[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you guys overcome foreign professors? I'm taking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: linearalgebra5.jpg (223KB, 800x1045px) Image search: [Google]
linearalgebra5.jpg
223KB, 800x1045px
How do you guys overcome foreign professors?
I'm taking Linear Algebra right now and my very Chinese prof has a thick accent as he mumbles through a lecture. This isn't some "git gud" faggot stuff. I've had Indian, Chinese, and Vietnamese profs that all had accents, but this is the first time ever that I am incapable of comprehending what he is saying while writing things down. I can either listen and closely think about what he is saying, or I can write what he is writing, but I cannot do both.
Fortunately the text book is Strang's Introduction, so at least I can use MIT's OpenCourseWare to supplement the lectures.

Anyone have tips how to survives a lecturer like this?
>>
>>8628636
Ask questions. Get used to it. Soon or later, in your later education or work, there will be a time where you just need study a topic yourself without a lecturer. Learn how to self-study now. You got the text, there are video lectures, your class has TAs. Make use of them. Don't make excuses. The whole class has the same problem.
>>
>>8628640
I've never interacted with a TA before. Generally speaking what do I get help on from them. I don't want to go to one and have them get pissed off because I should have gone to a tutor instead or something.
>>
>>8628642
It's their fucking job. Try to do your homework. Fail. Describe to TA where you fail. It's simple. Use your brain.
>>
>>8628636
Sometimes you will have situations in your career that someone has a mother-tongue that isn't English. I suggest studying like normal (you are reading the textbook before going to lecture, right?) and just asking questions when possible. Ask your TA for clarification on concepts and for homework help, they are just normal graduate students. If all else fails, ask another professor in the department
>>
>>8628642
lmao you're literally paying thousands for them to help you and you're too afraid of making your money count
>>
>>8628688
maybe hes not ion murrica where you pay them so much
>>
>>8628704
I am. I've just been on cruise control for 1.5 years, and now school is starting to get harder. Or maybe I'm just dumb because I'm conceptually having a harder time in the first 3 weeks of LinAl than I did in the entirety of Calc I & II, and Prob Stat.
>>
>>8628712
Work in R2x2 space until you get it down. Its all lines and planes my man
>>
>>8628636
If the professor's accent is an obstacle for your math classes then you are a brainlet.
>>
>>8628636
I had a chinese (abstract) algebra teacher, his accent was so funny kek
Just study from the book and follow his lessons
>>
>>8628858
I had a chinese prof for linear algebra and I loved her accent by the end of the semester

The way they say paw-tive is cute as hell

>>8628636
You get used to decoding it eventually OP. Give it another week or two. Also linear algebra 1 is not very hard so in the worst case just read the book yourself.
>>
>>8628636

Read the book before class and know 90% of it before going to lecture
Visit other professors and ask them your questions
Make friends with classmate and study group
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.