[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come this can only go down a kilometer?! It's a six

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

How come this can only go down a kilometer?!

It's a six inch thigh plexiglass sphere! That's thicker than the window on the bathyscaphe's that have been in the Challenger Deep!

What is this?

I need to know to my fantasies.

How thick does plexiglass have to be to go deep?
>>
>>8613221
You seem to have a handle on more information about this crafty than we do. Tell us more about it - what type of motors, how they're mounted, fuel or energy source....
>>
>>8613226

Quit thatthat.

I'm just asking about plexiglass strength.

If I recall the Trieste had 5 inch thick plexiglass windows. It went down seven miles.

Now here is a submersible with a 6.5 inch thick plexiglass sphere.... And it isn't even rated for a half mile.

This is a math board, right?

You see how it doesn't add up?
>>
>>8613234

common sense tells me that they use different types of glass
>>
>>8613252

All the info I find says they both use acrylic.
>>
Its a NGC issue.

(Not-glass components)
>>
>>8613221
This is a difficult question to answer. part of the problem is the interface between the plexiglass sphere and the hatch for getting inside. This creates stress concentrations and places for cracks to start
>>8613234
And during descent the outer acrylic viewing pane cracked from the pressure
>>
>>8613234
>I'm just asking about plexiglass strength.
No - you're asking about the whole system. Your original question was,
>>8613221
>How come this can only go down a kilometer?!
This "thing" is the whole machine., There's a lot more to it than the plexiglass bubble. The bubble may very well withstand deep dives, but other components may fail.

If you're just asking about plexiglass, ask it!

Okay, you eventually did.
>>
>>8613221
Don't worry too much OP; we have aluminum oxynitride now.
>>
>>8613286

The theory is that it wasn't from the pressure, it was the temperature difference and expansion/contraction between the contrasting extreme cold on the outside and warm inside.

Pressure didn't do it alone.
>>
>>8613342
> temperature difference
No more than 40 celsius delta across that interface.

Go back to bed, child.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.