[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aren't moon or extraplanetary colonies impossible? Even

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: dn23542-1_800.jpg (104KB, 800x613px) Image search: [Google]
dn23542-1_800.jpg
104KB, 800x613px
Aren't moon or extraplanetary colonies impossible? Even ignoring all of the logistical problems of building them, the lower gravity of every terrestrial planet/moon would make it impossible for humans to develop if born there.
>>
>>8613072
>the lower gravity of every terrestrial planet/moon would make it impossible for humans to develop if born there

How do you know?
>>
>>8613072
>ignoring all the logistical problems

Go fuck your face with a book
>>
>>8613072
you're not wrong
this is part of why the o'neil cylinder is better than meme planets
>>
>>8613556
This
>>
>>8613072
wouldn't humans adapt to the new gravity after a few generations?
>>
>>8613719
wouldn't the few generations be dead because they can't adapt?
>>
>>8613556
>o'neil cylinder

This is probably a meme but honestly the energy requirements to keep a structure like that rotating sufficiently for Earth-level gravity sounds extremely high.
>>
>>8613072
Mars gravity is probably sufficient and Venus is almost like earth so I don't think it would matter that much
>>
File: Get Well Soon!.jpg (138KB, 615x411px) Image search: [Google]
Get Well Soon!.jpg
138KB, 615x411px
>>8613072
>colonies

That means they generational and are raising children there. Thus, you are correct for celestial bodies that have less than 1g by a fair margin. It is currently impossible to do that....without using centrifuges to live in. Without proper gravity you'd end up with Jello babies. Adults would eventually go blind, as modern astronauts start doing after only 6 months in space.

Because of this, it is better to use O'Neil Cylinders.

>>8613897
Getting it started requires a lot of energy. After that, there's no friction to stop it. It can orbit the sun, so there's no interference from planets.

>>8613914
Mars only has 0.38g. Not nearly enough for generations of humans to live there.

>>8613719
>>8613868
Humans may not die from it, but they will be very deformed and handicapped because of it. Infant development is the main problem. They need gravity for nearly all their systems and structures to develop properly. Bone structure and eye structure are the big ones. Due to VIIP their eyes may become completely inoperable to the point they will never be able to focus them. The bones may never develop at all because of the lack of gravity and the vibrations required to stimulate their growth.
>>
>>8613719
Humans born and raised on Mars will not be able to survive on Earth because their physiology will be extremely fragile in the higher gravity environment of Earth.
>>
>>8613972
This, even astronauts bones are getting fragile after a six months missions (and they have to do 2 hours of sport each day)
>>
>>8613072
Centrifuges. If you have the internal walls angled, they can even work with any local gravity you have.

You can get away with somewhat less than 1 g if you have people wear weighted clothing and exercise a good deal.
>>
>>8613972
>Mars only has 0.38g. Not nearly enough for generations of humans to live there.
Do we really know this? All we know is that 0g fucks people up, but even as little as 0.1g should be enormously beneficial for circulation/etc.
>>
>>8615109
100% = 1g
38% = 0.38g
0% = 0g

If 1g = 100% healthy then 0.38g = 38% healthy.

There will be a tipping point and we don't know what that tipping point is in g. I'm sure it is higher than 0.38g.
>>
>>8615118
>If 1g = 100% healthy then 0.38g = 38% healthy.
I dont even have a response to that
>>
>>8615118
>gravitational force's effect on human health is linear
This is your brain on 4chan
>>
So did anyone ever actually do experiments on how low g affects mammal development? I mean it won't be tested on people but surely, someone took two mice to the ISS at least once...
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.