[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

magnet question.. if I purchase this bar from amazon, can I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 71qcL4D3IcL._SL1500_.jpg (127KB, 1500x1497px) Image search: [Google]
71qcL4D3IcL._SL1500_.jpg
127KB, 1500x1497px
magnet question..

if I purchase this bar from amazon, can I melt and reshape it to a specific dimension while holding the magnetic charge?
>>https://www.amazon.ca/Bar-Neodymium-Rare-Earth-Magnet/dp/B012OW8PEE/ref=sr_1_75?ie=UTF8&qid=1484783426&sr=8-75&keywords=neodymium
>>
bump, does anyone know of a magnet I can purchase, melt and reshape?
>>
Not too sure specifically about neodymium, but if you melt it it will lose its magnetic polarity and you'll have to re-magnetize it.
>>
>>8612633
Absolutely not.
>>
>>8612633
curie point is the term you need to lookup anon
>>
Do magnets still work in a vacuum?
>>
>>8613559
...What?
>>
You need to buy two of them.
Melt ur first and shape it. When it cool, ensure you got it in something that :
- allows u to have the second magnet very close
- allows very slow cooling
- isn't metallic

Then just cool the first magnet slowly, near the second one, ensuring this last doesn't heat too much.
It'll remagnetize the first magnet.
You'll lose a bit of magnetism in the process so don't hesitate to go big and buy a way more powerful magnet for the second one.
>>
>>8613559
yes, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_equations as you can see the equations become simpler when no charges are present.
>>
>>8612633
No. Heating and deformities disrupts the alignment of the metal atoms which so what makes things magnetic.
>>
Any piece of ferritic metal will work, doesn't even need to be a magnet to start.

I'm not sure about what rate you should cool it off at but I'd hypothesize that it should be quenched for the optimal crystal structure.

The important part is that you need a strong magnetic field afterwards to remagnetize it.
Just wrap it in copper wire and hook up a battery.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.