[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why doesn't a bouncy ball transfer all its energy into the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

Why doesn't a bouncy ball transfer all its energy into the ground when it hits it?

Why does some of the energy seem to come back into it an change its motion from up to down?

I mean I get that things are elastic but I guess I'm asking why? Elasticity seems counterintuitive.
>>
>>8608656
Things don't want to be deformed. When they get deformed, they bounce back. This is what transfers force back to the ball. The floor bounces back.
>>
>>8608656
I'm not sure this will help you since I never thought it was counterintuitive but this its just law of conservation of the movement ( p = mv ), since it's impossible to move the earth from it's surface, it has to go back somewhere, which is in the ball.
I couldn't go deeper in the explanations since I HATE chemistry, but from a molecular point of view this also totally make sense,
when the ball hits the wall ( or the ground ), it gets distorted : every molecules suddenly gets closer, and I find pretty natural that the ball want to regain it's relaxed position the most efficient way possible.
>>
>>8608704
>every molecules suddenly gets closer, and I find pretty natural that the ball want to regain it's relaxed position the most efficient way possible.

Correct, the energy imparted into the molecules is released in the form of motion as they resist compression. That's why you can't bounce a ball made of glass as the molecules don't contract and expand, they just shatter the strength of bonds holding them together is exceeded far beyond their ability to deform.
>>
>>8608704
The conservation law you're looking for is the conservation of momentum and it implies the complete opposite. Momentum is transferred to the Earth, it just has no practical effect since the Earth's mass is enormous compared to the bouncy ball.

In fact, the ball bouncing back away from the Earth imparts a GREATER magnitude of momentum to the Earth, since the net momentum must still be toward the Earth--it's conserved.

Conservation of kinetic energy is also called an 'elastic' collision, but real bouncy balls do not undergo elastic collisions--they eventually stop bouncing or don't bounce all the way up to their initial height.
>>
>>8608656
>why are elastic materials elastic
bcoz elastic
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.