[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else have blue collar parents who don't quite understand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: u_jerry_m8.gif (565KB, 147x154px) Image search: [Google]
u_jerry_m8.gif
565KB, 147x154px
Anyone else have blue collar parents who don't quite understand what you do?

>go to school for CompE
>"Oh your old friend works at 'x' call center and makes $19/hour! Why would you go to college for that?"

>"so what classes are you taking?"

>"uhh.. operating systems, differential geometry, data structures and an assembly elective"

>"is that kind of stuff even useful? you should've gone into a trade"

How do you convince these people that STEM isn't a waste of time/you'll be making good money once you graduate? Frustrating at times.
>>
File: timesup.png (42KB, 446x373px) Image search: [Google]
timesup.png
42KB, 446x373px
>>8628077
Oh also, OP here but I forgot a smidge

>be doing undergrad mini research with old professor of mine

>we're asymptotically analyzing and trying to rework notoriously poor algorithms (bubble sort, etc)

>find some cool shit and new applications in meteorology in which bubble sort is actually useful

>write the whole deal up with lots of maths and cool shit in a pdf

>get it pushed for publishing, still waiting from our uni's (((money handlers))) if it's worthwhile or not

>call my parents in glee because it's a big deal to me
>they don't understand the utility or significance of getting something published
>treat it like something a little kid can do because of the stigma surrounding college campuses (cry babies, etc), so they dismiss any major successes i have

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>8628077

You don't, people who don't do STEM are inherently retarded. And people who do STEM already see the use of it.
>>
>>8628089

>>bubble sort is useful

In what situation did you find it to be useful?
>>
>>8628097
To keep it vague and not leak research that's waiting to be published, meteorology data collection generally tends towards compact, unique data sets that are already nearly sorted (for example, the temperature at some level in the atmosphere isn't going to change in any massive sporadic fashion,) and bubble sort just happens to be *decent* at sorting these small, somewhat sorted sets

>inb4 wow, a sorting algorithm that's good at sorting sorted data!
>>
>>8628102
Sounds cool anon. Sucks that your parents don't appreciate you getting published.

Funny, I'm in a completely opposite situation from you, my parents were blue collar but always thought college was a ticket to an easy and rich life (which I guess it was when they were young) and they pressured me so hard into a local university that I dropped out in the second year from stress.

I got a job and moved out far away and I want to finish it one day, but I still have a ridiculous pavlovian conditioning that college=massive psychological pressure.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.