 times and why did you change this many times?
>>
>>8635409
Yes it does, faggot. Math that is applied e.g. econometrics is technical.
>>
>>8631880
Picked computer science
>1st year was great. Almost only math. Real analysis, linear and abstract algebra, introduction to logic, discrete math etc.
>Only programminng courses are introduction to computer science (C) and programming language(java)
>Do so well that I got a schoolarship for the second year
>The second year comes
>The only math course is probability
>The rest is pure codemonkey stuff
>It was so bad I wanted to kill myself
>Dropped out and now I'm in medschool
>>
>>8634934
>>8634943
>>8635111

As a fellow graduate Chemical Engineer, I wholeheartedly agree with this. Apart from the ChemEng industries being in a decline, the fundamental problem with this degree is that you are usually hired as a process engineer (or similar) and since there are a few processes (usually only one) in a factory/company, they only need 1-2 grads. Not to mention that girls with subpar GPA tend to get the jobs in bigger companies with higher salaries.

However, the biggest problem with this degree is that you learn nothing which can be applied to your life or create new hobbies. I know guys with electrical and mechanical/mechatronics engineering degrees who have started making drones etc. as the fundamentals are taught in their degrees. I can't afford to buy a cooling tower or be bored enough to analyze the movement of smoke flow.

However, it is an interesting degree and if you do end up getting a good job, pay is high and it is easy to get into management.
>>
>>8634788
Now that is bullshit. There is a lack of people with mathematics degrees.
>>
>>8635494

I meant, I agree with this guy >>8634934
>>
>>8631880
medicine
yes
medicine, it's easy
>>
CS & math

Don't regret it given the circumstances (bad high school background, little connections to help with career, low social abilities)

If I have to start again as I was in college, I would pick the same thing again. If I could start at a younger age, I would invest more in social skills, some athletic hobby, and academics from a young age. If I did well enough to be admitted to a top university, I would have studied finance or economics instead. The only standout competition for majors at the time for me was accounting, which may have been interesting also.
>>
>>8631970
Undergrad stats is a mickey mouse degree. You'll need the courses the math majors are taking to do stats at the graduate level
>>
>Math PhD

>Yes and no. I like what I do and I'm reasonably good at it. But I always wonder what if I chose something else. At the least I regret not double majoring with biology and trying for a biomath program.

>Definitely, because I wouldn't want to go through the same thing twice. Top contenders would be Biology, Biological Anthropology, Nuclear Engineering, and English (drama concentration). My goal has always been to be a professor, not to work in any particular industry.
>>
>>8635494
>>8634934
Please tell me MechE isn't a meme
>>
>major
ChemE
>regret?
Some regrets, yeah
>what would you choose?
Next semester I'm switching to civil. I want to work on infrastructure, particularly road design or something like that. ChemE had some interesting courses but the potential jobs all look really dull. What the hell is a "process engineer"? It reminds me of the bullshit engineer titles everyone gets nowadays. A garbage man might as well be a process engineer since his job involves a rigorous adherence to a given process: descend from vehicle, grab garbage barrel, empty waste into vehicle, place barrel back onto sidewalks, climb onto vehicle, repeat. Civil looks like fun.
>>
>Electrical Engineering

>EE was my second choice, actually. I got denied for Chem Eng, but I think I enjoy EE more than I would have liked CHEN. So no regerts.

>Doubt I would choose anything else. Math or chemistry are my favorite subjects, but I felt like EE was the best choice for my job prospects. I want to be an entrepreneur as well, so maybe I would have opted for business given the choice.
>>
>>8635524
It really depends on what your goal is. If you like cars, join the racecar making club thing. Other than that, you are most likely to go towards design (CAD) or join a company/factory where you will be under a technical manager who will teach you how to maintain and operate certain types of machinery. Of course, the industry you do this is varied to hell so you can be doing this in the petroleum industry to working for Samsung.
However, I suggest cultivating hobbies related to your field rather than just rote learning for your exams, don't just sit there like a wanker with a first class honors at the end. It looks great in a CV and gets you off 4chan.

