[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this accurate? What's the best way to learn proofs in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1483645437554.png (49KB, 992x389px) Image search: [Google]
1483645437554.png
49KB, 992x389px
Is this accurate? What's the best way to learn proofs in Step 1?

Already halfway through Velleman's book but wondering if there's something better.
>>
>>8614381
Pretty terrible advice senpai. The best way to learn proofs is to write them. Get a discrete math textbook and work out of that to learn basic proof techniques.
>>
>>8614381
Absolute shit, delete this
>>
1. Proofs are important but you shouldn't stop learning the important things until you're done with a book on proofs. How to Solve It is the best book and can be done while working on other proper courses.

2. Linear algebra is pretty bad as a first course because you don't really need it as a prerequisite for must stuff. On the other hand, calculus is the basis for an intro to real analysis, multivariable calculus and for ODEs. And those themselves are co/pre-requisites for pretty much everything in math. You get much more bang for your buck by learning calculus first.

All in all that list of books sounds pretty bad to be honest with you senpai.
>>
>>8614481
Can you suggest a better approach or a better set of books to learn from? Thanks anon.
>>
>>8614381

Easy books:
How to Prove It: A Structured Approach by Velleman
How to Read and Do Proofs: An Introduction to Mathematical Thought Processes by Solow
Book of Proof by Hammack (http://www.people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/)

Harder books (in increasing difficulty):
A Transition to Advanced Mathematics by Smith, Eggen, and St. Andre
A Primer of Abstract Mathematics by Ash
Conjecture and Proof by Laczkovich

>>8614388
>discrete math textbook

Absolute garbage.

>>8614481
>you don't really need it as a prerequisite for must stuff

Yet lots of stuff implicitly assumes you know it and it helps when you get to Vector Calculus and ODEs.

>calculus is the basis for an intro to real analysis, multivariable calculus and for ODEs

And Matrix Algebra is the basis for Vector Space Theory, Abstract Algebra, Differential Geometry, Functional Analysis, Linear Optimization, Linear Regression, Quantum Mechanics/Information, etc
>>
>>8614691
>Yet lots of stuff implicitly assumes you know it and it helps when you get to Vector Calculus and ODEs.
Of fucking course. I didn't imply that he should postpone learning proofs forever. It's helpful for vector calc and ODEs and it's pretty much a requisite for your first analysis course.

>And Matrix Algebra is the basis for...
You're not wrong there, but for all those fields you need calculus as well. You can't expect to learn abstract algebra without at least one course in real analysis, and good luck learning analysis from the get go without calc.

If he has the time to learn Linear Algebra and Calculus (and proofs) at the same time, then sure go ahead. If not, always prioritize calculus.

>>8614634
There's a bunch of books recommendations on /sci/ so I won't go into it. My suggestion is to go to any university's website and look at the prerequisites for the courses you want to learn and work backwards from there.
>>
>>8614388
Nowhere in the OP's post did it say you could learn proofs without doing proofs.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.