[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shit tier Universities I'll start >hands out degrees

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 9

File: ucsantabarbara_01.jpg (53KB, 528x416px) Image search: [Google]
ucsantabarbara_01.jpg
53KB, 528x416px
Shit tier Universities
I'll start
>hands out degrees like candy
>worst UC
>normies invasion
>ching chongs everywhere
>>
File: CSUFsealTR.png (237KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
CSUFsealTR.png
237KB, 600x600px
>>
>#37 Ranked National University on U.S News
>Shit Tier
>K
>>
>>8599437
the ones I got rejected from
>>
>>8599437
its like 65%+ chicks

its nickname is university of casual sex and booze.

you have to be top tier uggo/autismal to not be swimming in vagina there.
>>
>>8599470
>#37
Thats a middle low tier school annon.
>>
>>8599477
this
>>
>>8599437
It's literally in the top 3 physics programs in the US, you absolute dumbo
>>
Every CSU
Every UC except UCLA
>>
>>8599503
So their chemistry program is shit
>>
>>8599492
>#37 out of like 2000 nation wide unis
>middle low tier
>ok this is the real world bud
>>
>>8599492
>middle low tier
Are you just pretending to be retarded, anything above 65 is great. 45-35 is a tier above, 34-20 is next, then 19-11, then 10-1
>>
>>8599595
>>8599492
Then there is also the LACs, where its 35 and lower that are great. A notable exception to the tier list in LACs for /sci/ is Bucknell which is far better in engineering and sciences than its ranking shows. USNews recognizes this in a way by having them extremely high in the engineering rankings for LACs (7) but they keep their rank low.
>>
>>8599506
*and UCSD
>>
>>8599506
>tfw UCLA
T-thanks anon
>>
>>8599506
>UCSF shit tier
>8 in the world in medicine, above UCLA
>>
What did they do to piss off ER?
>>
>>8599506
Did someone get rejected from UCSF's m3d school?
>>
>>8599491
>you have to be top tier uggo/autismal
Where do you think we are?
>>
Hey guys,
Any opinions on University of Houston? Physics major
>>
>hands out degrees like candy

Explain?

Also

>2nd best physics program nationwide
>multiple Nobel laurets
>shit tier

Kek
>>
>>8599470
>>8599515
>>8599813

Well, what did you think? From the beginning this thread was made for the humble bragging of top 50 babbies who are depressed about the fact that their schools are way shittier than they expected and their only way to cope is to come here and subtly shit on everyone else.

It is pretty pathetic. I actually wonder if high tier unis have higher suicide rates.
>>
>>8599864
What university do you go to and what do you major in?
>>
>>8599861
Yo, UH physics major here. What year?
I personally think for undergraduates, you basically get the same education and degree as long as you take advantage of all the resources available (professors, research opportunities, extracurriculars, etc.)
College REALLY matters academically if you decide to get a graduate degree. Then you have to consider prestige and type of research.
>>
>>8599874
Starting 3rd year in fall. I'm done till Cal 2, and calculus based classical physics. What should I be expecting for my next 2 years here?
>>
File: OSU.jpg (229KB, 961x1013px) Image search: [Google]
OSU.jpg
229KB, 961x1013px
>>8599437

>best (engineering) school in oregon
>still shit tier
>>
>>8599886
M8 I'm just a puny 1st year. But I just finished Uni Physics I and Cal II myself, so we're in the same boat. Weird question, do you go to SPS meetings?
>>
>tfw you will never be born in California and have instate access to some of the best public universities in the country
being from a shitty midwest state sucks senpai
>>
>>8599866
I go to a top 800 uni for pure mathematics
>>
>University of Delaware

It's cheap at least. Quiet area
>>
>>8599437
Stony Brook University

#40 in graduate CS, that's pretty good right?

(#3? in Nuclear Physics and #2? for Geometry for you fags here btw)
>>
>>8599905
woah....
>>
>>8599932
nvm apparently #4 in physics and geometry each
>>
>>8599933
:)
>>
>>8599437

God tier schools: The one I go to

Fag tier schools: The one everyone else goes too

In all seriousness you're cancer and fags like you should be banned from this board
>>
>>8599946
you're just jealous that i go to an ivy lmao
>>
>>8599437
lmao I go to this school its the 8th best public university in the country and has the most attractive student body in the country what are you talking about??
>>
>>8599470
>37th
>in the US
Hah
Hah
Hah
>>
File: HELP.jpg (29KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
HELP.jpg
29KB, 300x250px
Just looked up my university (best one in my state)
It's ranked 111th uni in the country and 51st public uni. Looks like I fell for the instate meme
>>
>>8599904
Why even live?

