/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What text would you all recommend for a quick and dirty overview

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: trips fam.jpg (9KB, 460x174px) Image search: [Google]
trips fam.jpg
9KB, 460x174px
What text would you all recommend for a quick and dirty overview of multivariable/vector calculus? I took "Calc 4" at a local community college, and the content of the course was somewhat minimal. I know how to compute partial derivatives, multiple integrals, ect, but I feel like there is a lot I still need to learn. Stoke's/Greene's Theorems are the names that come to mind, as in, stuff I could touch up on. I'm a math major who is really interested in physics, and I want to take classical mechanics, but I don't wanna get left behind. Books?
>>
>>8624371

For "quick and dirty overview" read Schey's "Div, Grad, Curl, and All That: An Informal Text on Vector Calculus". But a deeper second pass with Hubbard and Hubbard's "Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra and Differential Forms: A Unified Approach" would be more beneficial if you have the time to spare.
>>
>>8624401
Hey, thanks for the reply. I was also thinking about taking a course in vector analysis. Would Hubbard's text prepare me for that?
>>
>>8624371

Just read paul's notes
>>
>>8624429
Paul's notes?
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/?
Probably could be useful, thanks!
>>
>>8624401
>>8624412
Just checked out Div, Grad, Curl and it's just what I need. Good call.
>>
>>8624463
Yep that's it.

I took calc III and IV simultaneously and probably wouldn't have been able to do well without paul's notes
>>
>>8624371
idk man i skipped ahead to ode's
>>
>calc 4

How has noone noticed this
>>
>>8624401

Would you happen to have a link to a torrent or pdf of hubbards book on vector calc? I cant find one.
>>
>>8624371
>I want to take classical mechanics,
I took a 200-level classical mechanics class, and crushed it despite doing poorly in multivariable calc. I wouldn't sweat it. IMO you pick up the math you need as you go in physics.

>>8625125
>How has noone noticed this
It's called calc iv at my uni, too.
>>
Calculus: A complete course
>>
>>8625659
search it on libgen, it's there.
>>
>>8624371
You'll pick it up as you go--don't worry about it. Classical mechanics at the intermediate level isn't too vector calc heavy (most undergrads haven't learned it well by then), and really is pretty chill mathematically. You'll have to know how to do chain rule for 3d vectors, how to diagonalize a matrix, and a little basic calculus. But you'll pick it up.
>>
>>8624371
don't be a pussy and learn differential geometry, best book is loring w. tu's introduction to manifolds. work through it and when you don't really comprehend some concept (e.g. the chain rule), just google it. you'll learn much more and you'll master vector calc along the way as a by-product.
>>
>>8625125
some colleges split calculus into 4 or even 5 different classes just to get more money from people who don't know better
>>
>>8624371
Open your calculus book and read, fuck.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.