[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Graduate with a Bachelors in Political Science >Accepted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

>Graduate with a Bachelors in Political Science
>Accepted into a Masters of Statistics Program at top 20 university

How fucked am I /sci/? Anything I should brush up on before I attend?
>>
>>8612588
brush up on sucking dick.
>>
>>8612588
well if it sa top university you will have top professors right and they will help you to get over your knowledge leaks.

>inb4 just kidding youre fucked
>>
>>8612588
Vector Calculus, Probability that uses Vector Calculus
>>
>>8612601
How much probability? I know calc 3 and multivariates distribution? Could I hit the ground running?
>>
If the program is in the liberal arts or the business school you are probably okay.

If the program is in the Sciences or the Math department, you are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo completely fucked son!
>>
>>8612610

No. That's not enough. Statistics Theory uses Lebesgue integration so you need real analysis. Also if you didn't do any probability and stochastic processes, or the second differential equations through Fourier and Laplace, and of course a ton of Linear Algebra...

...no, don't panic. Well, Panic!, but maybe you should find out what the program is first.

They wouldn't have accepted you if your transcripts were that sparse.
>>
>>8612588
which math classes have you already taken?
>>
>>8612588
How hard was it to get accepted? Did you have a lot of letters of rec?
>>
>>8612588
How?
>>
>>8612629
a lot of statistics grad programs don't require the real heavy mathematic such as real analysis and L integration. people like OP wouldn't get in.
>>
>>8612588
It can be done.

It all depends how motivated you are to teach yourself the basics.
You will enter your graduate coursework with the expectation of a thorough understanding of basic stats, because you will start immediately on it's applications in the real world.

I recommend you email one of your professors, or the department dean and ask for a list of topics that you should learn and start now
>>
>>8612835
a lot of the classes will be the same as the undergraduate classes.
>>
>>8612868
Is this the case for stats?

I have a masters in chemistry and this required an almost complete mastery of undergraduate Chem, we even had to pretest to verify proficiency
>>
>>8612588
It'd probably help to check out a few books on Bayesian probability, and at the very least familiarize yourself with distributions and how to study them (Gaussian, Poisson, binomial, Lorentz, etc)
>>
>>8612896
yeah, you just need basic prob theory to get in.
once you're in you can make your program involved as you want. but, let's face it, most people don't want to make their life difficult. they just want the degree. 2 people in the same program from the same uni can have way different backgrounds at the end, depending on what classes they take. some of the grad classes will be the same as the undergrad classes but with a different number. an undergrad in statistics is very complete in a good statistics program sometimes it's more complete than grad programs. there are a lot of "data science" programs; i would say they are less complete and gravitate more towards business or some shit like that. if you want to study bleeding edge, i would just do statistics and not a "data science" program. even stats departments are eating away at cs departments.
>>
>>8612629
Thanks for the input.
I wasnt OP, just an actuarial student looking for the best values.
>>
>>8612732
I had three letters of recommendation (the required amount, I couldn't have submitted any more or less), but one of my professors has worked with one one of the professors on the search committee, and he wrote me a letter of recommendation, so I imagine that helped.

>>8612724
I took up to calculus 2, but I also took several grad level stats courses in the Poly-sci department. I'm not sure how well that'll translate, but looking at the degree requirements it seems like we'll be doing a lot of the work in R, so hopefully it won't be too different.
>>
File: howlermonkey_02.jpg (341KB, 800x735px) Image search: [Google]
howlermonkey_02.jpg
341KB, 800x735px
if u haven't taken intro prob or stat inference u r not being admitted to a top 20 stats program.

Stop lying OP
>>
>>8612588
the best academic masters degree to get, good choice, brush up on linear algebra and basic calc 3
>>
>>8613009
>>8612985

R is fucking easy. you will be a master of it very quickly. every professor i had in the statistics department didn't really care what language we used besides the R classes. depending on your personal style you could also use Julia, FORTRAN, or Python. i personally use R together with Python and that was what was recommended from one of the professors. you might use D3.js and Processing for your data viz. sometimes you will have to know C C++ for Cuda to speed things up. also, if you know C++ you can speed things up in R. there maybe an entire separate Cuda class. as a grad student, you really have the opportunity be the most powerful, depending on what you make of it. if you know more in advance, you can have more excitement as a grad student, especially for statistics.

you can try going through the entire "Probability and Statistics" book by DeGroot. that is pretty much the foundation of everything.
>>
File: 1482011594285.png (191KB, 800x700px) Image search: [Google]
1482011594285.png
191KB, 800x700px
You will need to have the following mastered.