But yeah this same thought has crossed my mind
>>
>>8599964
Which one?
>>
>>8599976
Nebraska, I guess it is not the best in the state but the best instate with an engineering program
>>
>>8599990
It's okay anon you were 1 post away from quints
>>
>>8599627
no UCSD is shit

>>8599813
>>8599847
we're talking strictly undergrad
>>
>>8599506
>tfw I go to CSULB

stop bullying
>>
>>8599964
you think that's bad? my university was 128th and then slipped over 20 rankings in a single year.

what does the administration do the same week that the new USNWR rankings show the >20 spot slip? they send an email about how the university is dedicated to diversity and don't even mention the ranking drop.

fucking leftist shithole.
>>
Literally University of Spoiled Children. As long as you got money you will get in.
>>
>>8599946
this
>>
>>8599506

This anon did not get into Cal.
>>
>>8599932

Stony Brook is a good school.
>>
>tfw UTD
>not even UT
>professors say undergrad engineering facilities are the best in the country
>u wot m8??
>last i checked was rank 130

a-am i gonna make it?
>>
>>8599954
Come fight me nigger, Unit 311 at the Loop above Pizzamyheart.

Come fucking fight be you cunt ass negroid.
>>
>>8600076
UCLA is better in literally every department that matters

sorry
>>
>>8600060
kek, I can confirm this. Knew some guy who dropped out of HS, went to jail, got a GED and got in because his dad was loaded.
>>
>>8600104
the sad howls of lonelyness embodied in 21st century prose
>>
>>8599900
'Best' engineering school is even more sad when you consider that UO doesn't even have an engineering school.
>>
>all this UCLA love
LA is fucking terrible and everyone who comes out of that school is a super dick that nobody likes working with.

>tfw when /sci/ is filler with highschoolers that don't even know calculus yet and they're arguing over schools
>tfw you're a grad student and just glad you can afford food
>>
>>8599952

kekekek
>>
>people taking rankings from usnews seriously
>people taking rankings seriously

Why do people take this shit seriously?
When UC Berkely and UCLA are out of the top 20 and only private schools are ranked in the top 20 you know these list are bullshit. The whole methodology is bullshit to begin with.
>>
>>8600798

So, which field is UCLA known for?

I know people that come from that school that think they are all that, but I never think of UCLA as being a top 5 school. Maaaybe top 10? Just barely?

But I don't know. That's why I am asking. What is it supposed to be known for?
>>
>>8599437
Any top tier university will have a high population of ching chong ling longs.
>>
>>8600060
Fine ass bitches though.
>>
>>8600798
Its universally recognized that the top publics are not top 20
The only serious, reputable ranking that has a public in its top 20 is Forbes, and they have West Point in top 20 because its really good at everything and has no tuition.
>>
>>8600913
>>8600798
Wait a minute UCB is #20 not #21 like I thought get the fuck out of here
>>
>>8600661
t. rejected from UCLA

>>8600804
They're not. It's a good school (I'd argue it's better undergrad than Berkeley) but Berkeley is better in most science fields. I think there are a couple of UCLA students trying to shit up the thread.
>>
>>8600804
Same fields as Berkeley, just a couple places behind in the rankings
>>
>>8599437
>mfw I go to UCSB
>it's literally shit-tier for undergrad
>cramped, stuffy, old lecture halls with desks sized for five year olds
>every required class has a waitlist larger than the class within minutes of registration
>zero access to teachers (1 office hour a week during my other classes, thanks assholes)
>half the people in the lecture hall are asians looking at anime on their laptop the entire time

I'm pretty sure it's an amazing grad school (at least for physics, I don't talk to anybody from other departments)
I passed on UCLA for this.. hmm...

Still not convinced that it matters much where you do your undergrad -- I'd much rather be somewhere with comfy facilities. I transferred here from a small comfy well-funded community college and almost every day I think about how much better of a school that was than UCSB. Why? New, modern, comfy facilities and amazing access to professors. What else matters at undergrad level?
>>
Any other Chem majors in this thread?

Who of y'all take the ACS standardized exam?
>>
>>8599506
>what is Cal
>>
>>8601861
You mean the Berkeley extension campus of UCLA?
>>
>>8600804
>So, which field is UCLA known for?