>>8635526
Any field that has a technical process is open to chemical engineers, it is really up to your application and grades on where you end up at.
Anyways, good luck standing on the roads wearing a highvis vest with sweaty smelly roadworkers anon.
>>
>>8635552
I wanna work in control systems or biomed, so I already know I'm going to go for grad school. I just think MechE is the best choice in regards to both, but I might switch into EE.
>>
>>8634173
How are you anywhere near close to a chem degree if you're just bitching about orgo (I'm assuming, I can't think of anything else you could be talking about but basic orgo). At my uni at least you can just take it sophomore year then only take classes on other shit if you want.
>>
>>8635111
Which country do you live in? I'm not american, but in my country I have a general feel that there's a few ChemE jobs at petrochemical and food industries, and most ChemE end up working in non-chemE fields.
>>
>>8635422
Not him, but education is free in some countries.
>>
>>8635494
>I can't afford to buy a cooling tower or be bored enough to analyze the movement of smoke flow.
Analyzing smoke flow actually sounds pretty cool.
>>
>Philosophy

No, I was able to read for four years straight and I had a nice time getting a 4.0 while doing something I loved. Then I got a master's in education from an Ivy League and at 34 I make 85k a year in a bullshit administrative position at a nice private high school where I'm at work 35 hours a week, with maybe like ten of which I'm actually doing anything resembling real work. I spend most of my time writing and shitposting here. I'm a lucky bastard and I acknowledge that.

>was this close to falling for the law meme and I'd probably be making 40k a year with 200k in debt working miserably 80+ hour weeks as a paralegal assistant if I did

wew lad
>>
>>8631880
Mechatronics Eng.

Yes, fuck this watered down engineering

EE
>>
>>8635677
I'd expect mecha eng. to be more sophisticated than general engineering.
>>
>>8631880
>Cyber Security
>No pretty comfy
>Aerospace Engineering, I'm just not good at math really, stopped after calc 3
>>
>>8631880
mechanical engy

a little bit bc i want to understand physics more than i do now

i don't know. what should i get a master's in, anons?
>>
>>8632128
What brochure did you copy this from?
>>
>>8635582
Not him, but here in Canada most ChemE jobs are in either consulting, oil or oil related support, or manufacturing. If you are worrying about jobs just remember that boomers are going to retire eventually.
>>
File: srep09111-f5.jpg (228KB, 926x929px) Image search: [Google]
srep09111-f5.jpg
228KB, 926x929px
>your major
chemistry

nah, but im still undergrad so there's no fire under my ass to make me regret anything too bad right now.

take some programming courses and maybe focus in physical chemistry. computation and programming seem to be highly valued skills so i wish someone made this clearer to me in the first half of undergrad.

self-studying is so fucking important. doing undergrad research is helpful too since you see firsthand how important writing, software, and all sorts of applied math is.
>>
>>8633305
You can actually be a great leader while being an introvert. Introverts are smarter, because they spend more time processing information, as opposed to extroverts, who are hanging out with people all the time.
>>
Started my first year in Aerospace engineering and philosophy but switched to EE/math after quitting school and working for 3 years.

I enjoy it a lot. It's time consuming and I wish I had more flexibility to pursue my other interests in agriculture and philosophy, but regardless I'm having fun. I'm especially enjoying my physics classes. Wish I could find time for more formal logic stuff as well.

Probably EE/math still. It leaves me broad enough to go into the industries I'm interested in, and gives at least a cursory introduction to most of the topics I might pursue in grad school. Honestly just wish I could be outside more.
>>
A) Raw Chem

B) fuck no dog

C) fuck off, dog
>>
>>8635585
>>8635422
this. the first i did for 6 months and i had a great discount but i couldn't stand it anymore. the second same thing, was 6 months in, great discount but then I decided to try to ingress in the state college, which is free and pretty hard to get in so it has a weight in a CV. If i didn't manage to pass the test for the state college i would be doing the 'second try', but a grad i like more, for free, and with more name >>

tl;dr no debts at all, studying for free now
>>
>>8635081
Yeah, labs do seem like kind of a drag, although I was pretty set on that path anyhow. I feel like it's useful stuff to know. But, yeah, maybe bioinformatics would be the smarter approach? I'm still in a position where I feel like I just need to do a little more of everything before I can be totally sure, though. If you end up going that way, I hope it works out for you.
>>
>>8631880
Cell and molecular biology

No regrets, there's a lot of great aspects from chemistry, biochemistry, physics, and biology that mesh together in CMB. I love working in the lab more than anything.

I like my major, but biophysics seems pretty interesting too.
>>
>>8631880
Neurobiology, physiology, and behavior
Dont regret it
If i had to choose another, biosci with emphasis on utility of AI in Medicine
>>
Environmental Science B.S., Practical Ethics Minor, Applied Plant Sciences - Horticulture Track M.S., Practical Nursing Diploma, Carpentry Diploma, Wine Professional Certification

No regrets for any of them.

