[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened in 1980? if you look at this graph the the tem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: what heppned in 1980.png (41KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
what heppned in 1980.png
41KB, 600x400px
What happened in 1980? if you look at this graph the the temperature follows a stable wave form from about 1840 to about 1980. anyone care to guess what happened then I'm curious?
I got this graph from here
http://www.ysbl.york.ac.uk/~cowtan/applets/trend/trend.html
>>
>>8611686
Oh, wow this is interesting.
What field of science studies the global temperature?

Anybody here have any info what this means?
>>
>>8611686
Looks like it came from a down trend friend.
>>
>>8611686
The snowstorms
>>
>>8611686
Theres nothing to see here because the graph is fake and uses fake data to sell us the man made global warming meme
>>
I can't wait till humans are wiped out by the incoming ice age
>>
File: 4375987435.jpg (47KB, 603x430px) Image search: [Google]
4375987435.jpg
47KB, 603x430px
>>8611686

Fixed.
>>
>>8611686
The "wave" is simply the AMO. It's random natural variation from ocean and air currents.
>>
>>8611742
We're already in an ice age. There's ice at the poles.

I really hate when /pol/tards pretend to know anything.
>>
>>8611765
>ice age
>no glaciers at Lake Erie or Ontario
Nice projection
>>
>>8611767
Why would glaciers that far south be necessary?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternary_glaciation
>>
>>8611773
>it's an ice age
>no ice below Greenland and Alberta
An ice age would imply that ice covers 1/4 of the planet
>>
>>8611686
Looks like hunting of a self-regulating non-linear system.
>>
>>8611782
Where did you get that idea? I have literally never heard any geologist or glaciologist define ice age by a certain fraction of the earth covered in ice sheet.
>>
>>8611782
>no ice below Greenland and Alberta
That's wrong, there is plenty of alpine ice. Melting quickly, but still there.

>An ice age is a period of long-term reduction in the temperature of Earth's surface and atmosphere, resulting in the presence or expansion of continental and polar ice sheets and alpine glaciers.
>>
File: hadcrut4gl-detrend-amo-index.png (38KB, 640x823px) Image search: [Google]
hadcrut4gl-detrend-amo-index.png
38KB, 640x823px
>>8611762
Doesn't look random, more like a cyclic pattern. What drives it? What about ENSO?
>>
>>8611889
It is cyclic but the amplitude is unpredictable, hence random. It's primarily caused by atmospheric circulation which influences a variety of mechanisms that lead to changes in SSTs. ENSO is equally unpredictable but is much more short term than AMO and easier to see.
>>
File: accumulatedsmb-20170118.png (106KB, 627x518px) Image search: [Google]
accumulatedsmb-20170118.png
106KB, 627x518px
>>8611782
We are currently in an ice age that began 2.6 million years ago. Yes, we are in an ice age. Once the shock of reading that last statement wears off, realize that the only requirement for labeling the Earth as being in an ice age is that there has to be permanent (year-round) and somewhat extensive ice cover somewhere on the planet. Right now, that ice cover is on the Arctic, Greenland, and the Antarctic.

The Milankovitch theory proposes that glaciation is triggered by minima in summer insolation near 65° N, enabling winter snowfall to persist all year and therefore accumulate to build Northern Hemisphere ice sheets. Therefore, cool summers in the Northern Hemisphere high latitudes are needed for glaciation; there is less melting of the ice sheets during the summer and the sheets can advance equatorward during the other seasons. At 65° N the daily July insolation 126,000 years ago was 486.5 W m-2, but it plummeted to 397.6 W m-2 over a period of just 10,000 years. Therefore, the onset of the last glacial period occurred approximately 116,000 years ago.
Climate Literacy Labs http://sites.gsu.edu/geog1112/lab-7/
65° N is southern Greenland and Iceland.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.