[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are phd dissertations/theses available to be read online? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: phd thesis.png (95KB, 283x283px) Image search: [Google]
phd thesis.png
95KB, 283x283px
Are phd dissertations/theses available to be read online?

I met a market maker a little while ago and he said he got hired because he did a phd in discrete math. I'm interested in the field and I'd like to read some such papers to see if I can understand/decipher them.
>>
>>8620534
Usually professors link their dissertation on their website.
>>
If they got published by a scholarly journal, then yes. However, you'll need access to a database like JSTOR which can be expensive if you aren't part of a school.
>>
>>8620534
you probably won't understand a discrete math phd thesis. pick up a discrete math book instead
>>
Discrete math isn't really a research field. It is more of a course name for a collection of topics from algebra, combinatorics, graph theory.
>>
>>8621884
how difficult is it relative to calc I&II?
>>
>>8621919
Well an intro course to concrete math will be pretty easy compared to calc. A rigorous approach to concrete math will blow calc out of the water as it will be more similar to analysis.
>>
>>8620534
Yes, my school e-library links like 200k dissertations alone. Out of anything you'll find, a dissertation is usually among the most heavily researched and backed documents you can quote.
>>
>>8620550
Any way to get access to JSTOR for free? There's so many papers I want but the limit is fucking killing me.
>>
>>8620534
Worst case scenario, most universities have a database of dissertations.
Best case scenario, a lot of them are published.
>>
>>8621963
I assume you meant discrete.

>>8621919
It really is up to whoever designs the course. At my uni for instance, we have a course called "Discrete mathematics" that CS and maths students take, and a course called "Elementary discrete mathematics" that the "informatics" students take. The course for math&cs is very theorem-heavy and uses a lot of really cool proofs, while the elementary course is more about just applying it, without knowing too well what really goes on.

Also sorry if the distinction between CS and "informatics" doesn't translate well. In America I think both degrees would be considered CS (or possibly SE), but CS is like the "real deal" CS with plenty of math, while "informatics" is the meme-tier CS that /sci/ likes to make fun of.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.