[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I can graduate 3 semesters early as a math major, would that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: 9k=.png (429KB, 1444x738px) Image search: [Google]
9k=.png
429KB, 1444x738px
If I can graduate 3 semesters early as a math major, would that look good or bad for grad school? Or would it be irrelevant?
>>
>>8618099

A math major is bare bones as fuck. Either double major, take a lot of electives (and a few physics classes), and/or try a few graduate courses. Also see if you can set up an undergrad directed reading program where you independently study advanced/nontraditional subjects with the help of a professor or grad student mentoring/supervising you (great for getting recommendation letters).
>>
>>8618324
My (upper level) courses would be Analysis 1&2, Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra, PDEs, Differential Forms, and Complex Analysis (graduate).
>>
>>8618337

Only one semester of Abstract Algebra and no Topology? Yeah, that's not going to look good for graduate school.
>>
>>8618099
a better question would be "can I afford it"

I can't believe people think performance matters. Assuming you're in the US that is.
>>
>>8618370
>a better question would be "can I afford it"

afford what?
>>
>>8618337
How is linear algebra an upper level course?
>>
>>8618393
he is not talking about intro linear algebra freshy
>>
>>8618393
It is the abstract proof based version.
>>
>>8618405
What the fuck is intro linear algebra then?
>>8618406
You mean you take a math course WITHOUT proofs?
>>
>>8618411
>What the fuck is intro linear algebra then?

Matrix Algebra
>>
>>8618411
>What the fuck is intro linear algebra then?

Focused on calculations.

Matrix operations, Solving linear systems, Basic properties of vector spaces, eigenshit, various decompositions of matrices
>>
>>8618411
Not that guy but some university's spilt it into two courses where the first one builds intuition and techniques specific to R3 and the second one generalizes to vector spaces, algebras, and in some cases module theory and some babby spectral theory. The idea is that retarded non math students only take the first course and are well prepared for the babby tier engineer math they do in their degrees. The second (and third in some cases) course(s) is aimed at actual math students.
>>
File: 1465062588419.jpg (53KB, 331x417px) Image search: [Google]
1465062588419.jpg
53KB, 331x417px
>>8618411
>You mean you take a math course WITHOUT proofs?

All you need is faith.
>>
>>8618370
grad school is usually free for math majors.
>>
>>8618356
So I can replace the semester of undergrad abstract algebra with the year long graduate algebra sequence and add on undergrad topology. Still graduate 2 semesters early.
>>
>>8618423
Aren't vector spaces like, the actual core essence of linear algebra though?
I mean, I'm a biofag who took linear algebra for fun and I can't imagine how you'd teach it based solely on R3.
>>
>>8618453
Intro Linear algebra at my school teaches vector spaces, but only over R (and finite dimensional of course). And that is pretty much equivalent to just teaching Rn.
>>
>>8618099
>for grad school?
im assuming this means phd?

it would be irrelevant unless you can make a stronger thesis in those 3 semesters.

if you cant then just graduate early as it looks way better.
>>
>>8618435
No, it's usually "free" and you get paid a small stipend plus grant money and possibly a TAship.

That doesn't answer Anon's question whether or not you can afford it. If you think tuition is relevant and you don't realize how difficult it is to live off a small stipend then you have obviously never paid for your own living expenses so maybe your daddy is willing to pay to put you through grad-school too.

For most people they need to start working full time right after graduation.
>>
>>8618535
This.
>>
>>8618099
Don't, take as many difficult courses on your way as you can.
>>
>>8619423
But what is the point of paying for an extra year of undergrad if I am just going to spend it taking all grad classes. Why not just go straight to grad school?
>>
>>8619435
Taking grad courses in undergrad looks good to grad schools. You could just graduate as soon as possible, but when applying to grad school you would be competing with others who have taken grad courses. You will certainly reduce your options for grad school.
>>
>>8619435
Explore different branches of math: Number Theory, Combinatorics, Graph Theory, Probability Theory, Dynamical Systems, Optimization, Fourier Analysis, Logic and Set Theory, Modern Geometry, Numerical Analysis, etc.

Graduate schools won't let you stay there forever. If you're not making progress towards a thesis, they will eventually kick you out. Undergrad is the time to find what you're into.
>>
>>8619423
This. Most math programmes expect you to have taken at least a few grad courses.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.