[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any truly intellectually challenging jobs? Don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: office.jpg (26KB, 492x342px) Image search: [Google]
office.jpg
26KB, 492x342px
Are there any truly intellectually challenging jobs? Don't most jobs just end up being mostly about grinding out tedious work, with only occasional and brief periods of challenge?
>>
>>8628276
If you do well as a lawyer there are quite challenging cases that come up every now and then. It might not be a scientific job but its quite challenging intellectually.

As for any science jobs and I have no idea and I'd like to know.
>>
>>8628276
I just realized that some mod might want to ban me for this. My implication is that science work, despite being known as "intellectually challenging", is probably just as boring as every other job, realistically. I understand if you still have to ban me, though.
>>
>>8628279
The fear I have though is that the majority of lawyers spend the majority of their time just grinding out routine civil cases. Just like the majority of game devs spend the majority of their time filling out the environment, or the majority of researchers spend the majority of their time reorganizing spreadsheets.
>>
>>8628276
If you do industry research then that's probably pretty challenging.
>>
>>8628276
Everybody has an unrealistic goal going into their chose field of somehow bettering humanity. You'll get over it.
>>
Here's an idea: Maybe most jobs fit into two categories: too easy, and jobs you will probably fail at.

Finding the right balance is tough. If you get a job in a well established organization, you will probably be given some very specific and boring task (I've heard this about Google). If you try to make a startup, the job will be very challenging, but you will probably fail, run out of money, and have to find a normal job.
>>
>>8628276
Serial killer.
>>
File: murry.gif (2MB, 480x263px) Image search: [Google]
murry.gif
2MB, 480x263px
>>8628295
This is pretty spot on in my field: statistics. Statisticians working in Pharma have a pretty boring ass job due to regulation, but we're given a lot more freedom in other research areas.

Also, don't forget consulting. When I worked as a statistician for a consulting firm, it seemed like no two jobs were the same. I had to be quick on my toes, and that often meant that my night back in the hotel was spent researching different methods that I was not familiar with.

We're also expected to stay up to date on new methods that are published in the journals.
>>
>>8628315
Can your average decently-high-GPA smart person get that sort of work? Or do you have to have a bit of luck and be a real over-achiever to avoid working in Pharma?
>>
File: timber.webm (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
timber.webm
1MB, 320x240px
>>8628319
It really depends what your qualifications are. My first job after my MS sucked. It was like office space where my boss knew fuck all about math/stats/computing, but SHE had an MBA. I buckled down for a few years and built a better resume and increased my network.

I went to local R, ASA (American Statistical Association), and marketing/finance meet ups. I also took one class a quarter from my alum that I did not take before, and attended the departmental seminars.

It was a rough few years. In addition to all that, I also pursued (((certifications))): basic and advanced SAS and SQL. If you buckle down and go balls-to-the-wall, then you can do it without too much luck.

Employers only care about institution and GPA for your first job. After that it's all on you.
>>
>>8628333
SAS is so limiting. It's worse than Matlab
>>
File: 1483192078969.gif (2MB, 514x205px) Image search: [Google]
1483192078969.gif
2MB, 514x205px
>>8628340
Not if you want to either work for a megacorp or go into consulting.
>>
>>8628333
How about data science in finance? Are there opportunities these days?
>>
>>8628352
it's probably saturated like everything else.
>>
File: Rlogo.png (32KB, 200x155px) Image search: [Google]
Rlogo.png
32KB, 200x155px
>>8628347
the only reason to use SAS is if your company forces you. microsoft just bought revolution R so i'm guessing an R certificate thing is come out soon for the R fags.
>>
File: this_guy.gif (2MB, 600x255px) Image search: [Google]
this_guy.gif
2MB, 600x255px
>>8628352
That's not my area man, so I don't know.

>>8628356
>the only reason to use SAS is if your company forces you
As a statistician, you should know enough SAS to get through an interview, unless you are going into consulting then you should know more than the minimum.
>>
>>8628310
Jobs, not hobbies.

You mean hitman.
>>
>>8628391
they probably won't talk about SAS unless you bring up your SAS knowledge, then they will want to know how much you know it, unless they are specifically looking for a SAS programmer. Medical still uses a lot of SAS or SPSS. most jobs would just require n years of experience in R Python Julia SAS ... pick one.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.