ALGEBRA
Algebraic manipulation
Sums
Permutations
Combinations

CALCULUS
Limits
Derivatives*
Basic integration*
Integration by parts
u-substitution
Sums and series
Multiple integrals*
Jacobians
*ignore the trig stuff here

MATRIX ALGEBRA
You should probably just work through an entire book. You will need to be very comfortable with manipulations, not just Ax=b. Your regression class will likely be in your first term and will make heavy use of matrix algebra.

PROOF WRITING
Learn how to write proofs.
Basic set theory
Induction

REAL ANALYSIS
At the masters level you won't need to know too much, but work through a basic book if you can. Ross's Elementary Analysis - The Theory of Calculus is a good one, and it will also help with your proof writing skills.

STATISTICS
You should have a good idea of calculus based probability and statistics. If you are really pressed for time, then learn how to find the expected value and variance of the common distributions/densities, along with some of their common uses (flip a coin is Bernoulli, flip multiple coins is binomial, etc.). Finding the expected values and variance can require some mathematical tricks, but seeing these tricks will help in other classes, especially since you will likely not have seen them as a poly sci guy.

Any other questions don't be afraid to ask.
>>
>>8612588
Study this
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mathematics#Probability_.28Multivariable_Calculus_based.29
>>
>>8613764
First game is 3/4
Second game is 2/3
So first game is better.
>>
>>8613797
Second is actually 19/27
>>
>>8613764
sum of all rolls or score in each roll?
>>
File: remove.png (613KB, 727x650px) Image search: [Google]
remove.png
613KB, 727x650px
>>8614121
>>
>>8612588
Is it regular statistics or mathematical statistics?
>>
File: 1483184789932.jpg (98KB, 709x480px) Image search: [Google]
1483184789932.jpg
98KB, 709x480px
>>8614559
Dude is going into a grad program for a MS in Statistics. What do you think nigger?
>>
All these pure math fags shouting bullshit they have no idea about.

Guys, hes not going into a pure statistics master. If he got in with political science, it's an applied statistics / survey stats / survey methodology master. In these degrees you have like the first semester of actual math classes and the rest is survey methods, R programmind, data mining, sampling theory, official statistics etc. It's not a real mathematical statistics major. If it was, he wouldn't have gotten into it.

I have a bachelors degree in sociology and got an M sc in Survey statistics. It's about 50% data analysis and R programming, trust me. No need for a lot of mathematical knowledge. I only had a 10 credit course in real stats, didn't even know multivariate stats and stilll managed just fine.
>>
File: muh_pronouns.png (110KB, 960x307px) Image search: [Google]
muh_pronouns.png
110KB, 960x307px
>>8615283
>All these pure math fags shouting bullshit they have no idea about.

Yeah cunt tell me more about how I don't know what I am talking about.

>be me
>statistician
>bs math, ms stats
> worked in industry for a few year before ms

LARP harder fag. I gave OP what he needs for a MS in >>8613764
>>
>>8615634
Did you even read the rest of his post, you daft cunt?
>>
File: 1480362415091.gif (2MB, 206x223px) Image search: [Google]
1480362415091.gif
2MB, 206x223px
>>8615660
Yeah I did. OP said nothing about that specialization. Fact is, he will need to work through C&B to graduate.

R programming? Whoopty fucking do!!! The basics are what matters, but OP will be ill prepared for the basics if he ignores >>8613764

I want OP to succeed, so I will shoot down the bullshit that gets posted. This place is full of autists

> muh cal2 lol you are a brainlet

In reality math is much different anf very beautiful.
>>
>>8613797
Can you explain this for me? I'm really bad at probability.
>>
>>8615634
You're dumb as fuck if you think you'd get into a masters degree in pure statistics with a political science degree.

Just look up the requirements. You'll see that you'd need an actual math / stats bachelor to get into those.

The only reason you can even get into stuff like survey stats with a political science / sociology major is because they (sometimes) cover quantitative methods and data analysis besides the usual statistics course. It's literally on every website offering these degrees "you need to have an amount of x credits in statistics or quant methods bla". Usually you have to specialize your bachelors degree in that to get that credit count.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.