[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /sci/ I want to supplement my income with mushroom cultivation.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

Hey /sci/ I want to supplement my income with mushroom cultivation. I've read Paul Stamets third edition of "cultivating gourmet ans medicinal mushrooms" but its lacking in detailed diagrams for the advanced production mechanisms. Where can I find detailed diagrams?
>>
File: 1485408163530359872117.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1485408163530359872117.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Look for a book called "Radical Mycology " it came out last year and has so much more useful information about everything and a better read than Stamets. It's $50 bones for 1000 pages of pure updated information over methodology, mycology, and so much more. I'm pretty sure that it has various methods of cultivation too.

Also /sci/ tends to be a more math and engineering focused board, you'll find better bio related info, especially in terms of cultivation, on /out/.

Here's a taste of what the book has btw, also feel free to ask any questions I manged a mycology lab/project for a while when I was an undergrad.
>>
File: 1485408499937-1119258873.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1485408499937-1119258873.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>8630043

BTW op what exactly are you talking about when you mean production. Like large industrial scale stuff or just enough to supply any mushroom needs?

I apologize for the earlier photo's orientation it's my Friday today so I'm out of it.
>>
>>8630105
>Just enough to supply any mushroom needs

is accurate

Its not like I'm looking to become an industry giant but my region is deficient of cultivators and I plan on a number of DIY projects this summer aimed at creating supporting infrastructure for enough produce to give me a little boost for other project. Problem is, I didn't have any resources that accurately showed me what I needed until your suggestion.

Will give it a look, thanks.
>>
>>8630116
If I recall there are some good blurbs about upscaleing in that book. Let me see if I can find them.

What's your level of knowledge over cultivation?
>>
>>8630124
Just over a month's worth of research on shroomery.com and Stamets book. Becoming book learned, but still a green as a sap.
>>
File: 14854098864681349057087.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
14854098864681349057087.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>8630128
Shroomery.com is a pretty great source for troubleshooting stuff and /out/ on occasion can help with stuff as well. I would recommend before you do any upscaleing give a try at growing a few bags of your favorite edibles, any kind of oyster mushroom is a great place to start. This will give you a sense of the whole process from the importance of liquid culture to how to start fruiting. Also I'd recommend you go down to your favorite torrent site and look up "Let's grow Mushrooms". It's a series of good, but cheesy, videos which are perfect for leaning the ropes of cultivation.

But yeah I recommend trying to fruit a bag that way you have an idea for the whole process then you can invest some money into upscaling. The book has some good guides to building useful tools for upscaling as well as alternatives for whatever you want.

Also if you can afford it buy that book or request it at a library it is the most comprehensive and robust book I've ever seen and although I respect Stamets I feel he's stagnated a bit.
>>
>>8630141
Yeah, I figured I'd have to start small just to work out the basic steps. It doesn't seem like a particularly hard or technical process, just lots of very specific steps that require meticulous attention to avoid massive failures. I will for sure pick up that book when I can, though.

Based on what I've seen Oyster mushrooms seem like a popular mushroom for cash crop cultivation, but besides Shiitake and Button are there any other species that make good cash crops?
>>
>>8630147
You will never effectively grow morels or truffles, trust me you can look into finding effective ways of growing them but save youself the time especially if you're doing it for money.

Mostly look at oysters, shiitake, button, and reshi which is suppose to be a super food with alot of health benefits. Ironically enough I don't like eating mushrooms much but try to find your local farmers market and see what they sell. Usually they are only selling what provides profit. This is all assuming you're in America where mushrooms in our culinary taste is still very simple. I know many other nations have different tastes for mushrooms.
>>
>>8630151
Damn, I was really interested in morel cultivation. Reshi was another one on my radar. I've got a few other Japanese species in mind as well. I am in America, but lucky for me my region is very open to east and south asian cuisine. Anyway, thanks for the info friend.
>>
>>8630153
Like I said you can certainly do morels just don't expect too much of a cultivation consistency. Probably more for your own use honestly.

But of course man, glad I could help. Like I said sadly there are not as many bio study people around this board, at least not ones who post but /out/ usually can help you. Shroomery.com is a great place for any other questions. I'd also recommend looking to see if there are any local clubs/groups or even classes at the colleges there are usually people who are more than happy to show you the ropes. Honestly the whole field of mycology has some pretty interesting characters but friendly, alot of those Agricultural majors then to be fun to hang out with.

But best of luck on your harvest man.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.