If I had to choose something else, probably would've gone with anthropology and archaeology. I like anything involved in the outdoors.
>>
>>8634934
Man, I really fucked up that post

I meant Bioengineering had way more growth

ChemEng is shit right now and Petroleum is a meme
>>
>>8636017
What do you do?
>>
>>8636034
Mostly research in breeding grapes
>>
>chemistry grad student

I don't regret going to grad school, because graduate level chemistry is WAAAAAY cooler than any of the stupid shit you do in undergrad, but if we're being honest if I thought I could make good money with a bachelors in chem I probably wouldn't be here. It kinda sucks having to work your ass off, be constantly stressed, and be paid little while all your friends move on with their lives.

I'd choose either chemical engineering/materials engineering, CS or computer engineering, and maybe finance/economics in order of priority.

I'm basically a materials engineer now anyway without the title, so that's pretty much my motivation.
>>
Molecular biology with a minor in bioinformatics
Not at all, I find research fascinating and I'm really happy with it.
>>
File: 1485535610248.jpg (16KB, 319x319px) Image search: [Google]
1485535610248.jpg
16KB, 319x319px
>>8631880
>physics
>yes
>chem engi
>>
>major
Industrial Chemistry
>Ragrets
Nope, none. I really enjoy chemistry, and I really like my uni. It really sucks that the cuck government of PR is thinking of closing down my campus because they'd rather shove money up their asses than to pay for education. Might have to rush through my classes, potentially damaging my GPA, so I can graduate early and not lose my degree.
>If I could start over again
Despite what I've said I wouldn't change a thing. like I said, I really enjoy chemistry and I really like my uni.
>>
>>8631880
organic chem

the only regret is a minuscule pay

I used to have some passion towards 3d graphics, so I would have started that instead of science
>>
>>8636097
>Chem Engi
Lmao

Read this
>>8634934
>>
>>8636142
so what? I'm also unemployed and didn't even learn anything useful at university
>>
I'm interested in going into bioinformatics, I am currently in a cell/molecular biology major. Any advice/info on the job prospects?
>>
Do you guys think the ChemE market is better for masters and doctors?
>>
>>8631880
>your major
CS

Kinda: I don't really enjoy the programming and software "engineering" parts but the theoretical concepts like algortihsm, theoretical CS, numerics and optimization

Mathematics with physics minor and some CS courses for interest - probably will do a Math Bachelor anyway if I find a part time job after graduation.
>>
Molecular biology

Not with the degree itself, but kind of confused/split between what to do after graduation. Lab slaving sucks, post-graduate study is still slave work but could be tolerable if I'm accepted in an interesting program. I'll probably have to focus on bioinformatics and programming to compensate and to have any hope of avoiding suicide-inducing lab work in industry.

Probably EE as I always had an interest plus engineering degrees unfortunately are the best at versatility and jobs.
Or I could've gone all-out with Philosophy and pursue an academic position there. I guess I'll never know.
>>
>>8636181
Bioinformatics is a pretty good field right now, most institutions have so much information from experiments that they do but not many people who know how to sift through it all. Regular programmers aren't much help because they don't have a science background to understand what the field needs so its really helpful having someone who can do both. If someone could do both the lab work and computations then that would be amazing, I know a few people who are getting degrees like cell and molecular biology degrees with bioinformatics minors for this very reason.
>>
>industrial engineering
Don't really regret it. Have already switched from Psichology.
Sometimes I think of switching again to Mathematics though. But I don't think that would be a good idea, since I want to be an entrepeneur.
>>
CS

I regret it alot, luckily I'm in my sophomore year so I will be switching majors next semester. I only did CS because I didn't know what to do and was being pressured to go to college.

I'll be switching to Geo.
>>
>>8631880
Optics and photonics
Lasers seem fun
I sometimes think about what it would be like to go medical since that stuff always interested me, but I'm reminded of how boring biology was.
>>
>>8636183
Its shit no matter what unless you want to move to Texas
>>
File: mfw.png (70KB, 185x195px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.png
70KB, 185x195px
>>8636238
>Psichology.
>>
File: Lao Zi in harmony with nature.jpg (115KB, 680x1173px) Image search: [Google]
Lao Zi in harmony with nature.jpg
115KB, 680x1173px
Chinese language and literature.

Nop, not even a little.

Chinese language and literature. It's the best.
>>
>>8636607
你好。我喜欢学中文。
>>
>>8636607
Do you have a job though
>>
>>8636636
>no response

what do you think anon
>>
>major
ChemE
Unsure, I do like chemistry, but part of me feels that I only went with it because I didn't believe I could do physics
Probably physics.
>>
>>8631880
>Economics

>Yes, I regret

> Graduate... Horrible major because at the bachelor's level it is not respected... But at master's level it is valuable. No practical skills that employers want. Should have done Accounting which is employable from the start.

Don't major in something where you need a masters or more to get a job. Do something that gives you immediate skills that will allow you to get a paying job.
>>
>>8631880
Medicine.

