[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For time dependent 3-dim vectors [math] {\bf v} , {\bf b} [/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

For time dependent 3-dim vectors [math] {\bf v} , {\bf b} [/math] and constant c,
I'm dealing with an differential equation of the form

[math] \dfrac{d}{dt} {\bf v} = c {\bf b} + {\bf b} \times {\bf v} [/math]

Does anyone recognize this type form any other setting?

For c=0 we have that [math] L = {\bf b} \times [/math] is just a linear map and I know that

[math] \dfrac{d}{dt} {\bf v} = L {\bf v} [/math]

is solved via
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_expansion

---

Mostly, I want to know what known discretization schemes available. For the first equation. Maybe there's something in fluid-dynamics, hydro-dynamics or electromagnetic field theory like that. (E.g. a text on the discretization of the Newton equation for the Lorentz force)
>>
>>8607966
How about writing it using 4x4 matrix L. Append a 1 to v to make it 4x1. Use Magnus again
>>
>>8608350
This.
>>
Kind of looks like the Landau-Lifshitz-Gilbert equation for magnetodynamics if you define v as M and b as (M x H_eff). There are some notes on it on the internet for numerical solutions. Hope this helps!
>>
>>8608384
wow dude what is your education level if you know this kind of stuff ?
>>
>>8608387
My professor mentioned it during undergrad E&M. I think it's important for spintronics or something, but I used it to show that it can explain how an MRI works in a presentation for that class.
>>
File: Rory_Ulysses.png (280KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
Rory_Ulysses.png
280KB, 500x376px
>>8608350
>Append a 1 to v to make it 4x1.
Maybe I'm confused, but since this an ODE and v is not a constant, I'd have [math] \frac{d}{dt}v_4 = v_4 [/math] and [math] v_4 = 1 [/math] would be merely an initial condition.
Or do you mean to restrict the differential operator somehow? But what's the integration procedure, then?

>>8608384
Thanks, I'll try to find a text on it. Although b being a function of v (what we have with this magneto-equation) is a more complicated case.
>>
File: damni.jpg (510KB, 2095x3000px) Image search: [Google]
damni.jpg
510KB, 2095x3000px
Also, does anybody know how well integration methods such as Runge Kutta to various degrees carry over to 3-dimensional system?
Does anybody have a reference for e.g. Runge-Kutta in those dimensions?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Runge%E2%80%93Kutta_methods
>>
>>8608858
Make L 4x4 with the bottom row all zeros and the first 3 rows of the last column equal to b and the top left 3x3 equal to the matrix form of b x.

Take v and make it 4x1 by adding a 1 to the end. Then d/dt v = L v does the job.
>>
>>8609832
I think that makes sense to me, thx, will look at it.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.