[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Warp-drive is an idea that takes its name from the sci-fi FTL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: warpdrive.jpg (76KB, 960x685px) Image search: [Google]
warpdrive.jpg
76KB, 960x685px
Warp-drive is an idea that takes its name from the sci-fi FTL drive from Star Trek. (While we usually call it warp, in reality it is actually referred to as a "space-time bubble." ) The idea is to use a loop-hole in Albert Einstein's theory of relativity, which is that while an object cant travel faster than light, the space around it can be altered so that it "moves." If the space in front of an object is contracted and the space behind it is expanded, theoretically it should be able to change its location in space without ever actually moving. We can say that this isn't impossible because the theory of relativity says that space is dynamic, but the only thing that could possibly move space in such a way is negative energy.

While negative energy is mostly speculative, it's proven that it could do all sorts of wonders: time travel, wormholes, destroy black holes, and create warp fields. The biggest difficulty we have with creating warp-drive (and all these other things) is obtaining or creating enough negative energy. In the case of warp drive, you'd need enough negative energy to create a stable field.

Does /sci/ want to speculate on how to gather, attract, or create negative energy without destroying it? Also general warp-speed thread because it's interesting.
>>
>>8602979
>time travel, wormholes, destroy black holes, and create warp fields

We won't ever do any of those things without a quantum theory of gravity.
>>
File: Negative energy.jpg (649KB, 577x577px) Image search: [Google]
Negative energy.jpg
649KB, 577x577px
Also, here's something I found when looking into negative energy, pretty interesting. It came with this:

"Space-time bubble is the closest that modern physics comes to the "warp drive" of science fiction. It can convey a starship at arbitrarily high speeds. Space-time contracts at the front of the bubble, reducing the distance to the destination, and expands at its rear, increasing the distance from the origin (arrows). The ship itself stands still relative to the space immediately around it; crew members do not experience any acceleration. Negative energy (blue) is required on the sides of the bubble."
>>
>>8602979
dark matter, dark energy
>negative energy
>>
>>8602982
We don't need to understand something to use it. While it would be unethical and dangerous to create and use something without fully understanding it, we've done it many times before. Humans didn't understand fire when they first started using it, all they knew was that it can cook food and that they shouldn't put their hand in it.
>>
>>8602986
What do you mean with this post? Dark matter, dark energy, and negative energy are all different things. Negative energy is the energy created by anti-matter, if I'm not mistaken.
>>
>>8602994
thats what i meant, yes.
>>
>>8602998
Oh. Well if you mean to say that dark matter and dark energy could create negative energy, then you might be right. The only issue would be developing a way to harness dark matter and dark energy.
>>
>>8602988
I am not sure how reliable GR is for things like this, especially time travel. I have a feeling closed timelike solutions would eliminated from the final theory of gravity.
>>
>>8603002
the question is if there even is such a thing as dark energy. i thik not, because negative energy is just another way of saying the system is lacking energy it normally should have. How you would create such a state is beyond my imagination.
>>
>>8603007
The idea of using negative energy for time travel is the weakest of the things I listed. The only reason people believe that it could be used for time travel is that it enough people suggested it.

>>8603020
True, but we have no other explanation for how things like gravity and many quantum fields exist. This is all purely speculative.
>>
Do they purposely look like Vulcan ships or is this a dig on Vulcans for being so logical that their ships have to match their theoretical calculations?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.