[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is statistics the best stuff to study for Machine Learning?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1473608641643.png (859KB, 1296x797px) Image search: [Google]
1473608641643.png
859KB, 1296x797px
Is statistics the best stuff to study for Machine Learning?

Pic unrelated
>>
>>8613430
ML is a meme.
>>
>>8613430
The correct answer is graph theory
>>
No, Machine Learning is a meme field driven by brute force computing power. There is no intelligence or creativity needed, just random mindless search. Statistics is too artificial and structured to be good for AI. Study pure math anon.
>>
File: 1469413193415.gif (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1469413193415.gif
3MB, 320x240px
statistics is the biggest joke in mathematics. it's basically a confession that you can't actually model a system using deduction and need to base it off a broad set of assumptions. if you try to develop machine learning in this manner instead of tackling the fundamental problems with an analytical mindset you're just going to end up with shit like chatbot that parrots data biasing. it's a disgrace to the empirical model of refining any type of system that attempts to perform unsupervised learning. it's not even learning it's just scripted data map movements. real machine learning deals with syllogistic optimization, and NOT the probabilistic form.
>>
>>8613430
It's CS actually, but /sci/ will always meme on the useful and productive majors like CS, x Engineering and Stats because they thought a Mathematics major would get them a 6 digit salary starting.
>>
>>8613430
Machine learning is basically brute force statistics cuz you can have an algorithm randomly changing weights on the hidden layer nodes until you start getting closer to the desired answer. You don't need to come up with a formula for converting wood planks into buildings because the machine learning will just brute force a formula.
>>
Applied Mathematics is the best degree for ML in terms of giving you the proper tools to do research.
>>
>>8613434
>>8613527
>>8613548
>>8613549
>>8613650
>>8613704
These are all somewhat right, but also very wrong.
>>8613710
This is fairly accurate.
>>
This is may be a retarded question, but can I get into AI research with statistics degree?
>>
>>8615174
Yes, but also learn some programming.
>>
If you want to make money and or have a career.

If you want to be poor like me then study pure math. I love pure math though.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.