Uh, medicine, mathematics (dude Tao lmao), CS, chemistry, engineering? Microbiology, too. There's also some non-science shit they're probably pretty good at (business programs, law school), but this is /sci/.
>>
>>8601866
i meant that he should've added Cal as an exception

but yes
>>
>>8599442
Literally "I didn't get into UCI, UCLA, UCR, CSULB, CSULA, CPP or anywhere else and also can't afford to go out of state to ASU" the School. I spoke to transfer representative from there when I was getting ready to transfer from community college to a university, you could tell that deep down under her facade, she knew that CSUF was seen as and is, the fall back option of everyone in the county.
>>
>>8599900
If you join the Formula SAE team, you pretty much get a free pass into SpaceX and any other engineering job you want
>>
>>8601900
why?
>>
>>8601898
CSULA is worse than CSUF
>>
Just got rejected by Cambridge
>>
>at UCR
>ching chongs errywhere
>most people lazy

Idk its not terrible but its not great. If you really try here professors can help you a ton, its a way better environment than CSUs. People meme too hard, really unless you're at a shit tier school, what matters most in undergrad is whether you complete research and have good letters

>t. math major
>>
>>8602239
What subject?
>>
>>8599961
>37th in the country with the highest rated schools in the world

stay dumb eurofag
>>
>>8600284

UO does have a CS program though

>>8601900

I'm in CS/math, so I just made my own Android apps on the side to get an internship for the summer after freshman and sophomore year and the past two winter breaks as well. Already got responses from Twitter/Amazon for an internship this summer
>>
>>8600104
>the loop
lonely poorfag spotted
>>
>>8601721
this is a pretty valid complaint honestly
>>
is purdue good for engineering? (electrical and computer)

i might want to transfer from canada to finish my degree.
>>
>>8602289
Only the top ten or so unis in the US are on international lists. Your uni is several hundredth at least globally, op.
>>
>>8602561
a quick google search proves you're full of shit

I go to UCLA btw and not OP
>>
File: ucsb.png (176KB, 807x724px) Image search: [Google]
ucsb.png
176KB, 807x724px
>>8602561
you don't have the second best physics department in the world and be lowly ranked
>>
>>8602561
Thats just outright incorrect. Cornell is #15 in America and like #25 globally, as an example. American universities also completely domindate the top 50
>>
>>8602561

I really don't care about OP's school but this statement is just wrong.

American universities literally dumpster international schools for academic rankings. Everyone flocks to institutions in the United States. They have some of the highest block fundings, a combined total of which SHITS on foreign grants.

Does this mean foreigns schools are bad? Of course not!

This is coming from someone who applied to both US / foreign schools. It's just a fact.
>>
>>8602453

Yes, it is a very good school for engineering. Best of luck with the transfer.
>>
>>8602575
Me too! What major/year?
>>
>>8602652
microbio 4th year (technically 5th) undergrad

I applied to the PhD program for immunity, microbes, and molecular pathogenesis at LA and the cellular/microbio at UCI so here's hoping

what do you do?
>>
>>8602664
Chemistry 2nd year. I feel like a huge brainlet compared to some of the engineering kids that make up half of my classes
>>
>>8602670
don't worry breh

I came to UCLA from Glendale Community College, where i got B/Cs in the basic biology classes due to shitty study habits/procrastination. I improved and I'm getting mostly As with a few Bs in upperdiv bio classes despite them being harder.

Try and find where your faults lie and improve on them, also definitely try to get into a research program
>>
>>8601878
>Uh, medicine, mathematics (dude Tao lmao), CS, chemistry, engineering? Microbiology, too.
> CS

kek
>>
>>8602723
Can't tell if you're implying UCLA has a shitty CS program (I think they do) or CS is shitty in general (it is)
>>
File: 1479795943136.png (667KB, 3139x3287px) Image search: [Google]
1479795943136.png
667KB, 3139x3287px
Question /sci/

Does the name/prestige of your undergraduate college even matter? I always thought it was where you went to graduate school that was the most important.
>>
>>8603010
what do you think you'll use to get into grad school?

undergrad grades/research
>>
>>8603010

Mostly it is grad that matters, but undergrad will influence your future too.

Yes, life time net worth statistics show that undergrad matters too. I was a bit bummed out when I found that out.

My hunch is that the social networks/connections that you make in undergrad are important even after grad school.
>>
>>8599437

Obviously mad white boi who got caught creating
>>
>>8600913
>any of duke, johns hopkins, dartmouth, northwestern, brown, notre dame, wustl, uchicago, etc.
>better than cal

Though what else do you expect from a ranking system that considers high school guidance counselors and class size?
>>
>>8603111
if you don't know anything about a subject, then don't decide to just rattle whatever you pull out of your ass right then as if it was fact just because you think it sounds reasonable
>>
>>8601721

>cramped, stuffy, old lecture halls with desks sized for five year olds
>going to lecture

>every required class has a waitlist larger than the class within minutes of registration
This is a problem at literally every other public university though

>zero access to teachers (1 office hour a week during my other classes, thanks assholes)
Professors hate undergrads, what a surprise
>>
>>8603010
if you're doing a phd it's far more important who your adviser is than what school awarded you the degree.
>>
File: 1385996215000-cyclonesX2.jpg (17KB, 534x401px) Image search: [Google]
1385996215000-cyclonesX2.jpg
17KB, 534x401px
>>8599437
Currently at Iowa State for Engineering. Did I fall for a meme school?
>>
>>8603175
>if you don't know anything about a subject, then don't decide to just rattle whatever you pull out of your ass right then as if it was fact just because you think it sounds reasonable

Okay, then why did you reply?