Regret it because I did it for lack of ideas, and because it's an overachiever life choice that is barely optimal for a person that lacks ambition and hunger for good boy points.

I don't know, my parents are doctors, I don't know anything else. What I would do is take one year off at 18 to travel, and if I don't feel a strong vocation for anything start a job where you get paid as you are trained (e.g. some kind of public servant), move out, start "adult life", and after four years in my country I get the opportunity for the state to pay for my studies, until then I will be more mature and have a better idea of what I want to study.
>>
>>8631880
>Biology
Yes, because the level of difficulty did not increase at all from bachelors to masters (which I did not know until i actually got my masters). The research being done at my university is so fucking unispiring.

Now I've just started mechanical engineering which will culminate in a masters in Aerospace engineering. Fuck this gay earth, I'm going to Mars
>>
>>8636017
That's a lot of fancy words for "agriculture"
>>
>your major
BSc in Biology
MA in Biochemistry (first of my year, highest honors)
Currently doing a PhD in Biochemistry/Microbiology

Yes, it's boring. The golden age of molecular biology & biochemistry is gone. Now, you can just buy premade experiments in "kits", mix 3 products together, gather data and publish them. If your data don't fit your model, just fake it and publish it anyways, nobody will ever care about your shitty articles. Also, there are too many people running in this master who can't do basic algebra without a calculator and still manage to pass with mediocre grades.

Something that gives me free time, like plumber or electrician.
>>
>>8631880
Electrical engineering

Not at all. I was sure I wanted to study either this or CS when I was 14, and decided on EE for sure 2 years later.

Same thing. It might be hard, but I love it.
>>
>>8635842
Bureau of labor statistics
>>
>>8637477
>I didn't believe I could do physics
This why highschoolers shouldn't lurk here. You don't have to be smart to study physics. In fact, most physics students here aren't.
>>
>>8637560
This. Hell, I'm an engineering major, and I can ace a physics class.
>>
>>8635552
Not him but I'm gonna start mechE
According to other people here I should do mech first since I'm interested in aero because I can work in this industry with a mech degree- and I might get a master's in it later
Any general advice for me?
>>
>>8632392
Auckland?
>>
File: 1482344037691.jpg (59KB, 500x539px) Image search: [Google]
1482344037691.jpg
59KB, 500x539px
>>8637521
>there are too many people running in this master who can't do basic algebra without a calculator and still manage to pass with mediocre grades

MSc Microbiology. We have 35 women and 5 men in our class. Most of the women can't do basic algebra or bioinformatics work and yet they have the highest grades in the class.
They're in for a rude awakening when they realize employers aren't looking for memorization skills or basic lab work skills (which lab technicians with BScs do anyway).

Hate the memorization of a fuckton of "facts" in this field and endless study of 60 year old lab techniques but the things tought in classes such as epidemiology, molecular evolution, genomics and proteomics (fields heavy with bioinformatics and computational biology) etc. still give me hope.
>>
>>8631880
mechanical engineering

only a little

electrical engineering
>>
>>8631880
Materials Science and Engineering

The only thing I regret is picking it as my BSc. The content in the MSc is basically the same, only more in-depth, so I should have gone into physics or chemistry to get a more generalist background for more career options.
>>
>>8637673
Hm, or maybe EEng as my BSc before starting my MatSci MSc. Signals and circuits are a large part of my current work, and I had to read up a shitton and still am lacking a lot of knowledge.
>>
File: 1485648540687.png (831KB, 1280x1381px) Image search: [Google]
1485648540687.png
831KB, 1280x1381px
>tfw in first year as ChemE
>mfw reading this thread
should I go EE or MechE, I'm too retarded to make a decision myself.
>>
Thanks for the reply, I'll be choosing some introductionary Bioinformatics courses next months.
>>
>>8632103
The only thing you seem to like about your school is that you don't get homework. Are you some kind of 13-year old?
>>
>>8637626
>aero
H-help plz
>>
>>8637684
I would pick EE, but MechE is more similar to ChemE (you'll study some thermodynamics and transport phenomena in both).
>>
> Aerospace Engineering
>Yes and no.
It was extremely time consuming, incredibly difficult, but the payoff was worth it. I do regret missing out on all the parties and sloot plowing because I was stuck in the lab.
>Electrical Engineering.
I want to work on deep space propulsion stuff, and most of those guys have EE background.
>>
>>8634808
UCI is a safety school
>>
>>8631880
B.Sc in telecommunication engineering

I regret it, i cant find a good job here in my country, it really sucks, the worst part is that being this autistic, i cant make contacts. Im going to die
>>
i've just finished college and want to do compsci in uni.

