[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

alright dickheads let's see what you can do Explain to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: c_interval.gif (5KB, 352x273px) Image search: [Google]
c_interval.gif
5KB, 352x273px
alright dickheads let's see what you can do

Explain to me in a convincing way why a 95% CI does not mean a 95% probability that one will draw a random sample with the population mean in it
>>
>>8592242

The real question is, why WOULD it mean that? Please explain what chain of logic lead you to this odd confusion.
>>
a CI of 95% means that if the null hypothhesis is true then 95% of the time a randomly drawn sample will have a sample mean in that interval.

So I can't explain to you why it is not the case because it IS the case
>>
>>8592251

If I have a sack of marbles with 95% white and 5%black marbles in them, there is a .95 probability that a random marble i will draw eill be a white one, right?

So if we have an infinite pool of samples, and we can say that 95% of these samples lie within a certain range of the population mean, why can't I say that a randomly drawn sample has a 95% chance to be within that range?
>>
>>8592278
Because once you've drawn a sample, there's no randomness left in that sample. The randomness comes from drawing the sample. Once that is done, you have no randomness and you can just calculate the mean to determine whether the population mean is in the range. There's no probability here. It's like saying a constant is probabilistic, which it really isn't.
>>
>>8592278
How do you calculate mean and confidence intervals with a categorical problem? (I.e. black or white). What is the mean of 4 black and 5 white marbles? How does a black marble lie within a range of the mean? What does that even mean?????
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.