[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else on /sci/ wish to become a Renaissance Man?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: leo.jpg (612KB, 503x768px) Image search: [Google]
leo.jpg
612KB, 503x768px
Does anyone else on /sci/ wish to become a Renaissance Man?

I've been expanding my knowledge of mathematics, music, art/illustration, literature, physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, philosophy. I want to be the most well-rounded person in history. Obviously, geniuses like Da Vinci are an inspiration for me.

Are you working on becoming a polymath?
>>
NEET thread?
NEET thread.
>>
File: 1483558644868.jpg (290KB, 916x800px) Image search: [Google]
1483558644868.jpg
290KB, 916x800px
yes, also neet
>>
I'm also good at using google.
>>
Overrated jacks of trades. I'm dedicated myself to only a few subjects, else you'll never be the top
>>
It's possible if you can manage to dedicated all of your life to knowledge. Given that you are on 4chin, that may not be the case with you. Intelectuals are dying because no one can manage to be well rounded while also managing to seriously contribute to a field.
>>
I've literally mastered Philosophy, Literature and Mathematics and I'm only 20 years old.

All thanks to ebooks and Wikipedia. Thanks God!
>>
i respect your ambition. good luck in life my friend, maybe one day you'll have a great discovery in your search for the truth.
>>
>>8589652
I think that any man or woman who tries to spread himself/herself that thin will fail to gain an in depth and intuitive grasp of any of the fields they attempt to become proficient in.
>>
>>8590613
>I think that any man or woman who tries to spread himself/herself that thin will fail to gain an in depth and intuitive grasp of any of the fields they attempt to become proficient in.

>he actually thinks this in an age of internet communications and mobiles in everyone's pockets

It's easier than ever, friendo.
>>
>>8589652
yes
>>
>>8590613
in the pursuit of knowledge, you'd start to realize that all these topics are interconnected, and to attain a total understanding, you'd need to know about a wide variety of subjects
>>
are you legit retarded? there is not a single human who is capable of being able to master all of scientific subjects unless they were born geniuses, get a life faggot.
>>
It's a lot more difficult nowadays cause the new stuff requires so much more background knowledge that it's impossible to be an expert in many fields and contribute to the cutting edge topics.
>>
Yes, but my works are a bit more ancient than ye.

I'm working my way through Archimedes' Book of Lemmas, shortly to be followed by his Cattle Problem and then Appollonius' of Perga's On Conics.

I'm also reading Keynes' General Theory, and quite frankly this is an intense son of a bitch.
>>
>>8590581
Hmmmmm not sure if..
>>
>>8589652
Human knowledge has become far too specialized and compartmentalized for becoming a polymath to be feasible anymore. You will fail.
>>
>>8589652
Waste of effort. Nobody hires jacks of all trades.
>>
>>8590544
Yeah, and neither will you.
>>
>>8590618
thats when the breaking points gets clear
>>
File: 1483159312360.jpg (48KB, 443x600px) Image search: [Google]
1483159312360.jpg
48KB, 443x600px
Tbqh famalam I too want to be renaissance man. I've always been a triple threat between sports, physical sciences, and music. But I wish to one day master history and classical literature. What are some good books that aren't just memes?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.