You obviously do not know anything and have nothing to contribute to the conversation.
>>
>>8603194
to tell you to keep your ad-hoc opinions to yourself
that's more than enough contribution to the board to justify a post or two, you do this on several threads and it's very apparent
>>
>>8603111
Interesting. I went to a shit state school. But will be applying to Purdue for masters this year.
>>
>>8603180
I don't know anything about the undergrad education there, but there are two top tier profs working in my area of research at Iowa State. I would love to be able to do a research stay there in the future.
>>
>>8599900
The state of Oregon colleges is really sad. The only funded one is Nike U but they spend it all on academics because Phil Knight is a faggot.

OSU actually wants to be a great university but gets funded for shit.

Portland doesn't even have a Tier Two university.
>>
>>8603218
Sorry I am fucking tired, I meant spend it all on athletics.
>>
>>8603211
What field? I know we have a lot of great Aero E alumni and researchers.
>>
>nobody posts san jose state

wew lad thank god
>>
>>8602260
I have a couple of questions

I'm going to either CSULB, SJSU or UCR for ChemEng in the fall. How's the social life in UCR, and how are the classes?
>>
>>8603168
Chicago and Dartmouth are better than Cal, but even UCLA is better than the rest of those schools
>>
>>8603168
Overall they are better you fucktard because rankings don't go purely off of STEM, most majors aren't STEM majors. There are seperate rankings for engineering and UC Berkley and UCLA are both top 20 in that, I believe UC Berkley is top 10 according to USNews
>>
>>8599886
If you're "physics material", it's not that hard. I found EM waves tough but thats about it. Also, I suggest taking math beyond the minimum for your BS. Upper div linear really helped.
>>
>>8603261
Not the same anon.
The social life is alright but nowhere near that of UCLA or UCSB.
>>
>>8599627
nope
>>
>>8601861
literally who
>>
>>8599904
UC-jews accepts more internationals out of states than Californians
>>
AUSTRALIA

roll call.
>>
>>8603261
>How's the social life
This attitude is what has already doomed you to failure.

Life is gonna chew you up, spit you out and leave you to dry on the hot sidewalk
>>
>>8601721
>What else matters at undergrad level?
Brand name, research/internship opportunities, networking, social life, sports. Actual learning is secondary unless you're going to grad school, which of course you are because /sci/.
>>
What are my chances of getting into a good UC as an out of state community college transfer student with a 3.5 gpa who wants to study physics?
>>
>>8599900
>>8601900
Wow, a 900 post replied to another 900 post
>>
>>8603604
UWA in
>>
>>8603609
So what you mean to say is that there is none.
>>
>>8602195
For STEM stuff defense companies in the LA area prefer CSULA over CSUF. The only thing CSUF has going for it is it's teaching program.
>>
>>8603771
>>8599442
Doesn't CSUF have a pretty good business program?
I was under the impression that their accounting program is equivalent to SDSU. Am I wrong?
>>
Clemson university: a school for football fans. I'm trying to get out.
>>
>>8600017
are you fucking dumb. if it was 1 post away it'd be 99989 or 99991. you meant 9 posts away.
>>
>>8599964
People really need to stop with this shit.

If you're worth a shit, you'll make a name for yourself wherever you go.

You know the University of Alabama gets more goldwater scholarships than any other universty? 27 vs Harvard at 26.
>>
There seems to be a lot of cali residents in this thread so... I'm planning on transferring for computer science/engineering. How accurate is my ranking in terms of CS/CE for SoCal unis:

UCLA > UCSD > UCI > UCR > CPP > SDSU > CSULB > CSUF > CSUSB
I think UCR and CPP are equal but not too sure.

>tfw dirt poor
>tfw low 3.2 GPA because I can never focus on school due to work or constant financial and personal problems.
I'm still applying to UCLA, UCSD, and UCI but even if I get accepted (which I won't) I don't have the money to go. My only real options are UCR, CSUSB, CPP, and CSUF. Maybe SDSU. I'm nervous my GPA will get me rejected from most of those though.
>>
File: IMG_1101.png (31KB, 2000x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1101.png
31KB, 2000x600px
>>
>>8602287
Medicine
>>
>>8603614
as good as in-state
the good UC's don't really favor in-state
>>
>>8600111
what does have a conviction to do with the ability to go to college?
I got convicted as a felon the same year I enrolled into university, didn't interfere with the enrollment one little bit...
>>
>>8604521
Colleges are reluctant to admit registered felons for obvious reasons. Once you get admitted there should be no change but to get admitted is more difficult.
Thread posts: 139
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.