How much maths is involved? I'm a complete fucking brainlet and know gcse-tier maths, heck, i'd probably fail gcse maths if I were to do it today, kek.

Anyway, i'm a good programmer; Python, C# from Unity3d, but a complete brainlet at maths.

Would I be able to keep up?
>>
Environmental Science

Not really but I probably would do Forestry if I could do it again
>>
>>8637877
Right, I want to go into nano or biomed for grad school, and I realize all three of them are suitable degrees, I just don't want to do fucking material balances all days and optimizing condensers.
>>
>>8631880
>Engineering - Computer Science currently, hoping to switch to Materials because there are more physics there.

>few regrets, but not much

>would do a preparatory class, would try to get a good uni instead of an engineering school, then either double major math/physics or double major math/philosophy.
>>
>>8631880
I regretted getting into maths because it was eitehr filled with sperglords who couldn't into verbal communication, or incels who wouldn't stop splurging over Harry Potter and Ass Creed

I am now happy in Math/Econ double major, with the cool negros from France
>>
>>8636601
He made a typo OMFG so funy rite guyz XD
>>
>>8632096
Typically, geophysicists are pseudo-nuclear physicists that use gamma detectors to find oil
>>
>Physics BSc, currently doing NE master's

I had no idea what I wanted to do when I started college so I spent 2 years doing an associates in Nuclear Operations before deciding on Physics (only took 3 more years). I think I pissed off some of my physics professors and they didn't want me in the graduate program so I switched to NE. I like it a lot but I still don't really know what I want to do with my life. I want to get a PhD but I'm not sure what in- nuclear physics, NE, or maybe go into nuclear medicine.

>Double Major in NE and Physics from the start and be done in the same amount of time. Also move onto campus sooner because I thought I was an introvert until I actually went to college after 6 years of homeschooling.
>>
>>8637560
What reason why high schoolers shouldn't lurk here?

I'm considering changing to math but I also don't believe I'm smart enough compared to others. Advice?
>>
>>8637483
Would you recommend a student studying econ, who is in there first year, to change undergrad to mathematics? (In terms of jobs)
>>
B.S. in liberal arts.
Was in the military at the time
had no other choice really, had to do my courses online while going back and forth to Iraq every other year.
Taught myself bachelor degree + level of pure maths since then. Feelsgoodman. I have friends who have maths degrees and they cannot keep up with my level of knowledge.
autodidactic AF.
>>
>>8638128
Take an analysis class. You'll know if you want to continue or not afterwards. I learned quickly that I wasn't interested in that shit and just took a math minor rather than double majoring.
>>
>>8638175
This is good advice, thankyou.

But how do I get into a class where it's no longer being taught as we're in 2nd semester. Do I just go to the next availed calc analysis class, I don't think I would understand anything if I did this.
>>
>>8637641
Then move to proteomics if you can do math, big boy.
>>
>>8635650
Interesting. I'm wondering: how'd you argue your case to the school? Were they impressed enough with the credentials and grade? Or was Ivy League education what put you at the top?
>>
Math major

Sort of regret having chosen Chemistry then switching to Math. Not that I liked chemistry any more, if anything I prefer math.

Honestly think college was/is not for me, but it was pushed my whole life on me, everyone expects it especially since everything before coming to college was super easy for me, even if I barely spent time on it. Now I'm doing stuff I'm only mildly interested in and thus have no reason to WANT to study for any of my courses. One semester until I graduate though, so I have a little more motivation to just push through it now.

Still wish I was as interested/smart/motivated as some of the people here who find their studies as their hobby, meanwhile I find it all a chore and waste all my time on 4chan instead
>>
>>8638128
Because they see math/physics sperglords calling everyone brainlets, and start thinking they aren't smart enough. You would have to be really dumb to not be able to study physics or math. Any average people can do that if they put effort in it.
>>
>>8638251
dw bae, studying is a chore for everyone

gambatte!
>>
I'm interested in aerospace- want to contribute to space travel but getting a niche degree without much job openings is bad for job prospects
What should I do?
>>
>>8638334
Do mechE. Specialize in aerospace afterwards if you want.
>>
>>8638218
But I will
>>
>>8634434

Not op
I read the wiki on them. Turns out the fish live very isolated environments with almost no evolutionary pressure.

