[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /sci/. Is my math right? So I've read about these things

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: nuclear-diamond-battery.png (41KB, 845x428px) Image search: [Google]
nuclear-diamond-battery.png
41KB, 845x428px
Hey, /sci/. Is my math right? So I've read about these things called diamond batteries. They're small diamonds that are made by compressing radioactive waste dust into little radioactive diamonds.

They're completely safe, each one emitting less radiation than a banana. They're solid state, with nothing that could break to release it, or wear down. For all intents and purposes, they're totally fine. And they never need to be recharged; each one will output the same amount of energy for over five thousand years. Each one is a pittance, but it just keeps going and going and going.

Allegedly they singularly only produce 300 joules of energy a day. So roughly 1 joule every 4.8 minutes. 10 joules every 48 minutes. A pittance.

According to my shit math, you would need 288 of the things to produce 1 watt. That's 1 watt, consistently, every second of every minute of every hour of every day of the year. 1 watt being one joule per second.

Also according to my calculations, the average American home consumes about 11,000 kilowatt hours every year. Or roughly 30 kilowatt hours a day. 30 hours of using 1,000 watts. Well clearly we're not using 30 hours in a day, so we're using over 1,250 an hour over 24 hours, all year.
Divide that by 60, that's about 20.83 watts a minute.
0.3472222 a second.

Wouldn't this mean if you had just 288 nuclear diamonds, able to produce a joule every second (an even watt), we'd feed 31.5 megawatts into the grid over the course of a year? Or roughly three times the amount of power we consume in kilowatt hours.

A stack 6*6*6 would make an even cube of nuclear diamonds, and it'd produce more watts for the grid than you consume.

am I wrong?
>>
>>8609160
What about all the energy required to make them and then the sum total of the radiation of all the diamonds together?
>>
>Diamonds
>not carbon
Or
>carbon
>radioactive
>>
Use uranium that is truly radioactive
>>
>>8609160
For a start you're mixing up units. 1,250 W is the average power over the course of the day, which is the energy per unit time (Watts = Joules per second). You convert to watt-hours by multiplying that by the number of hours you use that power for. In this case obviously 1,250 W multiplied by 24 hours = 30 kilowatt-hours.

If 288 diamonds produce 1 W, then your total power drawn from the grid is now 1,249 W and the energy used per day is just a tiny amount less than 30 kWh - so no, they won't power a home. But, having heard a little about these myself, it was never the goal to do that but to provide an essentially endless small power supply for use in e.g. satellites and space landers, and even watches, because the radioactivity will continue to generate electricity for thousands of years.
>>
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/news/diamond-batteries-could-use-nuclear-waste-to-generate-electricity-for-mille/
Read before posting.
>>
>>8609160
kilowatt hours is the modt retarded unit ever conceived because it confused people like OP.
Watt is Joules per second. Kilowatt hours are just Energy, Joules with some factor.
Your calculations show that you use 1250 Watt and your diamond battery only produces 1.
And these claims seem a little unreliable too me.
>>
>>8609235
Well, balls. Oh well.

360,000 diamonds would suffice, then. A not-quite-cube of 70X70X74.

Now suddenly you have real estate that will never require an electricity bill for heat, water, lights or utilities and can function whether it's raining or snowing.
>>
>>8609253
Being around 360,000 bananas will totally kill you desu
>>
>>8609269
only if you eat them while shoving them up every hole in your body.

thankfully you can't slip on a peel THAT HARD.
>>
>generate electricity
>produce waste
>use electricity to turn waste into diamonds
>supplement diamond production energy cost with coal
>repeat

Wouldn't it be easier to turn it into glass? It wouldn't be indestructible but it'd be immobile. It'd also be easier to work with. If we could make some sort of solar panel type device that works with nuclear decay particles you could line the panels with radioactive glass, then store them underground and harness their electricity for a few hundred years.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.