[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starting linear alg, O Chem 101 essentially, and waves/optics/thermodynamics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: the-wanderer_00372102.jpg (377KB, 1634x2076px) Image search: [Google]
the-wanderer_00372102.jpg
377KB, 1634x2076px
Starting linear alg, O Chem 101 essentially, and waves/optics/thermodynamics phys next quarter. Any bits of help you guys can give me?
>>
>>8608388
Don't take ochem lightly.
Lin. Algebra helps if you took ode.
The physics will be mostly plug and chug with some minor results proven for thermo.
>>
>>8608388
get a feel for linear by reading ahead.

pray you have a proofs based course, it will help you with all physics forever
>>
>>8608395
I'll have to take your word for it. I fucking hate proofs.
>>
>>8608388
why am I seeing this picture everywhere? what the fuck is going on?
>>
>>8608422
It's a nice picture - reflects the superiority we feel looking down on phenomena we don't understand, completely consumed by our obsession with obtain empirical evidence hoping to find truth somewhere underneath those clouds
>>
File: 15537539.jpg (84KB, 300x314px) Image search: [Google]
15537539.jpg
84KB, 300x314px
>>8608388
yeah, give up
>>
>>8608887
What he said. In addition to that, I also like the idea that from the man's eyes, he rules the land. But from an outside perspective, he is quite insignificant to the land's vastness.

If I had the money, I would get a huge copy canvas of it to hang in my office or home.
>>
>>8608388
Watch the linear algebra course of MIT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK3O402wf1c&list=PLE7DDD91010BC51F8&index=1
>>
>>8608392
The lighter you take ochem the better you do actually
Try to grasp the handful of basic principles to the various reactions. It's surprisingly intuitive. The entire point of it being a "science" rather than a laundry list of isolated, totally dissimilar reactions to be memorized by technicians or looked up in shitty tables is the predictive models we have for it. Practice helps, but I don't think it's crucial.
If you're ever going to do quantum/computational chem, you actually get a good conceptual base for that out of understanding ochem well. "Electron pushing" is a lot like "multiply by dx" or other technically irrigorous manipulations that give you correct answers. It basically mimics the qualitative behavior of waves.

>>8608409
>I fucking hate proofs
You'll have to come to grips with them sooner or later if you want to be a decent physicist. Not essential if you want to do work with just a BS or be an engineer, but still, as an exercise in rigorous argumentation and ingenuity it far surpasses anything in the liberal arts departments. Acquaintance with linear algebra from an abstract and mathematically rigorous point of view is essential for serious work in quantum mech. If your class is a cookbook one that barely strays out of R^n and doesn't consider vector spaces and things like inner products in some generality you're not getting your money's worth.
The first chapter of Szabo/Ostlund's modern qchem book is a very short but nice "remedial/review" LA crash course, maybe it's worth using that as a supplement or set of notes/guidelines. There's also a little section that introduces second quantization if you don't go over that in your quantum class.

>>8608887
>science is Nietzschean
No fuck you get out
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.