That means they got this trait (they also don't have hemoglobin) and there was nothing selecting against that trait, so it just kept propagating. Pretty wild.
>>
>>8634856

Are you daft? UCLA and Berkeley are often called "The Public Ivies"

If you're doing STEM at Berkeley, you've made it
>>
>>8638385
Good! I worked there for a bit, it's a lot of boredom most of the time but you can never realistically lose your job.
>>
>>8631880
>CS
>Just a little, I got a good job that I enjoy so it's hard to complain
>If I could do it again I would probably choose bioinformatics with a heavy focus on stats/programming. I think the genetics field is going to do really cool shit soon and I'd like to be apart of it.
>>
Poorfag Commiefornian, where should I transfer after CC for CE?
>>
>>8638607
Mexico
>>
I regret my choice of major so much that I immediately felt anxious seeing this thread.
>>
im doing an msc in power engineering

i feel like i'm a complete retard and i wish i decided to become an english teacher or something "simple" but that's only because there's a fire under my ass right now and i love to whine like a little bitch when the going gets tough.
>>
>>8638588
not american, but that is exactly what I am doing right now

I was a full biochemistry/molecular biology student before that, and I can tell you with close to 100% certainty that biostatisticians and programmers with some knowledge of biology are dozens of times more valuable in a lab than pure biologists.

I did an internship last year with a high-ranking, head-of-deparment teacher who had little to no idea how stats worked, how to use a p-value, or when to ignore it, which of course I didn't know at the time.

I have no regrets about my field of study, I just regret being a low-intelligence ADHD-ridden fuckwit who will fail his semester and his year.
>>
I am currently a first year undergrad student in Electrical Engineering. I do not like it and regret choosing it. So I am going to quit next week and take this year off. I am thinking of studying Computer Science and Engineering later this year.
>>
>>8638334
You have a few options:

>Aerospace Engineering
>Electrical Engineering
>Mechanical Engineering
>Computer Engineering
>Computer Science
>Computer Science and Engineering

All space crafts have electronics aboard. Mechanical Engineering is basically Aerospace Engineering but not nessecerilly focused on aerospace.

The space crafts have tons of lines of code. Many crafts also have tons of AI instead of people behind the wheel.

Hope this helps.
>>
>these fucking threads
I swear I need to stop coming to this board
each time I get so demotivated when I hear bad shit about what I want to do
I just want to earn a minimum of £30k working in bsl 2-4 labs, why must you shit talk my interest in microbiology ;_;
>>
>>8632104
mba is a masters you fuckwit. unless you got a masters in CS, then you are seriously fucking retarded.
>>
>>8638800
>Human 1:"What do you study, Anon?"
>You: microbio-
>Human 1: Exits*

Kek
>>
>>8632375
damn bro. shouldve taken the masters then gotten the fuck out.
>>
File: 1467679758572.gif (2MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1467679758572.gif
2MB, 250x250px
>>8635524
MechE is not a meme. It is the jack of all trades my man. My classmates who said fuck off to engineering and wanted bank work in Manhattan. For me, I went to a great state school and have a decent, 40 and out job with great job security and my company is paying for my masters. I graduated with a ~2.8 but my school is known for being tough.

its all about taking out what you put in. i did put in a ton of work to get where i am.
>>
>>8638990
What do you do for your work right now, and what are you doing for your masters? Would a MechE degree let me get into robotics, nano or BME for a graduate program?
>>
File: obligatory.png (315KB, 1569x138px) Image search: [Google]
obligatory.png
315KB, 1569x138px
posting obligatory tier list
>>
>>8638998
>tfw both chemE and EE have 0% job growth over the next decade
>>
>>8638999
then do CS and Statistics and be forever extremely useful to any company on the planet
>>
>>8638995
>What do you do for your work right now, and what are you doing for your masters?

pic related. Masters is also in MechE with a specialty in Acoustics (I did this for my undergrad as well albeit at a different school)

>Would a MechE degree let me get into robotics, nano or BME for a graduate program?

Absolutely but, whatever you want to do, gear your electives and build a network towards it. I've always loved sound and vibration (used to play guitar and shit as a kid) and I hated the car-loving meme that 99% of my class was. So, I geared all my electives to vibrations and acoustics. For the job fair, I looked up companies that were there and if they had jobs in what I wanted to do. I logged over 120 hours before that job fair. I filtered out all 141, went to 21 booths, got 7 interviews, and 3 job offers. You just gotta do you. I'd say whatever you do, get close with a prof, especially if you wanna do grad school. I thought my undergrad gpa meant no grad school for me but two profs I knew wrote me really great letters. one prof does acoustics research but the one I was closer to worked with energy harvesting. dude barely spoke good english but i worked hard for him and he knew i'd be applying for grad school with a gpa disadvantage and he pulled through for me.
>>
>>8631880
>your major
BS Pure math (completed)

I wish I doubled majored in CS. I find theoretical CS vastly more interesting than the standard topics taught in pure math.

