[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm reading this book about differential equations, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: dx.png (200KB, 640x862px) Image search: [Google]
dx.png
200KB, 640x862px
I'm reading this book about differential equations, and I came to this.

Can someone explain this? I must have slacked off on my calculus.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>8594698
Integral of [math] \frac { 1 } { x } = \ln (x) [/math]

Indefinite Integration determines a function up to the addition of an arbitrary constant, since the derivative of a constant is 0.
>>
>>8594698

what is the integral of 1/x dx? what is the integral of k dx where k is a constant?
>>
>>8594709
what is the integral of k dx where k is a constant?

That's what I don't get. I get that the integral of dt is t. That makes sense, but I can't understand what is the integral of dx.
>>
>>8594698
int of (1/x) = ln(x)+c
int of c where is c is a constant = cx+ c
u fuckin dunce get out
>>
>>8594739
But where does the dx go?
>>
>>8594698
Literally integrate both sides.
>>
File: math1.gif (2KB, 213x173px) Image search: [Google]
math1.gif
2KB, 213x173px
>>8594743
>>
I guess I'm saying I don't understand anything about calculus as soon as they start treating dx and dt like variables and moving them around.

I understand what derivatives and integrals are, but Khan mostly just used f(x) and f'(x) notation, and then people suddenly started moving dx and dt around, and I was lost.
>>
>>8594753
Yeah, but in my mind, integrate means that you sandwich the thing between int and dx, so you would get

int 1/x dx dx

What am I not getting here?
>>
>>8594754
I might be wrong, but there is this thing called chain rule, and in the end you can move them around. In your case there is no movement happening.
>>
>>8594754
>I understand what derivatives and integrals are, but Khan mostly just used f(x) and f'(x) notation

The two statements separated by a comma are contradictory.
>>
>>8594762
1/x dx
->
dx / x

It's the notation being used. int f(x) dx. It's like m/s notation -- You can do things like multiply by seconds.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_of_a_function

>>8594762
you can integrate something only if it already has a differential. in the OP picture for example he integrated 1/x * dx and -k *dt, and in the pic you're quoting you're integrating 1/x * dx. In other words the dx can't spring from nothing and has to be there because it isn't simply an instruction that you put next to an integral to say 'integrate in this variable', but a mathematical object that you manipulate (as in, for example, multiplying the 1.11 in OP pic by dt on both sides)
you could, for example, look at it geometrically like pic related
>>
>>8594743
u integrated with respect to x, and you integrated with respect to t, theres no point to it anymore
>>
American education, everybody.

>>8594698

If you're not trolling, don't worry about it.
You'll get used to it.
>>
don't worry OP. i got through diff eq's just fine without taking any calc
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.