[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How badly am I fucked, and what do I do from here? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1472873092947.png (3MB, 1716x1710px) Image search: [Google]
1472873092947.png
3MB, 1716x1710px
How badly am I fucked, and what do I do from here?

I'm a Physics / Planetary science double major halfway through my junior year. I've fucked up a shitload, but I'm at least going to graduate on time. However, my cumulative GPA is in the tank (~2.6), I've never spoken to any of my professors, and I have zero research or internships.

Do you literally just walk up to a professor and say, "Hey, give me some research"? I've been looking through the research of the professors in my department and it seems so far above my level that its completely inapproachable. I also don't know how they'd react with a student they didn't even know existed.

Where do I start with this shit? Is it too late?
>>
>>8597200
Did they attribute a quote from a Christian apologist to Richard Dawkins?
>>
>>8597223
I don't know, it was a random /sci related image I took from my memes folder. I've never taken the time to fact-check the quotes. I wouldn't be surprised either way.
>>
>>8597200
Nobody else on /sci fucked themselves over a bit? Everybody here perfect students from the start?
>>
>>8597200

It depends on what do you want.
Safe to say you're not going to grad school. Unless you somehow ace the rest of your courses plus a few of graduate ones.

In that case, you should focus on getting a job. Search "physics" on job sites. None? Now you realize you're fucked, so fucked. There are several options. Perhaps teaching job, you may need further study or certification. Perhaps engineering job, which is a gamble. Even if you've taken quite a few of relevant engineering courses, they would still prefer actual engineering grads.

In any case, you need to improve your grades. And get an internship, any internship.

Let be this a lesson to /sci/. Don't double major. Physics is hard enough.
>>
>>8597252
I've had an internship with a tech company programming since highschool. Its boring as shit, but pays well, and they promised me a job anytime I'm in town. Its just completely unrelated to science and I'd shoot myself if I had to do it 40 hours a week, year-round.

It took me a while to figure my shit out. I've gotten C's in pretty much everything and failed at least one class every semester. But this past semester I got A's and one B, including two graduate courses I took.

Also, the double major isn't what it sounds like. The planetary science filled in all of my physics electives and so forth, so the course load is still pretty normal.
>>
>>8597267

I hope you're not trolling/baiting. Because your story is pretty common. Similar to mine.

Anyways, tough shit. You did badly in school. It's great that you still can find a job.

Say whatever you want, it's obvious the workload of double majors is too much for you.
>>
>>8597272
I'm not trolling or baiting. This is me legitimately asking for help.

The workload itself wasn't too much. As I said. It took me a while to figure my own shit out enough to actually be productive. I've got it figured out and have no problem being productive, organized, or getting work done at this point.

Now that I've figured out this part of myself, I was hoping that a year and a half was enough to turn things around and still go to graduate school.
>>
>>8597283

I don't know, man. The programming job BS. The shit GPA but able to get straight-As with 2 graduate courses.

Please stop sharing your fantasy on /sci/. Not healthy.
>>
>>8597283
You are not going to be able to turn this around in a year. You might get into a decent program if you spend a few years working to put some distance between yourself and your failed undergrad, then do a master's and perform really well in that while making connections and possible getting a paper. That could get you back in the running.
>>
>>8597200
>Do you literally just walk up to a professor and say, "Hey, give me some research"?
yes
>>
Is it possible to switch colleges if you have a bad GPA to start over?
>>
>>8598151
Nigga are you 15? No. Your new school would assign you a new GPA based solely on the classes you took at their institution, but any grad schools apps and jobs that care about GPA will calculate all courses taken (at all colleges you've attended)
>>
>>8598155
How would a job find out your GPA from previous institutions? I'm not OP, BTW. Just curious as how the system works.
>>
>>8597200
>real scientists being compared to scientific popularization twats
>>
>>8598155
I'm wondering if I fucked up dropping out of CC in the middle of a semester, because I thought it was a waste of time (too slow), and I'm now in a state school.
>>
>>8597200
Can't you just retake your shitty grades?
>>
>>8597267
You can probably land a job at Geek Squad. Best Buy still has them right?
>>
>>8597283
You chose a major that only gets you a job if you have a high GPA plus come from a top ranking school. You should have became an engineer instead.
>>
>>8598157
They require a transcript moron. It has your GPA on it. Unless you can get them to ignore whats written in it you chose a major you were not able to do.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.