[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys. I'm trying to prove that u.v=|u||v|cos(theta)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: NU Pepe.jpg (39KB, 327x366px) Image search: [Google]
NU Pepe.jpg
39KB, 327x366px
Hey guys.

I'm trying to prove that u.v=|u||v|cos(theta) without using the law of cosines.

But rather by showing it with the law of cosines I want to use a triangle like this:

hypotenuse v, base proj v onto u, final side v - proj v onto u.

I feel really close in doing this but like I'm missing something.

I have (u.v)/(|u||v|)=cos(theta)
then
(u.v)/(|u||v|) = (proj v onto u)/v

but can't get the next step. writing out (proj v onto u) as the definition of orthogonal projections (with the dot products) doesn't help me.

Has anyone done this before? It can be done, right?

I wish I took this shit in uni
>>
please help
>>
>>8596951
You have it backwards.

[math]cos (\theta) = adj/hyp [\math]

implies u.v is adj. And ||u|| ||v|| is the hypotenuse
>>
>>8596991

so you're telling me that

u.v = proj (v) onto (u)

and

||u|| ||v|| = v ?? that can't be right.

i have a right triangle drawn - imagine u on the x axis and v at (1,1).
>>
File: 20170112_151004.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170112_151004.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
THIS is what I'm trying to do

Can someone point out where I'm going wrong

Or how to continue
>>
>>8597066

so i don't know if i'm right in using ||v|| instead of v when i re-write cosine

and i don't know what to do

someone please advise
>>
>>8597066
>>8597077
>mgw covered this last lecture but can't help you excactly out

IIvII is just the length thus when you multiplicate a vector x with itself you get the actual length. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclidean_norm

So when you want to measure the angle of 2 vectors you just gotta calculate a*b = IIaII * IIbII * (cos alpha sin alpha) * (cos beta sin beta).

other than thatyou can use the basis-vectors. But that's some insight that might help you maybe to get you going
>>
isn't this sort of equivalent to proving the law of cosines?
>>
>>8597096
>>8597088
>88▶
>>>8597066
>>>8597077 (You)
>>mgw covered this last lecture but can't help you excactly out
>IIvII is just the length thus when you multiplicat

Yes but I'm trying to solve this without using the law of cosines, but using some sort of algebraic manipulation instead.
>>
>>8596951
Brainlet here.
what's the whole double bracketing for? Is that a double absolute value or something?
>>
>>8597111

it means the magnitude or length of a vector
>>
>>8596951
why not just pick a coordinate system where u_vec = (u,0,0). so u . v = u*v_1 and v_1 = ||v|| cos theta from the definition of cos.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.