CS + Math. I enjoy programming and the complete rigor math provides. The two combined are powerful.
>>
>>8639018
How did you manage to get research positions in undergrad with a mediocre gpa? Also, how's the overall job market for MechE right now?
>>
File: 1475439764142.jpg (88KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1475439764142.jpg
88KB, 500x500px
>>8639028
>How did you manage to get research positions in undergrad with a mediocre gpa?

be persistent. i realized I was fucked when my friends were getting internships and I couldn't. I asked my adviser which faculty were looking for undergrad researchers. I went to 12 faculty and only got one offer. It's analogous to the job market in that, it becomes a game of statistics so do what you can to increase your odds but dont let rejection discourage you. You can see from my post here >>8639018 that I only had a 14% success rate at the career fair I went to. So, do your homework before you talk to profs, and keep plugging.

>Also, how's the overall job market for MechE right now?

It all depends on what you're doing/trying to do. My industry = job security. Defense is usually pretty safe if the company you work for has a good reputation of always getting contracts. Oil and Gas... hit or miss. My classmates worked for Exxon making six figs out of the gate but one got laid off and the other went to Duke Fuqua on their dime. Competition with them is keen too. Biomedical I have no idea. Automotive seems to be decent from what my classmates tell me and it's not as dreadful as it was initially perceived. HVAC is always going to be needed but you'll need your PE and the work is bottom of the pile and requires little brain power (at least in my opinion). It all depends on your field, which is the beauty of MechE being the jack of all trades. Even in my case, I've known MechE trained Acousticians go onto graduate school in EE since Acoustics is kind of like the black magic of engineering mechanics. My opinion is, that kids who major is specialties like biomed, aerospace, mining, etc. engineering are only doing themselves a disservice if their plans don't work out. If you love it so much that you want to specialize in it, then go to grad school for it since that is what it is for - specializing.
>>
>>8639046
>. Even in my case, I've known MechE trained Acousticians go onto graduate school in EE since Acoustics is kind of like the black magic of engineering mechanics.
From your experience is it possible to work as an interdisciplinary engineer (MechE+EE) for example if you have a masters or PhD, and how is the difficult is it typically for someone in MechE to take a masters program in EE since they won't be as well versed in that discipline?
>>
>>8639133
depends on the field. the meche to ee transition is possible if you have a background in signal processing. So, as an acoustics guy (or someone like me who had an interest in audio software) I could grasp onto concepts easy and the two pair well together. A lot of respectable MechE programs make you take EE courses (mine made me take two minimum) so the basics are covered enough to get into grad school provided your industry experience is good enough. I have also known meche --> EE types in nuclear and power fields. At the heart of it, everything in heat transfer, acoustics, electronic signal processing, etc. can be described by waves. If you get comfortable with waves (i.e. get good at complex math), you can move on and understand things outside of your discipline. I think the hardest thing to conceptualize, from an acoustics standpoint, is that vector fields can now be polarized but i digress. I'm sure it is not a cakewalk to go from meche to EE but it is certainly doable given your aptitude, effort, etc. The world is your oyster man (I know thats contrary to a lot of the things on here), I would just say as my own personal opinion, stick either to MechE or EE. Don't specialize at the undergrad level unless you know the field you want to get into. If you're interested in aerospace, etc. see if you can minor in it or something but the baseline MechE or EE degree will enable you to float around wherever you can put the basics to work.
>>
Communications.

I sort of regret it. I should've gotten a business degree.
>>
Aerospace

It's alright so far, but I'm a freshman so my opinion doesn't matter

Probably should've started as MechE but fuck it
>>
>>8631880
>Geology and Geophysics

I don't really regret picking this. I came in as a freshman in Applied Mathematics but quickly transfered out because of the spergs and bullshit non math related classes.

Now I'm doing undergrad research, going to the Bahamas this summer for a class, and am getting paid by the deparment to catalog rocks and sort them. Can't wait to go to grad school, hell might end up teaching eventually.

The best thing about Geology is the chill ass professors and classmates. Alcohol is a cultural thing in geology, and most of my classmates are Chad and Stacys. Lots of girls in this field too, so that's a plus. Occasionally you'll see a fat sperg, but they're more than likely a geophysics fag who doesn't go outside ever. Every day I find something in the lab or mineral museum that will make me say "well that's fucking cool"

I wouldn't change anything if I had to start again, but if I HAD to I'd choose Ceramic Engineering, they have really cool toys on campus.
>>
>>8631880
>Computer Science
>Not really
>Statistics
>>
>>8631880
>biology/premed
>yes. I am glad for all of the knowledge I have gained, however I do not want to continue studying science I have lost interest in it.

