[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sci/, what happens to those homemade "death jar" experiments

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

/sci/, what happens to those homemade "death jar" experiments that people make when they leave bacteria to fester?

I know they are disgusting but I'm interested in what people call them and how the bacteria evolves/develops to become so dangerous. Do they become common diseases or mutate into something more dangerous?
>>
>>8609866
What the fuck? I've never heard of these.
>>
>>8609866
> become common diseases or mutate into something more dangerous?

Probably both happen. Mostly though, you will just be growing a large colony of pre-existing bacteria.

In normal quantities (undetectable to the eye), those bacteria often would not be in big enough quantities to get you sick (e.g. they might die in stomach acid, snot in your nose, etc.).

But if you ate the contents of a "death jar", you would basically be trying to get sick.

My hunch is that alot of "death jars" are more gross than deadly though.
>>
>>8609866
If you culture a pathogen that would usually never grow into a large colony in the wild, then yeah obviously it can become hazardous.
>>
>>8609897
Yeah, what I'm talking about is people have jars where they have left organic waste to rot over a long period of time, then they used to post threads about their own death jars. And other people would post their own. Obviously it would be extremely dangerous to open one due to the spores and contamination. Literally homemade jars of disease.

>>8609902
In the jars, there are whole nests of bacteria that have been violently competing against one another, so clearly they would be very new and dangerous. I am interested in how bacteria evolves in such extreme conditions.
>>
>>8609995
There wouldn't be anything special about them. They'd just be in huge numbers. In order to get mutated super bacteria, you have to use some kind of selective pressure. Usually in the form of antibiotics. That's why there are "superbugs" out there that are resistant to every drug we have.
>>
>>8609995

>extreme conditions

No, the jar would be like paradise to bacteria. For example, if you left an egg in a jar, you have just given it an "infinite supply" of food. In fact, in biology labs, we use something very analogous to cow blood (fetal bovine serum) to grow colonies.

The jar probably would not be as bad, except that it is exposed to air. There are tons of little nasty contaminates in air, but they don't normally have the chance to grow giant colonies with "infinite food supply". Like, if there was a way to put the egg in a vacuum, I doubt you would have nearly as much nastiness.

> I am interested in how bacteria evolves

Out of the millions and millions of bacteria, the best survivors duplicate the most. The duplicate by being good at eating up the resources that you provide them (e.g. an egg) and being able to avoid destruction from other cells.

If you are looking for some fight scenes, there is some really detailed recording of immune system action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va1jaBGwoT8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnlULOjUhSQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AP8yL1qBpw
>>
>>8610009
I see, they still remain "dumb bacteria" despite their competitive environment.

So technically, a true "death jar" isn't one that relies on existing microbodies, but would rely on receiving modern existing antibodies into the container until they proved resilient enough to thrive.

I'm not a biological terrorist or anything but it is interesting to learn.
>>
Everyone in this thread just landed on a three letters agency list.
>>
>>8610030
>competitive environment

It's not a competitive environment. It's a 5 star luxury hotel with "infinite food supply".

If you wanted to make something really gnarly, you would:

1. Put some delicious food in a jar (e.g. egg yolk)
2. Collect a wide variety of nasty contaminants (e.g. if you dig up some soil, it usually has some really nasty stuff in it) and add it to the jar
3. Buy common anti-biotics and spray some over the colony. If you are lucky, there might be some that live even though 99% of the colony dies. If not, you have to start the experiment over.
4. Let the colony recover (i.e. the 1%'ers will have the "luxury hotel" all to themselves).
5. Repeat and replenish food source as necessary.
6. With enough luck and patience, you will have a super resistant colony of nastiness.

You should really watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va1jaBGwoT8

It shows you how awesome those litter critters are. Computer scientists think that 1 of those critters is equivalent to 1 cpu. I disagree.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.