>economics, because it is more practical and more interesting to me. I am actually self-teaching myself economics now since I had not chosen it as my major and do not plan on attending more school for it.
>>
>>8638794
Thanks man. I'm interested in propulsion right now and also design
>>8638368
Thanks
>>
>>8635464
>The rest is pure codemonkey stuff

And you dropped out?
>>
mechatronics engineering

I don't regret a thing, I guess some people call it watered down but I enjoy the big picture of engineering more than the specifics anyway so im good.
>>
>>8638128
I thought I was too dumb for that and went into engineering instead. I ended up in math anyway and it was the single best decision of my life.
>>
>>8631970

aye uci here. informatics is the way to go
>>
>physics and optics
>now a laser researcher for the military
I like the job but everything is done indoors and often in the dark and in clean rooma. I do like that I get to use hand tools and do a wide variety of tasks from plumbing to Matlab simulations.

>If I could do it again
I'd probably do the same, but I would consider horticulture. I like being outdoors in the dirt and I like plants. I'd give up my 6 figure salary to be in the sun and working with dirt in a semi scientific capacity. Although perhaps I'd just end up indoors again
>>
How viable is a physics degree? 19 year old but don't know if can commit to a phd
>>
>>8637956
You just have to work anon, most of the mathematics in CS are not very hard though.

Unless you pursue a graduate degree, then you will need a fuckload of math.
>>
computer engineering
Not really, although my original love will always be software oriented stuff, I got interested in tech from /g/ and /dpt/.
If I had to choose something else it would probably be math, even though I wouldn't get a job, I have a good annual scholarship so it would just be for fun. Maybe Comp sci, but there are too many code monkeys out there.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170128-134107.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170128-134107.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
>got into chemE in Honduras in hopes finding job opportunities outside of this shithole of a country.
>now on my third year

Reading this thread makes me want to kill myself a little bit more than usual.
>>
>>8640255
>do math
>wouldn't get a job

What do you mean by this?
>>
>>8639002
Statistics is such a fuckin bore.
>>
>>8640230
Example of the maths?
Is there any calculus and shit involved, because if there is, i'm literally fucked. My brain can't handle complex maths, heck, I can't even comprehend sentences like " It wouldn't be inaccurate to assume that I couldn't exactly not say that it is or isn't almost partially incorrect"... my brain just fucking melts.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
>>
>>8640801
For most CS degrees you have to take Calc I, II, Linear Algebra, and Analysis of Algorithms (which can be quite mathy)

Calc II is probably the hardest of these. Linear algebra is difficult but not terrible.

Feel free to look up this stuff on khan academy to get a feel for what you have to do. You'll get through it, many others have done so before you.
>>
>>8639194
Thanks for the replies, I submitted my transfer application to an elite university(in my country) from the mediocre one I'm at right now for MechE, and EE. I hope I get into one of them.
>>
Anyone here regret going to graduate school in Materials Science and Engineering?

I was accepted to a super competitive MSE PhD program, but I'm a moron, so idk if it's right for me.
>>
>>8640927
Bruh, like. I don't.

I'm a Biochem undergrad, realized I fucking hate biology and everything about it, and started taking some MatSci courses that my uni offered because they want their Materials master's program to take off. Fucking love it so far.
>>
>>8633935
Gen physo was such a fucking waste of time. Biology (the major) is terrible and is ruining my life.
>>
>>8641053
does microbiology consist of lots of factoids too or do you not know for sure?
>>
>your major
Upright bass performance

Yes. I went through college on scholarships so I have basically no student debt and I've been making pretty good money recently but it all feels kinda wrong. I hate pretty much all of my colleagues and my view on the arts has steadily declined since I got to college.

Not 100% sure, possibly economic theory or political science.
During the two or so years I had to choose a major, I was not of sound mind
>>
>>8640801
CS is not for you friendo. You need a shitton of math
>>
>>8635510
age?
>>
>>8633081
What the hell is this madness?

t. mathlet
>>
>>8637521
you shoulda went to med school
>>
>>8635650
fucking wew lad
>>
>>8631880
BS chemistry, changed to EE, best choice I ever made.
>>
BSc in Plant Science

No I love plants lmao, might have done marine biology for all the protists though that shit cash as well

Haha no I'm doing my botany masters and all I do is play with plants its 10/10. I also grow large amounts of marijuana and sell it so it's paying itself off.
>>
>>8631880
Geology and chemistry

regret going to uni as i cant find a job despite there being many out there. ive been calling and emailing companies for months and cant even get an interview (cv etc has all been checked over by uni).

if i could start again id become a builder. Here in nz they get paid just as much as graduates with potential to make more if you're smart. Fuck uni man, such a waste of money and time.
>>
>>8641865
I'll buy your life off you that sounds like heaven
>>
>>8635009
Either get some therapy for those image issues, or get some damned contacts anon.
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.